My layout in the making

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Here's some photos of the new baseboard between the two 6x4 ones with some track on it the track in the photos is for the diesel depot and paint shop.

layout1.jpg

layout2.jpg

layout3.jpg

layout4.jpg

layout5.jpg

in this one is all my stuff for the layout

layout6.jpg

On the 6x3 baseboard the ply sheets still need to be screw down as there are only 4 screws in it to hold it in place.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Right i have finished the 6x3 baseboard as it is all screwed up two legs have been fitted to it and i am starting on the upper level tomorrow,but for now i have relayed all the track onto cork to see what it would like with it under it i have placed the turntable on there too but all track will have tobe taken up again to work on upper level anyway here are some photos.

mylayout.jpg

mylayout-1.jpg

mylayout2.jpg

mylayout3.jpg

mylayout4.jpg

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Today i have done abit of work in between helping my dad with the stairs and my bad back the first five photos are of the incline going up towards the small station on the upper level.I also need to fit a few more supports to it.

incline.jpg

incline1.jpg

incline2.jpg

incline3.jpg

incline4.jpg

And this one is where the small station will be on the upper level but it needs to be cut on my scroll saw and then fixed in place then i can work on the incline going up from main baseboard which is about 7ft long.

upperlevel.jpg

The incline going under the baseboard towards the train lift will be fun doing as the 6x3 baseboard has to be removed to do it,while it is removed i can sand abit more off the strengthing brace for the incline going under as it is a bit to tight still when removing the baseboard on one end.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Today i have cut the 4x2 board to shape and fitted it as you will see in these photos and i have also placed the other 4x2 sheet for the other side and the centre piece aswell which both need cutting.

upperlevel0.jpg

upperlevel1.jpg

upperlevel2.jpg

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well i only built the frame today and fitted it as i was to tired to do any more work and my back was hurting abit to but i have some photos of the frame.

framework.jpg

framework3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A

adzam

thats about two weeks work at the speed i go at !!

well done mate, coming along a treat

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
That frame took me an hour to build but the 6x3 took me a few days to build plus i still need to build the removeable section too then build the upper level on them when the ply tops are fitted at the weekend.

B

Bluewavestudios

Coming on nicely now Steven and a lot of work clearly gone into that.

Bet B&Q are making a fortune out of you with all that wood....!!

Keep us posted as it looks very promising.

Regards........Mark

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
They'll be making more money from me this weekend when i buy yet more timber plus i'm buying more track that is need to complete it.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well today i remove the 6x3 baseboard to sand the brace for the 6x4 baseboard as i will need it when i cut i hole through the side of the frame for the track to the lift,also i thought the track going to the lift would just be all straight track across the 6x3 baseboard then a curve section but know i forgot that the brace isn't a complete 3ft as i had to cut about 3" off for the screws holding the leg onto frame to beable to be removed.

so now the track will have to cuvre across the baseboard about 6" using 2 R.606 and 1 R.600 so the track will be inline with the hole for the track to the lift,but it's just good that i found out now and not after i had glued the brace onto the frame.

And also the 6x3 baseboard slides in better now i have sanded the brace abit more.

Heres a photo to show what i mean about the track also that part of the board where the track is will be cut out and lowered from 0mm to 60mm below the main baseboard but will be 6ft long and not just where the track is in the photo.

base.jpg

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Couldn't wait till saturday so i got my dad to take me to B&Q tomorrow after he finishes work for the timber then saturday i will get the track, plus i started to dismantle the cross members of the 6x4 frame work ready for tomorrow here some pics to see the bare frame.

bareframe.jpg

bareframe1.jpg

bareframe2.jpg

the pile of wood you see on the train set boxes are the cross members that i used for the layout and now i will replace them with 3x1 timber for added strength.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Got the wood today and have put new cross members in and refitted ply tops here's some photos of the new cross member from underneath the layout as i decided to take them after fitting tops on.

10.jpg

joints.jpg

joints1.jpg

joints2.jpg

And heres 2 photos with the plytops refitted and the other bareframe refitted too and the 6x3 has just been place in postion for now as i need to hover the floor and it was in the way.

rebuilt.jpg

rebuilt1.jpg

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well today i got the ply top completely screwed down here's some pic of the finished baseboard tops.

board1.jpg

board3.jpg

And i also got this done today aswell which is the incline towards the lift just needs to blocks fitted under it to hold it in place here's some pics of it.

This one is of the hole i had to cut through the frame of the other baseboard frame work so i could carry the track throught it towards the train lift.

under-.jpg

and these are from different angles

under1.jpg

under2.jpg

under3.jpg

under4.jpg

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Today i got all the upper level done apart from afew supports and the removeable section which will be built tomorrow i have done abit of it today by fitting two side rails to support it,i will have some photos tomorrow as i need to clean the layout up after a hard days working on it.Also the incline is in too which looks better the way i did it which is the same way adrian has done on his and karls layout,tomorrow i will also start glueing cork down for the diesel depot area and engine shed area too.

If i can get the layout cleaned up after i will try and take some photos of the upper level and the finished incline, the return incline will be built when the track has been pinned down as it will be easier to do it then.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Started laying track down even though the cork isn't glued down yet as i needed to know if i would need any more cork an boy do i need more,i've tried to salvage as much as i can but i think i will need another two packs atleast but the problem is i don't get paid for another week and half :sad: so i will have to wait till then to get some more.

Plus some of the cork needs tobe cut to size as it is slightly wider than the ply here's some photos i took tonite.

tracklaying1.jpg

tracklaying0.jpg

tracklaying2.jpg

tracklaying3.jpg

5.jpg

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Here's some latest pics of the layout with more track layed out, but some parts of the layout i have to cut R.600 track section to fit in where need.Plus the cork on layout that isn't glued down needs to be cut to size and i have just layed down the cork just so i can lay the track on top of it.

layout0.jpg

layout12.jpg

layout13.jpg

layout15.jpg

layout14.jpg

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Started pinning track down this morning but yesterday when i cut the cork the track wasn't in the right place so i ended up cutting it to short so i have had to cut an extra 26mm wide piece to add to the other cork so the track when layed will have a 10mm shoulder at the side, and this afternoon i will be for the first time on my layout soldering the rails to brass screws and solder dropper wire to the underside of the rails for power.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well the soldering begins tonite as i have just glued the edges of two cork sheets to hold them in place when i drill the holes for the brass screws to hold the rails in place,once i get into the swing of things it shouldn't take me long to do it all but i will cut the track rails once i have done all the lower level and then check each join that power is being transfered throught the wires.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well i did the first two soldered rails just so here's some pic's

solderedrails.jpg

solderedrails1.jpg

solderedrails2.jpg

When i drilled the a holes for the screws i think i should used a 2.5mm drill instead of a 3.2mm drill as the screws went in on a angle instead of straight so i will have to use a smaller drill for the rest of them and make a better job of them than that one.