My B-17 G project

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I agree with Neil. If you go too tight it becomes abstract, not linking the crew to the plane but just framing them.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Yes 2 engines looks great indeed, lovely project Peter!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I know it is the largest option and also the most work but in my humble opinion "first is best".
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
For me the first option the two engines and full wing give it a sense of size

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Peter

It has to be two engines. It b looks a bit odd otherwise.

ATB.

Andrew

Ps meant to say that I love the concept.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have made a decision ...

... which is: not to make a decision (yet) - I'm going to paint the three figures first and then worry about the wing. The main thing at the moment is that the general concept and vignette works.

not it's time to break out the paintbrushes ...

Peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

nearly finished the flight crew - just a little finer details to add but they are 90% finished:

A600C847-614E-4368-A4BA-2613DE092E52.jpeg

I now cannot avoid the big question: how much wing? I have decided thag there is no point in narrowing the wing, the width of the sign really gives an impression of how big the B-17 is. So it comes to one or 2 engines, and I am opting for two engines, the deciding factor was a comment that two engines makes it clear thag it is the wing of a four-engine aircraft.

i'm going to 'wing it' this evening.

Peter

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mais natur etc - two engines! I love your concept - very original! Will you blank or detail the exposed wing sections?

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Steve

blanking off the ends is the option I'm going for. I would love to have detailed, exposed wing sections but that would involve scratch building all of the internal struts, possibly fuel tanks etc, and I do not have the information (or time) to build that level of detail. I will leave that to somebody whose main hobby is aircraft.

Peter

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow, figures look good already Peter. As for the engines yes 2 .

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve

blanking off the ends is the option I'm going for. I would love to have detailed, exposed wing sections but that would involve scratch building all of the internal struts, possibly fuel tanks etc, and I do not have the information (or time) to build that level of detail. I will leave that to somebody whose main hobby is aircraft.

Peter
Peter.
That's very understandable - in the gentlest sense 'a pity' - however if I'd had the courage to chop that lump of plastic I'm not sure I would have the foresight or nous to do otherwise. I really look forward to the end results. Bon chance!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Love the figures Peter.

ATB.

Andrew

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi all

Last week has seen me working on this project and here is the nearly finished wing section;

06D50661-A60E-4A44-885A-01AC49EE2C0C.jpeg47C1C09E-499B-4C09-BCCC-52DD85C7D03D.jpegBDD2EE1E-A4A7-4216-98F0-EDDDD1D9FC26.jpeg

as you can see, I opted fir yhe two engines and full width wing. The base is simple; a piece of plywood with polllyfiller to represent the edge of the runway, and the rest covered with static grass.

a bit more detailing to add, ( and retouching thd tyre) and then the figures to add.

Peter

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Peter, I’ve just seen this, and may I say what a fantastic way of building this. It’s like 4 builds in 1. Also a fantastic start. I’ve now squeezed in at the back.