My most expensive Armoured Vehicle kit

F

Fenlander

Ages ago, I splashed out and bought a 1:24 scale resin kit of the Austin Champ from Kit Form Services. Primarily a company making resin stuff for truck builders, they now have an impressive military range. Not long after, I bought the 4x4 MK2 Humber 'Pig. At one time, this iconic vehicle was seen on most news broadcasts patrolling the streets of Northern Ireland during the height of the 'Troubles'.

Although retailing at £150, this superbly made kit in resin and brass is a gorgeous kit and at 1:24, is quite a decent size. I was considering putting this in the Non Tracked Armoured Vehicle GB but realistically, there is no way I will finish this in time for the March deadline but I will build it on here at some point.

A few pictures of the kit, I didn't unpack all the bits as resin can get knocked about a bit. There is also a sheet of fabric that will be used to make the seat belts.

Not your usual box of sprues, these kits come as bags of bits

The instructions are photographs of the kit being built, no part numbers or anything, you have to identify the bits from the pictures, not as bad as it sounds.

A few of the parts

The brass and steel. The real vehicle was 'up armoured' with plates on the inside and the kit represents this by having brass plates fitting on the inside of the crew compartment, the two big plates you can see on the top brass sheet On the silver plate you can just about see rows of tiny shapes labeled A and B. These are the seat belt buckles for the fabric belts, should be hours of fun making those!

If you want to have a look at the KFS range and some really great pictures of this kit, take a look here click on "Military Range" on the left hand menu and scroll down

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Not a cheap kit Graham, but I know you will do it justice

P

Polux

Wow!! Impresive model Graham!

Will be a very beauty model in your hands.

Cheers

Polux

First Name
Drew
Looks like a very nice kit can't wait for you to start on it.

How are the resin parts? Are they pretty clean or is there a certain amount of de-flashing needed?

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
oh yes looking forward to seeing this build graham ive always been tempted to by a plus model all resin one day perhaps

F

Fenlander

Always a bit of cleaning up on resin Drew, the first job is to get all the bits and wash them to get rid of mould release, it was a fun job on the smaller champ, this has more bits lol. KFS kits are well produced though, there is no cutting off pouring blocks like some resin kits, all that is needed is some cleaning up with a knife to get rid of any pips etc.

I hope to start this soon so I will let you follow it on here but these are not quick builds.