My Loft Layout

D

Deere-est

Like many other hobbies people have be it railways, R/C, military etc; I'm not hugely interested in the hobby itself but can't help admire the work you all put into them. I'm bloke, I love noise, machinery and things with levers including the bar down the Green Dragon!

So to see anything in miniatre never ceases to amaze me. What draws my attention with model railways is the scenic side of things. My hobby being model farms is hugely made up of sourcing limited accessories in 1/32 and that turns into making most of it at times. Whether it's scatter, cargo on dock, people on a platform, buildings. . . the attention to detail fascinates me and this is no exception. Loved looking at your photo's and appreciate the time you took to upload them.

N

N B FORREST

Very impressive! Bet you dont get leaves on the track!

G

Geoff Cropper

Loft Layout.

No leaves on track, but in picture No. 1 of 10 you can see a class 47 in parcels livery pulling the track maintenance GUV wagon which I modified by removing the battery box and replaced with a plywood box, open at the bottom, which covers both rails even on 1st radius curves. Inside the box, which just misses the track by 1mm, is a block of wood, hardboard or MDF with a flat piece of lead on top to hold it down on the rails. When it's been pulled round the track about 10 times, I clean the black stuff off by rubbing the block on a piece of sandpaper. See pics.

View attachment 17747

View attachment 17748

View attachment 17749

Track Maintenance Dept. 1.jpg

T.M.D. 2.jpg

T.M.D. 3.jpg

S

swiftspeedstar

Some Great layouts out there hope to hear about more ;)

F

Fenlander

I have always wanted a layout like this. Two things stop me, money and space. As both are in short supply, it won't happen. What I like about this is the weathering on the engines etc. Much better than the traditional pristine rolling stock.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice layout Geoff, as Fenlander points out it's nice to see 'Used' rolling stock and a very good job you have done on them with the weathering.

Seeing Shapfell brought back a memory from my trainspotting days when steam was King and diesels where starting to make an appearance.

At Chester we had 'Ingleborough' which was the same class as Shapfell and my friend and I managed to sneak on board to see what the inside of a diesel looked like. Needless to say we were caught and the driver delivered a size 10 hobnail boot into my mates rear end, he missed me 'cos I jumped out onto the rails side and my mate tried to run along the platform!!!...Happy days, I could bore people ridged with such tales and I still have my Holt/Allan combie.

Thanks for posting the pictures of your excellent layout for us to see.

Ron

P.S. Until recently I sailed out of Treath Coch (Red Wharf Bay) Wonderful place, Anglesey....starting to burble now and go off thread, sorry!

T

tonyb6000

Great layout! Just one thing, don't put your cigarettes out so close to the solid fuel tanks (pic 4, second set) you could cause an explosion! Only joking, like I said, great layout.

S

Spyderman_uk

That is very impressive!

I will even forgive you for having no "proper" engines on there!:tongue:

Nice weathering, especially on the 47.

Terry

P

Paul1978

Great layout Geoff. And like the guys said, the weatehring is superb. There's something theraputic about sitting back and watching trains run on a layout. I've built a small N-Gauge layout myself and i can sympathise how much work goes into one.

Fantastic!

Paul

G

Geoff Cropper

View attachment 16173View attachment 16172View attachment 16171View attachment 16170View attachment 16169View attachment 16168View attachment 16167View attachment 16166View attachment 16165View attachment 16164View attachment 16163Hi Guys, Thanks for the comments, my weathering is very low tech, using Railmatch brake dust paint diluted with white spirit then washed on with a large soft brush so that it runs into all the crevices just like it does when it rains on the real locos. Here's some more recent pics,( I hope ). The ciggies are section markers where the isolation joint is. regards, Geoff.

View attachment 24333

View attachment 24334

View attachment 24335

View attachment 24336

View attachment 24337

View attachment 24338

View attachment 24339

View attachment 24340

View attachment 24341

View attachment 24342

View attachment 24343

587193172s.jpg

984756628s.jpg

777063648s.jpg

226960878s.jpg

882750187s.jpg

874886522s.jpg

970985299s.jpg

289361746s.jpg

236843783s.jpg

920383891s.jpg

146833816s.jpg

N

noble

Although iam not a model railway person...... at least not yet however my friend and work mate is and i do find it totally fascinating i do love the pics the layout and the details are amazing.

scott

M

msm2

Your pics brought back some good memories when I worked for BR many moons ago. May have worked on a couple of those in the pics. Tony

I

ian lanc

Very nice indeed Can you do one like this please.....lol

The Colliery in the back ground is Shirebrook Colliery i used to work there.

S

Sulzer

It's when I look at layouts like this when I feel like giving up on my own layout... I could never build a layout as good as that!

G

Geoff Cropper

Hi Sulzer, Never say never. Just start off with something simple then just keep adding bits. I'm still tinkering with my layout, do they ever get finished I wonder? I have a rake of HEA coal hoppers and a coal sub-sector class 37 to haul them. Unfortunately I don't have a class 56. Regards Geoff. PS. I also haul them with a dirty old class 58.

Last edited:
A

andygh

That's a lovely layout :welldone:. One day I'll have a spare room that's really spare :emo2:

N

noble

I do like the layout and i agree with Graham the weathered rolling stock is much nicer than the clean stuff. One question though in everytrain set i have ever seen why do they not have drivers? seems a little strange to me.

scott

R

rkapuaala

Sweet, but how does it look from the floor looking up at the loft?