My first layout

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
Hi Les I have sorted out your pictures for you.
All you have to do is click on the "full Image" option when you have uploaded them and are ready to post the thread.

AS it is on the same layout, I have also merged the two threads to keep everything together where we can find it. ;)
Thank you for doing that for me, my thread did look a bit untidy :thumb2:

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
Next big job is preparing the riverbed and banks. As you can see I have dug out the river and temporarily inserted the shortened viaduct which needs to be completed. Under the other tunnel by the lock I have removed the excess wood so the river is at the correct depth. It looks very deep, but the river bed and banks will be built up a bit so hopefully it looks more realistic. So out with the sculpture mould to create this. I have started to build a low road bridge over the river this will also help me judge the depth of the water so the narrow boats can go under. Once this is laid, it’s back to the beach to do some more work there.

Attachments

• IMG_3934.jpeg
    IMG_3934.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3931.jpeg
    IMG_3931.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3929.jpeg
    IMG_3929.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3935.jpeg
    IMG_3935.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3936.jpeg
    IMG_3936.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3937.jpeg
    IMG_3937.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 13

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, I did post them full size. If I click on them they seem clearer…
HI Les yes a bit better but om my laptop the pic is only about 4inches sqaure but when you load your pics up an it say insert pics if you press the insert an hit full size the picks will come up a lot clearer an bigger which to look at you wonderfull work needs to be so but thats just my opinion but from what i see nice work

Reactions: MrT

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
HI Les yes a bit better but om my laptop the pic is only about 4inches sqaure but when you load your pics up an it say insert pics if you press the insert an hit full size the picks will come up a lot clearer an bigger which to look at you wonderfull work needs to be so but thats just my opinion but from what i see nice work
Thank you Chris. I did press full size for the pictures maybe there is something I’m missing; I will check it out.
Thank you Ron. I agree there are so many conflicting opinions about modelling. I mainly look for inspiration as I do not have anyone to bounce things off. I have many hurdles to overcome track laying, electrics, analogue or DCC to name but a few. I want to keep it simple because I’m not a purist I want to enjoy it and not get bogged down in the mud of technical perfection. I will look at your method though. Thank you for your input.
Thank you Ron. I agree there are so many conflicting opinions about modelling. I mainly look for inspiration as I do not have anyone to bounce things off. I have many hurdles to overcome track laying, electrics, analogue or DCC to name but a few. I want to keep it simple because I’m not a purist I want to enjoy it and not get bogged down in the mud of technical perfection. I will look at your method though. Thank you for your input.
Hello Ron, I have painted the sea ready for a coat of clear epoxy or water effects or as you suggested varnish and silicone. What do you think will it pass as sea by a beach? IMG_3942.jpeg

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
While waiting for some acrylic colours to arrive and standing back to ponder the beach construction I have made a start on the lock and river.
I know to some of you, it may seem like I will have uncompleted projects going on the layout, I feel that the river and beach scenes are an extension of each other. Anyway enough babbling from someone who hasn’t had his first cup of coffee and his slice of toast yet I will elaborate. You will see from the pictures that the river from one end of the lock has not been constructed yet, this is because I am trying to work out where the viaduct will be for the river to flow under, this in turn is dictated by the track incline and decline position; so my thinking is not to plot the river course until the track is planned. However before I do that I need to put the backscene up. My head is starting to hurt. My wife built some beach huts yesterday it was nice to have her there with me working on the layout, I find her input invaluable her perspective contrasts well with my thinking. Anyway guys as convoluted as my build is, here are some pictures. The tunnel where the river flows through still needs work, but the mirror installed gives it some interesting depth.
View attachment 508791View attachment 508792View attachment 508793View attachment 508794View attachment 508795View attachment 508796View attachment 508797
That’s beautiful I hope some day make a Static model railroad using old Airfix railroad kits and the theme will be somewhere in the UK.Maybe I need to get started soon I’m not getting younger lol. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: MrT

MrT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Les
That’s beautiful I hope some day make a Static model railroad using old Airfix railroad kits and the theme will be somewhere in the UK.Maybe I need to get started soon I’m not getting younger lol. Thanks for sharing
If you can, do it. I find the process therapeutic and totally relaxing. I do not rush anything, I frequently stop and ponder, it is surprising how some of my inspiration comes from just looking at my progress