My first attempt with many mistakes (F1 car)

P

petemid

Well this has been a real learning curve for me, having no previous experience and just having asked a few questions on here before getting started.

View attachment 24099

One of the first problems I experienced were with the decals, I had real trouble applying them on curved surfaces.

I also didn't do any prep for the paint, so found that the Revell Aqua gloss paints didn't go on very well.

Still, it's been fun learning as I progressed and I am already looking forward to starting the next model, although I will stay away from F1 cars for a while!!!

View attachment 30640

F1 Model 1.jpg

F

Fenlander

We all learn by doing and if you have learned from this build then it is a good one.

However, given what you have said re the paint, I think it looks great for a first attempt. Cars are not easy as the are so dependant on the finish and the decals, neither of which are easy as you have found out. No matter how much people tell you how to do these things, jumping in and doing them is the only way to go so well done for your first and I hope you keep building them as you are on the right track.

P

phalinmegob

looks very good to me.with reference to revell aqua colours..stir it till your arm aches, and then stir it again,and get right to the bottom of the pot,i personally use cocktail sticks cos they are so cheap.i have been using revell decal fix for the decals with good results.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Very good first attempt Pete. I would be happy having that on my shelf. Learning as you go on is great. I'm still learning all the time and enjoying it for the most part. Stick with it and remember to ask if you aren't sure. Always a wealth of helpful people on here.

S

sprayman

Keep at it, we have all been through the learning curve.....in fact this hobby is one long learning curve.

F

Ferrets Bueller

Nice job man, i think you have done a cracking job on this. I think i have thiss model in my stash, is it a revell kit?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi pete, thats a great job first time or not , keep it up and give yourself a pat on the back ,you should be well chuffed. cheers tony

P

Plastickitbasher

Nice job don't give up keep going you'll get better. F1 cars are not easy so you should be very chuffed with yourself.

Treat yourself to some Micro sol and Micro set decal juice as that works very well.

W

wanna_be_aviator

Way to go buddy! It seems you went through the paint pain situation and came out victorious. Keep up with the good work and keep churning out some more of those beauties.

B

Bunkerbarge

Don't put yourself down, that is a great model and you should be proud of it. If you do a car again I would experiment with gloss enamels for the body as you might find them just that bit easier to work with for a high gloss finish. I would tend to use them rather than water based paint, mainly as they take longer to dry so are just a little bit easier and more forgiving to work with.

P

petemid

\ said:
Nice job man, i think you have done a cracking job on this. I think i have thiss model in my stash, is it a revell kit?
Yes it is Revell. As far as I can tell (with a complete lack of experience) the quality of the kit is pretty good, a couple of minor decals missing (I think), but generally everything seemed to go together pretty well.

P

petemid

\ said:
Don't put yourself down, that is a great model and you should be proud of it. If you do a car again I would experiment with gloss enamels for the body as you might find them just that bit easier to work with for a high gloss finish. I would tend to use them rather than water based paint, mainly as they take longer to dry so are just a little bit easier and more forgiving to work with.
Any recommendations of make for the gloss enamels? I have a Revell one in Fiery red but it seems to go on quite dark, although I probably need to experiment more with thinning.

B

Bunkerbarge

I have mainly used Humbrol throughout my modelling life but there are no hard and fast rules and personal tastes and preferences usually dictate choice more than anything. I know for a fact that Humbrol paint is now manufactured in China so it's not the same stuff it used to be so there is no hard and fast guarrantee.

If you haven't used enamel before though I would buy yourself a pot of Humbrol Gloss and have a play around with a bit of scrap plastic to see what you think.