My first conversion Tamiya Quad to a Ford LRDG Truck

F

Fenlander

OK, this is going to be either great fun or a total disaster but the plan is to convert a Tamiya Quad Gun Tractor to a Ford LRDG (possibly Bofors) truck. This will make a great addition to my Chevrolet LRDG 30CWT truck and the SAS Jeep which I would like to have as a dio showing all three vehicles in a fairly relaxed scene.

The conversion is a real hack job of the Quad as it will have an open engine compartment, open cab and an open topped 'Cargo Box' rear mounted on an extended chassis. Not a great deal of the Quad will be left.

On top of that, it should be equipped with Chevrolet 30CWT axels and wheels (it has to have the sand tyres on the wheels as opposed to the cross country' tyres that come with the Quad.

So, basically it goes from this

To this.

The whole of the Cargo box has to be scratch built from plastic card but this is not too tricky as it is a fairly simple unit with no curves or underneath shapes to consider so quite a simple project.

Wheels can either be bought in resin (traced some in the US but not keen on shipping them in) or new ones cast from the Tamiya Chevrolet, something I have never really done to the standard required.

Chasis needs extending by around 25mm which should be fairly simple

None of the upper body of the Quad will be used and the front mudguards, engine compartment needs to be built up for the open engine. Thankfully, the Quad does come with a reasonable engine but will need a bit of 'detailing up' as it will be on show.

The base of the cargo box should be the diamond pattern 'anti skid' metal sheet which I believe can be bought as Photo Etch sheet but I have yet to source these.

The Bofors gun is mounted on a very crude angle iron frame welded in the back of the truck cargo box although some towed or mounted an Italian Breda AT gun. This may be my preferred way of working as I have a Breda kit.

I have purchased a download PDF on how to do the conversion which is very good but lacks some of the finer detail descriptions of parts which it probably assumes anyone tackling this conversion would know how to sort out anyway. The PDF does have superb pictures and finishing details though and there is no way I could tackle this without this superb resource.

So, questions.

Has anyone done two part moulds of wheels to make resin casts and if so, do you have any tips on how to go about it? I assume that three casts will be required, a front, a rear and a spare wheel.

Accurate cutting of plastic card for making the cargo box. Again, does anyone have any tips on successfully getting square and accurate cuts? Do you use a normal square and steel rule or does anyone have jigs or special tools to do this?

Given that I have never done something like this, do you think I am starting with a project too ambitious?

I know that Ian is thinking along similar lines so it would be nice to make this a collaboration thread Ian if you fancy it.

S

sprayman

What a great project this will be Graham, is this the anti slip stuff you mentioned, as Im sure I have another 4 or 5 sheets of this stuff, dont know what kit they are from as I picked them up on my travels and at carboots, but they are 1:35. If your looking for anything then please ask, as my loft is stashed with all sorts and there are boxes brimmed with PE.

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

That is the stuff Ray, That is for some type of trailer according to the last picie. Looks good stuff does't it.

S

sprayman

Thats the only problem with my PE stash dont know where half it belongs, hmmm maybe I need to read the bottom to tell me...lol, well when you get into it and if your looking for something just ask Graham.

F

Fenlander

Cheers Ray. Only thing I can think of at this stage would be the anti slip plate. The back piece would be about 37 x 88mm and then bits to re floor the cab which are odd shaped pieces, not unlike those in the bottom picture of yours. The Quad is a bit like a Reliant Robin, half the engine and gearbox sticks into the cab so the floor is really under the seats and then in the footwells created by the protrusion into the cab. Two pieces about 35mm long by 25mm wide at the back tapering to about 15mm at the front. One for the driver side and one for the nearside. If you have anything like this I would be more than happy to buy them off you.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Graham

I don't think the conversion is too ambitious, what I would say is it will take quite a bit of time (my limited experience has taught me scratch building is a time consuming process). If you're prepared for a long build and take each section one at a time I can't see any reason why you can't complete this project. It will certainly be impressive! For plastic sheet I simply use a set square and pencil to mark up. For plastic strip I sometimes use a tool called the 'Chopper' which ensures the pieces are the same length and angle but I'm sure you could make some kind of jig if necessary.

As far as casting the wheels goes; this is how I'd approach the mould.

Take your wheel and secure it to a plastic block mount. Super glue this on to a plastic card base.

Now make a plastic card box around it ensuring it won't leak.

I would drill holes to except plastic rod the same diameter each side of the wheel (this will help keeping the mould halves correctly aligned when you get to pouring in the resin).

Ensure these holes don't leak!

Paint the mould compond on to the surface of the wheel and into the tread trying to get into all the detail.

Now pour in the mould compound well above the wheel and leave to cure.

Once cured you will need to first remove the plastic rods then pull apart the box your then left with the mould with the wheel inside.

Carefully (using a new scalpel blade) cut the mould open cleanly along the axis of the tyre tread (this should be through the middle of the block mount axis).

Once you've carefully cut around the tyre and separated the halves you can take out the wheel 'master' and you have your mould.

To use: place the halves together secure with 2 rods of plastic card (as before) and clamp together (but not too tight to deform the mould) then pour in the resin.

