My feathered friend.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Poor thing Dan ,hope she's ok. Didn't think they did either, have seen them go for a rabbit with myxomatosis, and peck at it. Very cruel .
Trouble is John, they are not being cruel, they are simply trying to survive. Must admit I didn’t know crows did this though. I know Ravens do, they are known to attack new born lambs after all, but not crows.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
We only get raptors eermm....... I mean seagulls!!
(Collective term - Herring Gulls are the worst offenders).

Seagull-Feed-2.jpg

And yes they do eat other birds and small mammals!!
But their food of choice is anything that they can be "feed by" or "steal" from tourists.

Paul.
:smiling:

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Trouble is John, they are not being cruel, they are simply trying to survive. Must admit I didn’t know crows did this though. I know Ravens do, they are known to attack new born lambs after all, but not crows.

Yeah, it was a bit of a surprise to us. First one we've lost to a predator in 12 years of poultry keeping. Crows & Jackdaws regularly come and eat the feed but there's not much you can do about that.
Any type of feeder that will outwit a Crow will definitely stump a duck.....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just got home from my gardening job to be told by Christine that the bird had come into the open door way of the shed , walked through the cave and then under the carport by the open back door and looked it. Christine was sorting some raisins out for her, so gave her some on the ground which she ate, then walked back through the cave and into the garden !

I 've just received the mealy worms and took some out side, made the clicking sound and shes was down . Landing on the chair next to me and on to the table. Now eating away and flying off to feed the baby.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice one John. Our own Mrs B, normally sort of flops at my side when I'm digging in the garden. Sometimes I have to pause work while she inspects what I'm doing.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That’s got to be related to a turtle dove Richard, it looks so much like one. They are beautiful birds that are unfortunately very rare in our country now. They make a fantastic noise, almost like an oversized cat purring!
Hi Tim, have always wanted to know what Turtle Doves looked like since learning the lyrics to Twelve Days of Christmas. Looked it up in Wiki and yes they are both related and having the same markings. The Burung Tekukur is an Oriental Turtle Dove. Can't believe they come all the way from Japan, China, Korea and India during Winter. No wonder I don't see them now but more often nearer December. So it wasn't a strange coincidence that I saw a pair in a park in Tokyo.
Thanks for that Tim.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Just got home from my gardening job to be told by Christine that the bird had come into the open door way of the shed , walked through the cave and then under the carport by the open back door and looked it. Christine was sorting some raisins out for her, so gave her some on the ground which she ate, then walked back through the cave and into the garden !

I 've just received the mealy worms and took some out side, made the clicking sound and shes was down . Landing on the chair next to me and on to the table. Now eating away and flying off to feed the baby.
One smart bird John and what a kind gesture you both are doing for her.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim, have always wanted to know what Turtle Doves looked like since learning the lyrics to Twelve Days of Christmas. Looked it up in Wiki and yes they are both related and having the same markings. The Burung Tekukur is an Oriental Turtle Dove. Can't believe they come all the way from Japan, China, Korea and India during Winter. No wonder I don't see them now but more often nearer December. So it wasn't a strange coincidence that I saw a pair in a park in Tokyo.
Thanks for that Tim.

Cheers,
Richard
Ours breed in the UK and overwinter on the West coast of Africa, so long flight seems to be part of the breed ethos. Unfortunately loss of breeding sites has made them critically endangered. Numbers have dropped by 95% in the last twenty five years.
My favourite migratory UK bird is the Swift. From hatching in the UK they travel to Africa, back to the UK, back to Africa, and then back to the UK before they start to breed. In all that time they don’t land at all! They even sleep on the wing!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ours breed in the UK and overwinter on the West coast of Africa, so long flight seems to be part of the breed ethos. Unfortunately loss of breeding sites has made them critically endangered. Numbers have dropped by 95% in the last twenty five years.
My favourite migratory UK bird is the Swift. From hatching in the UK they travel to Africa, back to the UK, back to Africa, and then back to the UK before they start to breed. In all that time they don’t land at all! They even sleep on the wing!
You sure they don't have their own KC-135 tanker of their own for air to air re-fueling. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice one John. Our own Mrs B, normally sort of flops at my side when I'm digging in the garden. Sometimes I have to pause work while she inspects what I'm doing.
Yes Colin, that's nice when they do that. Trouble I nearly tread on the bird !
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This morning she passed me sitting outside and went through the cave to the back door, looking for Christine I suppose. I followed her slowly and she was under the car port having a look around. Then jumped up on to the fence and flew back into the garden.

Then returned to the table after I had loaded the feeder.
2021_5_2AS.jpg
2021_2_2AS.jpg
2021.jpg
No doubt she will be with me later as I sit at the table .

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Yes Colin, that's nice when they do that. Trouble I nearly tread on the bird !
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This morning she passed me sitting outside and went through the cave to the back door, looking for Christine I suppose. I followed her slowly and she was under the car port having a look around. Then jumped up on to the fence and flew back into the garden.

Then returned to the table after I had loaded the feeder.
View attachment 430074
View attachment 430075
View attachment 430076
No doubt she will be with me later as I sit at the table .
And she can strike a pose for the camera.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
well dhe is one looked after mother bird look at that big bowl of warms luck one,
good on you John for caring ;)