My Huey ...

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Peter sorry im late on this one but choppin off the tail OH NO why must it be chopped off ? are you short on space as I love a huey as when me an the misus was on holl in malta in a place called selima we sat on the hotel balocany an whatched two hueys hover over some boats out in the bay doin some kind of exersize an it was great to whatch these choppers doin their thing the niose from the rotars was great an it made the holl for us
chris

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Chris

the main reason for chopping off the tail is not so much to save space, but to reduce the imapct of the helicopter on the scene - making the figures the focal point rather than the helicopter.

!!! DISASTER !!!
while cutting the tail I managed knock the figure and his leg snapped:

BE706CAB-C36F-469D-A1A7-D20BE4B6F22A.jpeg
this happened yesterday, I tried to glue it using Araldite and after 24 hours the join was not secure, so that's the end of this project. A real shame because it was looking quite good.

now it is back to busts.
peter

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I tried to glue it using Araldite and after 24 hours the join was not secure, so that's the end of this project.
Isn’t Araldite a two-part epoxy glue? Chances are that you didn’t mix it correctly or that it’s old and has gone off. I’d try removing the glue and giving it a second go before giving up.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Please don't give up ,Peter I was so looking forward to this.
How about pinning with thin piano wire, either side of the hole?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
No ! Please dont Give up on this one peter . How close is the figures back to the fuselage of the helicopter ? Im thinking a seriously thick metal rod , about 2/3 mm drilled into his side as far as you dare and then into the sill of the Chopper just under the door opening, hopefully the close contact will hide the join and the contact points of the figures arm and currently severed leg will strengthen the joint a bit more , has to be worth a try?

D

Deleted member 6559

No, no, no, no Peter! Grab some superglue. You can't give up on this.

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
I'm with Tony can you try pinning it. It will be a real shame to bin this.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Was told once if you can move your foot in a clockwise direction while air drawing the figure six you might be able to fly a chopper. Don't give up, this is really a worthy effort. PaulE

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

thank for the kind words and the support.

I think that epoxy adhesives' bond strengthens wiht time so I have re-fixed the leg and put the whole thing (with remaining figures etc) in a box and safely on a shelf out of the way where it can stay for a couple of weeks. At the end of the month I will come back to it when, hopefully the glue has really cured hard. I may even add a couple more figure on the ground.

in the mean time, its back to my Sarnia Miniatures busts - I am finalising something quite different to commemorate the 80th anniversary of Dunkirk.

Peter

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very wise as Captain Mainwaring would say,Be big shame to trash this one Peter,A break and return later on with fresh eyes is a good tonic.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Been following without comment but just have to say I'm so glad this is still going as it was just so, so good. I'm sure that in a couple of weeks the glue will have set solid.
Jim

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

Before I really start Work on my WAAF bust fof the BofB GB I thought i would give this one another chance. If you remember the figure jumping out of the helicopter has metal pins going through it to support the chopper. Disaster struck - the leg snapped just below the knee, just at the top of the metal peg.

my original intention was just to glue the leg together, but giving it more thought I think I need to really strengthen the joint.

Step one was to cut off the are of the shin to expose the metal pin. Fortunately I was able to cut off a nice chunk of the leg in one piece.

CBCCD1D0-6DCD-47A8-A7C6-22F5B2EEEE60.jpeg

the next step was to carve a quite deep groove in the leg of the figure which is deep enough and wide enough to take a small length of copper tube. Thie hole in this was widened so it will fit over the metal pin sticking out of the boot.

the photo below shows the chunk of the leg above the figure, while below the figure is the length of copper tube:

CD4D7721-A28C-456D-A71F-07819B6546EF.jpeg

This next 2 photos shows the tube in place:

56739290-2717-4E23-A487-C1A0A69C300D.jpeg

2FF6F337-7DCA-44C1-9707-C67E623803BF.jpeg
And the next with the 'chunk' of leg back in place:

6F2A1125-5C79-4858-AEF9-F74281B8AFEC.jpeg
the next clearly shows the tube which will fit over the metal pin
010956D5-58F5-4ADA-9ACC-87B30E7EA971.jpeg

And the last photo The metal tube has been fixed in place with some Araldite epoxy glue and will be allowed to cure for a few days.

C46338C8-10C2-47AF-A889-AD24BFD575E6.jpeg
When the glue has cured therd will be a bit of filling and re-sculpting so that when re-painted the figure can be easily fitted over the pin sticking out of the boot. Well, that's the plan.
Peter

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's some serious surgery there Peter. Impressed at your drilling of that lower leg section.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
John - here are the 3 tools I used - drill, knife and chisel. I do like using a set of Jewelers/mini-screwdrivers as chisels. Not what they are designed for but they work.

Peter

D7D6E782-B5B4-4357-B58B-4FE2330F1222.jpeg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Good to see you’re continuing on this one after all, and it looks like that fix should be enough.

However, I have to ask: how far does the wire go into his other (right) leg? I couldn’t find that on a quick read through the earlier parts of this thread, but if it doesn’t also go at least into his torso, I have a feeling that leg is likely to snap next.