My 1st Kit since returning to the hobby (Tamiya Jeep 1/35)

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I need help regarding decals! I've placed most of them okay, but I am having a huge issue with the very tiny ones that go on the front mudguards.

The decals are not bending around the plastic, just sticking up. I added these about 7 hours ago and added some humbrol decal fix in the hope they would bend around the surface but they aren't. I enclose an image.

is there a way I can fix this?

Attachments

• help.png
    help.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 18

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Tamiya decals are notorious for having very thick carrier film. This is not necessarily a problem when applying them to a flat surface larger than the decal, but it can be very much an issue with decals like you have here.

If Humbrol decal solution is still the same as it was thirty years ago, then it won’t do much to help the decal conform to the surface, I’m afraid. Micro Set and Sol are still the standard, really, and work quite well on all decals I’ve ever tried them on.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Leaving the decals to dry and then cutting them seemed to work fine so thanks for that.
Today I woke up looking forward to working on this more as I'm near the end, all was fine until I picked it up for a close inspection.

..oh no!!

I've only gone and snapped off the mirror and I don't know when. Noooooo!
I spent almost an hour looking for the part, with a torch, then on my hands and knees but alas I cannot find it. I'm guessing when I was doing the decals I must have caught the mirror on my clothes and snapped it.

So so very angry with myself right now. I guess it's another mistake I'll learn from, but it's such a shame and has spoiled the model a bit.

I'm a fool

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Steve, if snapping and losing to the Carpet Monster a small part from an almost finished model would be a fool's trademark, then all of us are or have been a first rate fool ... ;) but I don't really need to snap small parts from a model (which I did and still do sometimes) to qualify as a fool, I have much more effective resources in my backpack! :tongue-out3:.

More seriously: what Mark said it's a lesson most of us learned the hard way so don't be so harsh on you, it's a part of a modeller's daily life. :smiling:

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
s-l1600.jpg

great solutions to assist in decals as well

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I need help regarding decals! I've placed most of them okay, but I am having a huge issue with the very tiny ones that go on the front mudguards.

The decals are not bending around the plastic, just sticking up. I added these about 7 hours ago and added some humbrol decal fix in the hope they would bend around the surface but they aren't. I enclose an image.

is there a way I can fix this?
Just splatter it with mud Steve... No-one will ever know!! ;):tears-of-joy:

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well I think I'm pretty much done here. I've enjoyed myself a huge amount even though I've made a ton of mistakes. I am aware the weathering/dirtying is very over the top and less is more but I'll give it a pass for my first attempt.

Thanks for all your help and comments, you've all been amazingly helpful and very encouraging!

Here we go (a little shiny as the matt varnish hasn't fully set yet)
Overall I'm reasonably happy with it for my return to modelling, mistakes and all. Going to show the wife now and get her thoughts.

Attachments

• jeep1.png
    jeep1.png
    299.5 KB · Views: 11
  • jeep2.png
    jeep2.png
    418 KB · Views: 11
  • jeep3.png
    jeep3.png
    418.2 KB · Views: 11
  • jeep4.png
    jeep4.png
    339.8 KB · Views: 11

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well I think I'm pretty much done here. I've enjoyed myself a huge amount even though I've made a ton of mistakes. I am aware the weathering/dirtying is very over the top and less is more but I'll give it a pass for my first attempt.

Thanks for all your help and comments, you've all been amazingly helpful and very encouraging!

Here we go (a little shiny as the matt varnish hasn't fully set yet)
Overall I'm reasonably happy with it for my return to modelling, mistakes and all. Going to show the wife now and get her thoughts.
Love it mate,
Great Result.. especially for a returnee. :smiling3: