My first non WW2 Tank-M41 Walker Bulldog

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Mr Smith .
Apart from my age giving much joviality amongst the natives this is looking good.

I know what you mean about Fruils, I like to use them where I can as find them easier than plastic tracks, even with all the help and suggestions I fail to get them to fit like Si Benson. With care the rubber ones can look ok.

I recently read of a primer by Deluxe Materials for use with rubber the enable the join to be made with CA rather than the heated screwdriver. Don't remember anyone mentioning this before or even using it .
Why thank you Mr.Race,much appreciated!:thumb2:
The more recent rubber tracks are much improved,compared to their predecessors,and even those can be beaten into submission with a good old "Everbuild Mitre glue kit" ;).
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi andy

Sorry I'm a late arrival.

You could have done it as WW2 - well WW2 1965! I think I'm right recalling that Bulldogs were used to represent Tigers in the 1965 film Battle of the Bulge. Historical inaccuracy at its best!!!

The build is coming along nicely.

Peter
HA!! Yes i know what you mean:tears-of-joy:,I`ve seen that film so many times,and even though it still niggles away at me knowing the tanks are so wrong i still love it!
(I love the way that the Main German Tank Commander,Robert Shaw,acutely talks over the radio to "First PANTHER Tank",or "Lead Tiger Tank"...... even though there`s blatantly NO difference between them...... Well,as they`re ALL Pattons,as Jakko points out,there wouldn`t be would there?!!:smiling5:).
Thanks for the compliment btw,it`s very much appreciated!
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Coming along nicely Andy, the paint looks good.
Hey Graeme,nice to see you mate:thumb2:,
It`s getting there,as for the paint colour,well,to be honest it was more luck than judgement;),i spent so long looking into the correct ones,and getting advice from the great folks on here,that my tiny little Devonian mind overheated and i imploded in a sticky mess:poop:!!
Luckily,like most things that are left to my,Goldfish like,attention span,it very quickly passed,and i went for plain and simple Tamiya TS5!!:nerd:
Cheers,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
They are easy to confuse, because the shapes are fairly similar. (Not surprising, as they were designed around the same time to the same basic philosophy.)

I once built an Italeri M47, painted it Panzer grey with generic German markings, stuck a Tamiya German tank commander in the cupola, and took it to a model show with a little card saying, “Tiger Tank, The Battle of the Bulge, 1965” and waited to see how many people appeared to spot something wrong. One or two pointed it out to me, to which my reply was that the card was absolutely correct :smiling3:
HA!! Nice one:thumb2:,
Funny that the Patton has suddenly been brought up in this thread...... I`ve actually been building one alongside my Walker Bulldog!;).....
....... AND........ I have to say......... I`ve developed a SERIOUS liking for post WW2 American Armour!!:surprised:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A`noon then Guys,
Thanks for all the support,and bits of advice/info...... it makes for an interesting blog :thumb2: !
Well,i have a small amount of progress,mainly surrounding some figures,which some of you may have already noticed on the "Latest Acquisitions" thread.Anyway..... here they are as they SHOULD turn out:anguished:........
Nam fig.jpg
..... Now,here are mine so far,just assembled and primered.........
IMG20210423172949.jpg
IMG20210424131613.jpg
IMG20210424135520.jpg
I have an idea for the little Dio i want to do with this Bulldog,it`ll involve just ONE of this crew,...........and a couple of other figures that are still "In Transit";)
I also bought these paints to help the Troops along.........
IMG20210422140646.jpg
New to me,being normally just a VJ man,but i`ll give `em a go:thumb2:!!
Thanks for looking in Chaps,as always,any hints,tips,or plain ole abuse is most welcomed!
Cheers,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy,
Looking forward to these mate, which of the three crew are you going to use?
Yeah Scottie,they`re very nicely done figures,
I do have more clean up to do on them,which has been shown up by the pics :flushed: ,
For this Walker Dio i shall just be using the Guy blasting away on the MG,(Got those others on the way to complete the scene;)),the other two i will use on the Patton,that i`ve been secretly building up at the same time as this baby:nerd:!!(Another cracking kit i may add:thumb2:.
Thanks for looking in buddy:hungry:,
Andy

