My Airfix 1/12 Scale Figures from the mid 70's

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
As mentioned in my French Imperial Guard thread I have just found a bunch of these guys that I painted in my teens.

IMG_20200521_204327695_HDR.jpg
Most of us have long since lost all our adolescent model beginnings, but unlike many mums mine couldn't throw anything away, and I found these when I had to clear her flat after she passed away years ago. So I thought it might be good for a laugh to see what I thought was state of the art when I was about thirteen to sixteen.
I aspired to the likes of Max Longhearst and Bill Hearne,(remember his 1/9 scale BMW crew?) although I knew I had a long way to go.
They are very dusty so I will post them bit by bit as I clean them up.
This is the first one I made, aged about 11, and he won me an Airfix Flying Fortress in a model making competition at the local newsagents .
I repainted him in my later teens.
IMG_20200523_120552029_HDR.jpg
Happy nostalgia, folks!
Feel free to post your own tyro work here, too,if you have any
cheers
Neil

D

Deleted member 6559

So good to see these Neil - such a nostalgia trip, and you're lucky to have them, as my parents threw away everything (attic, fire hazard etc.). And for what it's worth, they are far better than anything I could have done at sixteen. Thanks for sharing.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil
A great memory. I'll bet you had as much fun back then as you do with your current work.
Jim
Cheers, Jim.
In some ways I wouldn't mind a return to that unthinking, unquestioning frame of mind where I just threw the Humbrol at it and was very chuffed!
Now I'm a lot more critical, self-critical and aware of the gulf between my abilities and my aspirations; and of the far superior talent of many others.
But I DO enjoy it, absolutely!

Fantastic. Was Queen Elizabeth the 1st and Anne Boylen in that series? I remember trying to paint them in about 1976...

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Great stuff Neil

Looks like all the mouldings were a bit duff really - kind of glad I never managed to buy them apart from Henry and Anne

Henry - I remember texturing all the fur and feathers on mine with the pyrogravure. It was also an early foray into using oils for the flesh trying to follow Shep Paines instructions

You do have Anne Boleyn - she is in that box anyway at the top of the post. Slap bang in the middle with a lot of gold. I seem to remember the actual scheme was dark blue with gold swirly pattern but the pattern was so badly engraved to the point of non existence that you had to try and make it up. There was ivy climbing up the sundial - remember that

Who's the headless wonder on the right?

Poor old Bony looks like he has stomach ache - explains the hand in the shirt :smiling3:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Yes Ann is there and the headless wonder is Henry, but they are much later attempts at getting my young daughters interested in model making. They didn't bite.......
The Ann Boleyn and Elizabeth I made are long gone.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Neil,
those certainly bring back memories - Richard the Lionheart was one of my favourites - the Black Prince, as well, although I was never sure about the large lion on the top of his great helm!
Some of those 1/12 figures must be real collectors items now - Joan of Arc & Queen Victoria - I can never remember from the 70's, and looking on ebay, I see that they fetch high prices....................
Dave

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil,
those certainly bring back memories - Richard the Lionheart was one of my favourites - the Black Prince, as well, although I was never sure about the large lion on the top of his great helm!
Some of those 1/12 figures must be real collectors items now - Joan of Arc & Queen Victoria - I can never remember from the 70's, and looking on ebay, I see that they fetch high prices....................
Dave
Absolutely, Dave, they were my favourites too-I think it was the separate helms as much as anything.
As for the Black Prince's helm, I may be wrong but I think it actually exists somewhere.
And guess what-?
Those two are the Grande Finale of this stroll down memory lane.
Ta Dah!

Richard I
Richard I.jpg
and a conversion to a crusader (who's lost his lance)
Crusader.jpg

And finally...... The Black Prince

Edward The Black Prince.jpg

well that's all folks! I hope you have enjoyed the nostalgia trip.
Cheers
Neil

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great nostalgia Neil. I really like the look of that crusader he almost looks like a medieval church statue.

John

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Love them all - eyes are excellent on them nice and central. but my fav has to be Bonaparte's happy expression, and name change :smiling:

Thanks Steve.
The eyes remind me of Russian or Greek orthodox icons.

and to be fair to my teenage self;

Napoleon - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Napoleon

Napoleon Bonaparte born Napoleone di Buonaparte was a French statesman and military leader who rose to prominence during the French Revolution

I was at least partly correct, although he had clearly changed his name by the age at which he is represented in the model.