My Babe (not a nipper)

B

bartley

A couple of questions:

Might a Nieuport 11 ever have been fitted with a Spandau or Vickers gun instead of a Lewis? (I'm having trouble obtaining a model 7" Lewis whereas I can get either of the other two).

Is there any way to 'clean up' old Solartex so it looks new, or to 'weather' new Solartex so it looks old?

Thanks groupies,

Steve.

ps. I fired up my O.S. 25 engine for the first time recently and, Lo, Glo! she works after been languishing in a cupboard bolted to the Bebe for about 15 years - big thrill for a newbie and a pretty good recommendation for the brand?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A couple of questions:Might a Nieuport 11 ever have been fitted with a Spandau or Vickers gun instead of a Lewis? (I'm having trouble obtaining a model 7" Lewis whereas I can get either of the other two).

Is there any way to 'clean up' old Solartex so it looks new, or to 'weather' new Solartex so it looks old?

Thanks groupies,

Steve.

ps. I fired up my O.S. 25 engine for the first time recently and, Lo, Glo! she works after been languishing in a cupboard bolted to the Bebe for about 15 years - big thrill for a newbie and a pretty good recommendation for the brand?
*** Good evening Steve,regarding your question whether Nieuports ever had anything other than a Lewis gun fitted ? well according to my mighty tome 'Janes Fighting aircraft of WW.1' they certainly did use Vickers synchronised guns,so it looks as if you are in ! the Lewis on the other hand is one of the easier WW.1 guns to make up if you wished to go to the trouble.

Regarding the weathering of Solartex a seasons flying will certainly help that ! with oil and dirt getting kicked up onto the model,my very old Puppeteer now looks like the real thing after years of flying fun,to clean up the Solartex just use a mixture of water,washing up liquid,meths and a bit of white spirit mixed together,this unlikely concoction once sprayed onto your model with one of those diffuser bottles should shift a bit of muck from the airframe,failing that gungy castor can be removed with a quick wipe with a cellulose thinners soaked rag,but watch any markings or transfers as this could be a bit too violent towards these.

Hope that this assists you a bit.

B

bartley

*** Good evening Steve,regarding your question whether Nieuports ever had anything other than a Lewis gun fitted ? well according to my mighty tome 'Janes Fighting aircraft of WW.1' they certainly did use Vickers synchronised guns,so it looks as if you are in ! the Lewis on the other hand is one of the easier WW.1 guns to make up if you wished to go to the trouble.Regarding the weathering of Solartex a seasons flying will certainly help that ! with oil and dirt getting kicked up onto the model,my very old Puppeteer now looks like the real thing after years of flying fun,to clean up the Solartex just use a mixture of water,washing up liquid,meths and a bit of white spirit mixed together,this unlikely concoction once sprayed onto your model with one of those diffuser bottles should shift a bit of muck from the airframe,failing that gungy castor can be removed with a quick wipe with a cellulose thinners soaked rag,but watch any markings or transfers as this could be a bit too violent towards these.

Hope that this assists you a bit.
Many thanks as ever Barry. I've sent off for BMFA membership and am off today to check out a local club, (I live in Leeds btw), so am getting quite giddy now at the prospect of actually flying the Bebe!

Steve.

ps. The Concorde looks sooper.