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you want to be accurate, you’ll have to paint that crew (meaning skin tones) as Vietnamese, because the Americans didn’t use the M41 in Vietnam. However, you run into accuracy problems with the figures in that case: these are wearing jungle fatigues, and they’re US Marines to boot. The ARVN wore uniforms with straight pockets and a much tighter cut, whereas jungle fatigues had slanted pockets and were very loose. The two full figures have M1955 body armour on, and that’s a USMC-only item — ARVN crews would have worn US Army M1952 or M69 vests instead.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
If you want to be accurate, you’ll have to paint that crew (meaning skin tones) as Vietnamese, because the Americans didn’t use the M41 in Vietnam. However, you run into accuracy problems with the figures in that case: these are wearing jungle fatigues, and they’re US Marines to boot. The ARVN wore uniforms with straight pockets and a much tighter cut, whereas jungle fatigues had slanted pockets and were very loose. The two full figures have M1955 body armour on, and that’s a USMC-only item — ARVN crews would have worn US Army M1952 or M69 vests instead.
Jakko,Sir,thanks for that wealth of info,your knowledge on this subject is very useful indeed :thumb2: ,
I shall "Withdraw" those figures from this Walker build and use them in the exact,same scenareo with the Patton that i`m building at the same time.......
Patton 2 - Copy.jpg
Patton 1.jpg
.... and i know that these were used in Vietnam by the Marines...... so we`re good to go this time!!:tears-of-joy:,
Cheers mate,
Andy

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well Chaps,
Some progress has been made on this Bulldog,not a lot mind,as,for obvious reasons,i`m now looking for some US ARMY Tank crew figures..... which are proving to be a little elusive :flushed: ,
But the 50 Cal is now mounted and a tiny bit more weathering done.Not worth posting up yet,but hopefully soon:thumb2:,
Meanwhile,as you may`ve read earlier,i`m cracking on with the Tamiya M48A3 Patton Tank,a VERY recent kit compared to the Bulldog as it`s stamped 1981 on the sprue:tears-of-joy: ,
Again though,a thoroughly enjoyable and easy build...... i`m lovin` it!!;)
Cheers for now guys,
Andy

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
'A Hundred Miles of Bad Road' by Birdwell & Nolan is a pretty good book on M48s in VN. PaulE

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
'A Hundred Miles of Bad Road' by Birdwell & Nolan is a pretty good book on M48s in VN. PaulE
Paul!!.......
ALWAYS a pleasure to see you drop in mate,excellent :thumb2: ,
Between yourself and Jakko i have the ULTIMATE ref for US AFV`s..... thanks very much buddy:cool:
BTW..... How`s your boy getting on,is he still modelling also?!!
Andy

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thank you. No, neither of my boys took it up, although PJR has become quite the WWII history buff. He accompanied me on my "European WWII Military Museum & Battlesite Tour". His knowledge of WWII German Eastern Front activity is encyclopedic. PaulE

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you. No, neither of my boys took it up, although PJR has become quite the WWII history buff. He accompanied me on my "European WWII Military Museum & Battlesite Tour". His knowledge of WWII German Eastern Front activity is encyclopedic. PaulE
That is a shame,
Mind you,from what you`ve said there,you`ve got a full on buddy and your evening conversations will never be dull........ unlike me .......
...... who has a son that wants to talk Games,Games ,Games!!...... And he`s 23,you`d think he`d know better!!(At least he`s got a good job though!!),
Andy

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Jakko,Sir,thanks for that wealth of info,your knowledge on this subject is very useful indeed :thumb2: ,
If you’re wondering about anything else (related to this :smiling3:) don’t hesitate to ask :smiling3:

I shall "Withdraw" those figures from this Walker build and use them in the exact,same scenareo with the Patton that i`m building at the same time.......
.... and i know that these were used in Vietnam by the Marines...... so we`re good to go this time!!:tears-of-joy:,
Yep, they’re fine for an M48A3. Just paint that in USMC green and not US Army olive drab :smiling3: