My dilemma....

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I divide my stash in my mind between the more complex, sophisticated and expensive kits and the rest.

In the 'complex, sophisticated and expensive' category right now is half my stash. All Zoukei Mura and Tamiya kits are in this category and three of the six in the stash are ZMs.

I am now in a six month run-up to retirement and I am into the complex process of selling my regulated business and I dont really want to do any of my 'complex, sophisticated and expensive' kits over this period. I am facing a lot of changes that I cannot do into on here.

So that leaves me two Trumpeters, the P-40F and P-47 plus the Revell me109-G to choose from.

There are some kits that I am considering purchasing:

The 1/48 HKM B17G or an F if they release one, Yes, 1/48.... but in six months or so I might be in a position to accomodate it in 1/32..... and the Lanc.... Not sure about this one and, besides, this kit will be in the 'complex, sophsticated and expensive' categoty whichever scale I get.

The 1/32 Lancaster 'Nose Art edition is another option but then if I do end up being able to accomodate the full sized Lanc....

I also have also been eying up the HKM B25 but again that is a 'c,s&e' kit.

The Trumpeter Ju87 is another possibility.

There are other kits that are under development that I am keenly awaiting all in 1/32, the ZM Fw190, ZM (or HKM) P51 B/C, the HKM Spey Phantom, all of which may or more likely may not be released over this period but all of them are 'c,s&e'.

So - I have six months left, it seems much of it back working from home and just three kits, The Revell me109 and the two Trumpie P40 and P47 (possibly a fourth if I get the Ju87) to build. Even with the business sale work on top of my usual business I am likely to have more time at the bench so will these kits last me out?

The Revell next, not my favourite company but it was cheap and even if it is crap it should not give me too many headaches.

So? In case I get a gap are there are 1/32 aircraft that would not be 'c,s&e' that you would suggest I build? Perhaps, if I get a gap I might just take on your suggestions...

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
P.S. - I am considering doing a conversion of the Revell Spitfire Mk II to a Mk 1, correcting most of its many errors to depict a specific Mk1 flown by Bobby Oxspring as I have a pair of cuff-links made from the merlin of his Mk1 that crashed near Capel in Kent. That, though, despite being a cheap kit with the work involved would be a 'c,s&e' due to the extra cost and work involved.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Barry. I’ve read this a couple of times, and it seems you want a simple, hassle free build experience as a counterpoint to what will be a complex and potentially stressful period in your personal life. To that end, would a Tamiya kit not fit the bill? I know they are well into the c, s & e category, but the fit and finish is excellent so they will meet the stress free requirements in spades. The Revell or Trumpeter kits may generate extra stress at a time when you really don’t want it. Another approach is to take a sabbatical from the bench and research and plan one of the most complex builds, such as the Lancaster, until such time as you can give it the attention it deserves.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Tim, I have built multiples of the Tamiya's already and with these kits I always want to get a 'top-notch' result. So while they are a total pleasure, I place myself under pressure with them. Their quality deserves quality work.

With the others I really am not too bothered if I end up binning the kit (bear in mind I have binned only six out of a total of 68 builds). I don't expect to with those three simpler kits in the stash, I have looked through the kits and they all look quite straight-forward and would only be an issue if I decided to correct the errors in them and, other than some of the usual enhancements, I will just build from the box. The P40-F for instance is the short fuselage early F and I want to use markings for the later long fuselage F, which I will do and won't worry about it. It is more about the attitude of mind with which I will approach the kit.

So for now relatively cheap and disposable suits my needs. Though whats cheap means something different to everyone of course and what I regard as cheap is not the same as a lot of people.

It is going to be a stressful period and I do deal with that stress at the bench, it is about not adding to it at the bench and this is the way I think is best. Building but without 'investing' in it if you see what I mean....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What about going for something completely different, like a cheap and cheerful kit in any scale of something you simply like the idea of, rather than something that fits in with the rest of your collection?

For example, I have a number of old Matchbox kits (mostly Revell re-issues, but the kits are the same) that I sometimes take one out of to build straight from the box, as a diversion from the heavy lifting of doing kit conversions and/or historically accurate models of real vehicles.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
What about going for something completely different, like a cheap and cheerful kit in any scale of something you simply like the idea of, rather than something that fits in with the rest of your collection?

For example, I have a number of old Matchbox kits (mostly Revell re-issues, but the kits are the same) that I sometimes take one out of to build straight from the box, as a diversion from the heavy lifting of doing kit conversions and/or historically accurate models of real vehicles.
Good option Jakko. Perhaps subjects in 1/48 not represented in 1/32 like a BP Defiant perhaps.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Approaching retirement is both exciting and daunting. I remember it well. I did not have a business to sell but we did move house 500 miles in the same week. I wish you all the best.
Jakko's suggestion sounds very sensible - fits the bill perfectly and as you say has the option of something not made in your prefered 1/32 scale.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting Jim. When I retired last year I relocated further west from urban to rural. I found it quite stressful as well. I think it was the change from the well known to the unknown. A year on I wouldn’t change back for anything. Interesting idea of Jakko‘s. You could always go for a ground vehicle in 1/32 to compliment your existing builds.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Barry,
how about a 1/32 Revell Arado 196 - a 'A' if you can find it, or more likely a 'B' - it is different, and if you build it with the wings folded, really unusual!
Dave
I built the 'A' years ago and it remains one of Revell's best 1/32s. A very good kit.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Had you thought of any of the 1/24 kits around? I know the old Airfix ones need LOTS of work, but surely there are others - I know Trumpeter do some which shouldn't need huge amounts of correction or added detail.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
My biggest dilemma when I 'stopped work' was having loads of time but limited 'financial backing'. Add a pinch of build from the stash and find that the display space gets filled rather quick.