My first layout

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
Hello everyone, I will try not to bore you with too much information. Just a little bit of background. I have been a fan of the various buildings card kits that are around. I have tried several different companies even though I have been told that some are not so good. I am not a purist by any stretch of the imagination. I enjoy what I build ( It is my way of relaxing.) The problem is I was running out of space to but all these finished kits. I am a complete novice and have square eyes from watching Utube videos on how to do...
My wife has agreed to let me have the kids old play room which is 16'x11' :nerd::thumb2:. so now the journey begins. because my main interest are the buildings, I have decided to only have a twin looped track going all the way round for animation. here my very patient friends are some pictures of the room. It looks very cluttered as I was constantly moving things all the time while I prepared the base. I told you I am a complete novice. If you are interested I will give you updates of my work. and guys i have hundreds of questions if you don't mind.
IMG_3897.jpgIMG_3898.jpgIMG_3899.jpgIMG_3902.jpgIMG_3903.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
First update. I am aware that everyone advocates planning a layout with track plans and such like. I have no plans at all. I am hoping fingers crossed that my layout will be organic in its creation:rolling: two ideas I have are a river and a beach. I have started the basics for the beach while I am saving for the backscene to arrive and while I figure out what to attach it too as i want to have curved corners. here are pictures of the basic start of the beach background and scratch built lighthouse and some wind breaks. with w road base and the polystyrene is where the track will pass through. still lots to do, but I am enjoying the process. it is a huge learning curve for me and I will make mistakes. but hey I'm not to old or proud to learn.
IMG_3711.jpgIMG_3712 - Copy.jpgIMG_3713.jpgIMG_3719.jpgIMG_3727.jpgIMG_3904.jpgIMG_3905.jpgIMG_3906.jpgIMG_3907.jpgIMG_3912.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Realising the dream. A great project to keep you out of mischief. Looks a good space.
I am not a purist by any stretch of the imagination. I enjoy what I build ( It is my way of relaxing.)
Well said.
Glad you decided to open a thread of this. You certainly won't bore me, sharing is a big part of the hobby. I'll enjoy following you progress.
Makuna matata - I hope there are 'no worries' and if there are then Marilyn will cheer you up ;)

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
Realising the dream. A great project to keep you out of mischief. Looks a good space.

Well said.
Glad you decided to open a thread of this. You certainly won't bore me, sharing is a big part of the hobby. I'll enjoy following you progress.
Makuna matata - I hope there are 'no worries' and if there are then Marilyn will cheer you up ;)
Its a nice slogan to have in a model room(my play room.) Give me a nice coffee, my audio book and some biscuits and I a happy bunny indeed Hakuna Matata... Marilyn always cheers me with her sultry looks.

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
Thank you guys for your encouragement. can anyone recommend a good tutorial for creating waves washing on the beach. I thought of using epoxy resin.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN Les could we see full size pics as your thumbnail pics are not clear for me as love to see this layout come to fruitaion
chrisb

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you guys for your encouragement. can anyone recommend a good tutorial for creating waves washing on the beach. I thought of using epoxy resin.

Welcome to the forum, Les.

Re. the question of 'Water'. Folks use different ways of obtaining a result they like.
Some use resins specially formulated to produce water. Personally, I don't like the stuff. Perhaps a bit unfair, as I've never used it. I just don't like the end result and it's too messy. Just my opinion based on what I've seen.

For a beach I keep it simple and just use acrylic paints, then varnish and add a bit of movement with silicone from a tube.

A word of advice. Try and avoid youtube and the like. Your head will spin!. I've never looked at tutorials, preferring to find out for myself and then do my own thing rather than try and copy.

Hopefully, other members will be along with their own methods I'm sure, so you'll have plenty of advise and info.

Best of luck with the layout.

Ron

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
Welcome to the forum, Les.

Re. the question of 'Water'. Folks use different ways of obtaining a result they like.
Some use resins specially formulated to produce water. Personally, I don't like the stuff. Perhaps a bit unfair, as I've never used it. I just don't like the end result and it's too messy. Just my opinion based on what I've seen.

For a beach I keep it simple and just use acrylic paints, then varnish and add a bit of movement with silicone from a tube.

A word of advice. Try and avoid youtube and the like. Your head will spin!. I've never looked at tutorials, preferring to find out for myself and then do my own thing rather than try and copy.

Hopefully, other members will be along with their own methods I'm sure, so you'll have plenty of advise and info.

Best of luck with the layout.

Ron
Thank you Ron. I agree there are so many conflicting opinions about modelling. I mainly look for inspiration as I do not have anyone to bounce things off. I have many hurdles to overcome track laying, electrics, analogue or DCC to name but a few. I want to keep it simple because I’m not a purist I want to enjoy it and not get bogged down in the mud of technical perfection. I will look at your method though. Thank you for your input.

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
While waiting for some acrylic colours to arrive and standing back to ponder the beach construction I have made a start on the lock and river.
I know to some of you, it may seem like I will have uncompleted projects going on the layout, I feel that the river and beach scenes are an extension of each other. Anyway enough babbling from someone who hasn’t had his first cup of coffee and his slice of toast yet I will elaborate. You will see from the pictures that the river from one end of the lock has not been constructed yet, this is because I am trying to work out where the viaduct will be for the river to flow under, this in turn is dictated by the track incline and decline position; so my thinking is not to plot the river course until the track is planned. However before I do that I need to put the backscene up. My head is starting to hurt. My wife built some beach huts yesterday it was nice to have her there with me working on the layout, I find her input invaluable her perspective contrasts well with my thinking. Anyway guys as convoluted as my build is, here are some pictures. The tunnel where the river flows through still needs work, but the mirror installed gives it some interesting depth.
IMG_3922.jpegIMG_3923.jpegIMG_3924.jpegIMG_3925.jpegIMG_3926.jpegIMG_3927.jpegIMG_3928.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Coming on well Les. On a big project like this one thing relies on another and so planning is crucial. Looks like you have everything in hand. I particularly like the lock gates.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Great progress, I can see where you're going with it, and it will be amazing once done.
It's great to have your wife interested in your hobby.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Les I have sorted out your pictures for you.
All you have to do is click on the "full Image" option when you have uploaded them and are ready to post the thread.

AS it is on the same layout, I have also merged the two threads to keep everything together where we can find it. ;)

Last edited: