My Great War build

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Late January this year my father in law and local amateur historian, announced that he was planning a Great War commemoration, and asked if I could build a few bits for display. I can't say I worked solidly since January (but it seems like it) but lets just say, the final exhibit (SE5a) had it's final coat of varnish late last night.

Here's what I've built for display.

Eduard Sopwith Camel (This was already built and in my collection)

Eduard DH2 (I had started building this last year - a head start)

Roden SE5a

Then ;

Airfix Mk 1 Male tank

Airfix Mk1 Female tank

Emhar MkIV Female tank - 'Flirt II' the wife's contribution, she liked the name !

And of course the Trench diorama. Now then dioramas and me are not normally associated so it was a bit of a learning curve. I started with the Airfix WW1 Western front set. This is supposed to be used as opposing trenches with German forces on one side, British on the other. Well it wasn't really what the father in law wanted, so I chopped them up to make one long British trench.

I apologise for the lack of pics, but it was such a big job and with working to a dead line taking build pic's didn't happen to often. If I happened to have my phone on me, I would take a few.

So, what have we got;

Lets start with the tanks. A new area to me, but I now know why the armour boys are always smiling. Seams, no need to sand - fill - sand - fill - sand. Glue them together and done. Brilliant, I like tanks.

View attachment 86263

This is the start of the Airfix 1:76 Male and Female tanks. Construction of these 1960's mould was quite nice. Both good little kits the only difference being the guns. 2x 6 pounders for the male and 4x 0.303 inch Vickers machine guns for the female tank.

View attachment 86264

Vickers guns were very plain, so I rolled the handle of a scribe over them to create the air cooling holes. It worked well, adding just a bit of detail.

View attachment 86265

This is what both male and female tanks look like after an hour or two - really simple build.
View attachment 86266

Boy and girl tanks in primer along with a field gun and the first batch of figures for the diorama.

View attachment 86267

At this stage no one is completely sure how the tanks were painted. Some or all MK1's were camouflaged designed by Solomon J. Solomon, an early pioneer of camo' techniques. But the actual colours remain a bit of a mystery, one reference even mentioned pink as one of the colours. I've decided on some colours based on some black and white photo's - a bit daft really !

View attachment 86268

View attachment 86269

I've used Humbrol masking fluid to create the camouflage. I've never used it for this before, but was really happy with the way it worked.

View attachment 86270

The above shows the Emhar 1:35 MkIV tank, 'Flirt II' the wife liked the name and made a good effort at building the thing, obviously I was in charge of quality control. Just like the little Airfix kits, this went together easily with not too many parts to get to the stage.
View attachment 86271

Blurry photo for the 2014 Cosford contingent, who remembers me drawing the 'cast making material' (I don't know its real name) from the raffle. Well here it is in use. Picture as promised.

View attachment 86272

Mk IV tank "Flirt II" completed.

View attachment 86273

Above, Airfix 1:76 MkI male tank completed.

Now then, some might know that the MkI tanks are not actually MkI's. The story goes that Airfix went to Bovington Tank museum to measure up for production of MkI tank moulds, however, the tank on display was actually a MkII, just labelled up as a MkI and so for ever more, Airfix have been selling MkII tanks as MkI's

That's a bit of a big post, so I'll do the trenches and aircraft later.

Colin M.....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

R

Ray Scheller

Well done. Camo is outstanding and your use of mud looks like the real thing. It may seem like you spent a lot of time on these but it was time well spent.

Ray

Z

Ziper_it

Very nice words, pics and models. Great weathering too.

Francesco

P

Polux

Very well done Colin!

Lovely models and excellent weathering and mud effect ;)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
both are Brilliant,tanks Colin,great camo and weathering as well ,very nice build,:rolleyes:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I like that Colin what did you use for the mud ?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks all for looking and the comments.

\ said:
I like that Colin what did you use for the mud ?
Alan, I used a mud kit from these people. www.model-supplies.org.uk It's my first attempt at mud, and this stuff was easy to use.

View attachment 86299

Remember the Vickers machine guns I tried to get a bit of life into, well this is how the looked after painting. Dimples (cooling holes) achieved by the knurled handle of a scribe.

IMG_0370.JPG

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Thanks all for looking and the comments.Alan, I used a mud kit from these people. www.model-supplies.org.uk It's my first attempt at mud, and this stuff was easy to use.

View attachment 86735

Remember the Vickers machine guns I tried to get a bit of life into, well this is how the looked after painting. Dimples (cooling holes) achieved by the knurled handle of a scribe.
Cheers Colin it does give a great effect and great work on the vickers :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, the next part to my Great War build is the Trench diorama. I'm not a dio' person normally, but at the request of the Father in law, had to create something.

So the below, took quite a few months to complete. It really needs more soldiers, but I couldn't face painting more of the 1:76 scale things anymore.

View attachment 86402

View attachment 86403

View attachment 86404

View attachment 86405

View attachment 86406

View attachment 86407

View attachment 86408

View attachment 86409

The above was made by taking the two opposing Airfix trench systems, and sticking them next to each other, giving us one long British trench. Then layers of mud and more mud etc.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

First Name
Mike
Great work Colin, the tanks and the dio. What did you use as reference for the trenches scenario?

T

treyzx10r

Thats a huge undertaking Colin and you're doing great with it! Really like how the cammo on the tank came out as well!

D

Deleted member 3568

Those trenches are amazing great work really love it, I can see how it would take a long time to do. Congratulations on a great job.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hey Colin, that is very, very impressive work. The tanks, diorama, that Flanders mud all look very realistic. You've taken to dioramas like a 1/76 duck to water!

Your father-in-law must be really pleased with the display it's great work.

Well done mate, magnificent stuff!

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Top drawer stuff Colin.....

That is one excellent diorama.

Very well done.....Big 5* (In old money!)

Ron

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Great work Colin, the tanks and the dio.are just superb very well done,:rolleyes:

First Name
Aaron
Swwwweeeeettttttt....The sleeping soldier is a nice touch.