Use a cocktail stick to get rid of any bubbles in the bottom of the mould and then let the resin cure.

Repeat 4 times and you've got 4 wheels on yer wagon (+ a spare!)

I've drawn a little diagram

Hope this helps

PaulView attachment 20510

View attachment 27590

Mould001.jpg

F

Fenlander

That is very impressive and incredibly helpful Paul, many thanks. I have created a folder on the desktop to keep any notes, pictures and web links, this post of yours has been added to my notes. Thanks for the help and encouragement. I will certainly be giving it a go as part of the three most complex kits I will probably build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Graham.

I'm onboard for this one. i have just downloaded the PDF files for the one you have here the F30, plus the F60 the long wheel base one and a chevy 15cwt so loads to figure out here.

At the moment I am starting to sourse the kits and other bits I will need. I know my local plastic pusher has treadplates in both plastic and brass in various scales so I will look into that and what they cost.

The Download files are vaey good arnt they! Only one thing which is a bit off. There is a lack of dimentions on the F60 so you still have to guess at them!!! :confused:

As for the cutting of plastic card, I normally use an engineers square and hobby knife, just score the card lightly a few times and then snap it off. Trying to cut right through can result in wonky lines, curly plastic and loads of blood.

Pauls mold making tips are much the same as I do it only my way uses good old plastercine and silicone masse.

Right I'm off to do a bit of shopping! (dont you just love t'interweb and net shops. They just never close!!!)

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ha ! Back again. Just been to Poland and found these, any good Graham? Armo 35547 - Ko?a do 30cwt Chevrolet Truck (1/35)

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Nice link Ian, glad you are on board with this, should be interesting to see how they turn out. Those wheels in Poland are very good price, had to order them straight away. I will still look at learning how to make the moulds though but it is a relief to have the wheels sorted as most other things can be faked or got around, they cannot.

The PDFs are very good for some and quite basic for others. I got one for the M51 Sherman that was adopted by the Israelis when they were abandoned by the british in 1948. Loads of pics but not a lot of text. However, it was pence and is mainly about the finish so it does its job well. The one for the Ducati is just superb, quite a lot of bike ones.

This is the link for the PDFs should anyone care to take a look.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wow! Ambitious indeed but I don't see why you can't do it. I will however wish you the best of luck. I'm sure this will be both good fun and successful.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Graham, what was the price of the wheels in real money, I could only see the price in zloty or euro Have never got my head round the monopoly money.

They do look rather good, I think I will be ordering some in the near future.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

With postage at standard to UK rate they were 11.9 Euro which at the moment is £10.59.

I also downloaded the Ford F60 PDF, thanks for that, if this works out then I need another Quad kit lol Why not just do the F60, no need for wheels for that, it uses the standard Quad wheels.

Cheers Steve, lots of luck will indeed be needed.........

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The F60 Is made from palstic card and a few bits from the quad kit. I was thinking of starting with that one. The lack of sizes in the pdf is a bit of a bummer.

I will probably ordre the wheels in the next few day.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Base the width of the back as the width of the cab then start lots of extrapulations lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Graham, I found that japanese build ̤³ÎǧÊâ¹ÔʪÂÎ - Yahoo!¥Ö¥í¥° loads of good piccies there!

Dont know about that soup though!

Ian M

F

Fenlander

As you say, that soup looks really dodgy.... Anyway, The pics are really interesting but I think it is too long in the back. The builder has actually used a Bedford Lorry chassis for his (her?) conversion. This not only looks too long but the Bedford truck is built with a very high chassis height so with the repro Chevrolet wheels on, they look so small and the distance between the top of the tyre and the front mudguards is huge.

I thought at first the wrong scale wheels had been used until I viewed the page again using Google translate (the result of which is hilarious by the way, especially the soup) that is how I discovered a Bedford chassis had been used. Also the radiator, he does not say where it is from but does say (i think) that it looks to large.

Having said that, there is some good reference material there and it shows that really, someone should have made a model of the F30 and the F60, they are obviously important vehicles.

I am really looking forward to getting on with it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Now I'm not wishing you to blow all your pocket money on this little project, but seing how I know you will anyway, I might as well help

Here are a few things I have found whilst shopping around the net. Unfortunatly I have used my pocket money so I will have to wait and hope that you have not bought every last one in the world!!!

Right then.

37mm bofors AT should you wish for one Mirage Hobby 1/35 37mm Bofors Anti-tank Gun # 35212

Rib plate, diamond plate, all kinds of plate in fact Military Models and 1/35 Scale Models by Accurate Armour what ever you do DO NOT look at the kits on this web page. I hate to se a grown man cry. Its unbecomming. Just ask my wife. I think I got up over a grand in five minets!!! I do like the pioneer, and the matadors, and the Humbers and the tilly's and the !!! STOP ALREADY!!!

Happy hunting

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Oooo, you swine Ian. Have you seen the conversion set for the Israeli Centurion???????? And those combination kits.... OMG!!!!!

Need to focus, need to focus, need an Israeli Centurion.............

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry Graham I will make it up to you and stop sending you all these wonderful links. But not just yet.

New World Miniatures you said some thing about wanting some better figure.....

It wasnt you that out bid me on flea-bay today was it?

Ian M