My 500€ kit

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
In a few days I will be "on half pay"... well not really half as the pay reduction is far lower than 50%, but, anyway, three of my colleagues and me are leaving permanently our activity waiting for our pensions (please, do not ask for details, it is difficult to explain it in my native language, I think it could be almost impossible in a foreign one :cold-sweat:).
Anyway, as a gift to our former colleagues I proposed, and they accepted, to build a scale reproduction of the historic monument standing in the middle of the main courtyard of our working place.
The making required a photo survey of the monument, the transformation of the pictures into a file that could be fed to a 3D printer, all done by a local specialized 3D printing firm. Moreover, some details had to be cast in resin to maintain an adequate level of accuracy. I just had to use sandpaper and files, a lot of good old "elbow oil" (literal translation of an Italian way of describing an intense manual working activity), assemble and paint it, add some details (mainly the glasses on the standing figure) and cement the model to its Plexiglas base.
It was not a difficult job but for the constant fear of a catastrophic mistake, considering the cost of the whole enterprise and the fact that my 3 colleagues had put their faith and money in the enterprise. If not enough, we are all married and extra costs could have lead to very difficult explanations at home :anguished:.
Here are some pics. Hope you will enjoy.
View attachment 367905IMG_5707r.JPGIMG_5795r.JPGIMG_5801r.JPGIMG_5814r.JPGIMG_5818r.JPGIMG_5829r.jpg

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
8th Alpini? Are you in Venzone?
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Andrea.

Hope you will post some more of this build as it happens.

"elbow oil" , as you say, here it would be very similar as elbow grease

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I don't know why, that motto seemed familiar. Now I have to remember where I've seen it before!
Pete

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
In a few days I will be "on half pay"... well not really half as the pay reduction is far lower than 50%, but, anyway, three of my colleagues and me are leaving permanently our activity waiting for our pensions (please, do not ask for details, it is difficult to explain it in my native language, I think it could be almost impossible in a foreign one :cold-sweat:).
Anyway, as a gift to our former colleagues I proposed, and they accepted, to build a scale reproduction of the historic monument standing in the middle of the main courtyard of our working place.
The making required a photo survey of the monument, the transformation of the pictures into a file that could be fed to a 3D printer, all done by a local specialized 3D printing firm. Moreover, some details had to be cast in resin to maintain an adequate level of accuracy. I just had to use sandpaper and files, a lot of good old "elbow oil" (literal translation of an Italian way of describing an intense manual working activity), assemble and paint it, add some details (mainly the glasses on the standing figure) and cement the model to its Plexiglas base.
It was not a difficult job but for the constant fear of a catastrophic mistake, considering the cost of the whole enterprise and the fact that my 3 colleagues had put their faith and money in the enterprise. If not enough, we are all married and extra costs could have lead to very difficult explanations at home :anguished:.
Here are some pics. Hope you will enjoy.
View attachment 367905View attachment 367906View attachment 367907View attachment 367908View attachment 367909View attachment 367910View attachment 367911
Hi Andrea,
A fantastic build and a credit to you.
I used to collect furniture from around your area, and bring it back to the UK. there was a roundabout and on it was a big chair, I can even visualise it now. Good luck with the retirement, there are a lot of us on this site.
MikeC.

Reactions: JR
First Name
Andrzej
That is a very nice project, Andy!!!! :smiling:

3D printing, how did you get the model to print in 3D?
I mean how did you convert real life deal to the printable one?

Great work!!!!! ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Amazing stuff andrea , looks fantastic . I must admit this 3d printing seems like black magic to me ( i struggle to get a regular printer to work ! ) Enjoy your retirement when it comes , cheers tony

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
That is a very nice project, Andy!!!! :smiling:

3D printing, how did you get the model to print in 3D?
I mean how did you convert real life deal to the printable one?

Great work!!!!! ;)

I used a very simple process, Andrzej: I paid a firm to do the job... :rolling: :money-face:
They scanned the "object" and transformed it into a 3D printable file, which they printed. I had to assemble it, sand it and paint it.
Having paid for it, I'm currently the owner of that file, but having no 3D printer, it's just a bunch of 1 and 0 sleeping on my hard disk.

Thank you for the compliments.

Andrea

First Name
Andrzej
I used a very simple process, Andrzej: I paid a firm to do the job... :rolling: :money-face:
They scanned the "object" and transformed it into a 3D printable file, which they printed. I had to assemble it, sand it and paint it.
Having paid for it, I'm currently the owner of that file, but having no 3D printer, it's just a bunch of 1 and 0 sleeping on my hard disk.

Thank you for the compliments.

Andrea

All understood, Andy!
Basically, you got the custom-made kit.
I am sure it was fun and worth the effort. ;)