My Number 2 - N.A.B.S. :D

S

Scuff

Or Not Another Bl@@*¥ Spitfire...... :D

Thanks for all of your encouragement on my Me262 on another thread.

My current just started build is a Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire mkVb, chosen for nostalgic reasons as t was the first aircraft I built as a lad with the help of my dad.

This my first build using photo etched parts... And its taken me all day to do the cockpit. I just can't believe how fiddly some of the parts are. I used a magnifier, cocktail sticks with 'spit' on them to manipulate them.

May I ask how you PE veterans do it, or is there no easy way. Thanks in advance.

Here is what i have done so far.

Regards

Scuff

GTMedia Services

FlickrR: Flickr: GTMedia's Photostream

Last edited:
First Name
Dave
Nice looking cockpit.I struggle with PE parts myself.I have found using tiny spots of superglue gel applied with a tooth pick works for me as theres no risk of it running all over the model and ruining it.I also use use Microscales Crystal Clear for attaching some parts as any excess glue can be wipped off.

S

Scuff

\ said:
Nice looking cockpit.I struggle with PE parts myself.I have found using tiny spots of superglue gel applied with a tooth pick works for me as theres no risk of it running all over the model and ruining it.I also use use Microscales Crystal Clear for attaching some parts as any excess glue can be wipped off.
Thanks for your advice Dave

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looks like you've managed to do a good job so far Graham. I don't think there's an easy way with PE parts but using a magnifier is I find essential. Keep the good work up.

Vaughan

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice start Scuff.

I'll enjoy watching this one.

Tony.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice job!

PE parts are a bit of a fiddle aren't they. It seems like you've cracked it there though. I do find a bit of CA accelerator can help with some parts,it gives an almost instant bond and means you don't have to hold the part accurately in place for more than a few seconds. It's also good for attaching antenna wires to masts or tail fins with a minimal amount of CA!

Cheers

Steve

S

Scuff

\ said:
Nice job!PE parts are a bit of a fiddle aren't they. It seems like you've cracked it there though. I do find a bit of CA accelerator can help with some parts,it gives an almost instant bond and means you don't have to hold the part accurately in place for more than a few seconds. It's also good for attaching antenna wires to masts or tail fins with a minimal amount of CA!

Cheers

Steve
Sounds like good advice, thanks Steve.

S

Scuff

Just a quick update on this build.

The kit is fairly simple once I had fitted all of the fiddly PE parts. Not all of the PE parts can be seen, but as this is my first construction with PE, I thought that I definately need the practice.

It all assembled fairly well, but I fitted the cockpit section into the fuslage half beore joining the fuselage together. This is contrary to the instructions, but I didn't want to damage the small PE parts. A small amount of filling and sanding was done prior to washing the kit down in he bathroom sink. Once dried and blown off, I sprayed the canopy area in Dark grey, then primed the whole thing with Tamiya neutral grey. The post shading was done with Tamiya matt black.

Masking the canopy to me ages, Not my favourite job, but if its worth doing........

My £20 airbrush from eBay is holding up well, giving a good wide and even coat when priming, and then set up to give small delicate pre-shading lines.

Regards

Scuff

GTMedia Services

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not a pre-shader myself but that's a nice job so far.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Every thing is looking good so far.

I hope that you masked that cockpit well!!!

So we will be seeing paint soon.

One thing you wrote confused me a bit. About putting the cock pit in before joining the half's of the fuselage. I think I am upto around seven tamiya spits, and I cant recall it saying that the fuselage is built before the cock pit goes in.... must be an age thing

Ian M

S

Scuff

\ said:
Every thing is looking good so far.I hope that you masked that cockpit well!!!

So we will be seeing paint soon.

One thing you wrote confused me a bit. About putting the cock pit in before joining the half's of the fuselage. I think I am upto around seven tamiya spits, and I cant recall it saying that the fuselage is built before the cock pit goes in.... must be an age thing

Ian M
Thanks Ian.

I have now painted and put the decals on it. I should be starting some weatheing tomorrow. I want to do a little chipping, but am not sure of the best way. Chrome, aluminium or gunmetal paint applied with a fine brush or toothpick? Any other methods?

Suggestions or ideas greatly appreciated from those on he forum.

The destructions show putting the fuselage halves together first, then inserting the cockpit assembly from underneath.

Regards

Scuff

GTMedia Services

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I want to do a little chipping, but am not sure of the best way. Chrome, aluminium or gunmetal paint applied with a fine brush or toothpick? Any other methods?
Aluminium paint and a fine brush for me. It's difficult to scale. On a Spitfire I guess you are concentrating on the wing walks.

Minimal:

Moderate

Or heavy

Cheers

Steve

S

Scuff

Here she is, I will post the rest of the images in the photos forum. http://www.scale-models.co.uk/aircraft-pictures/14181-another-tamiya-1-48-spitfire-mk-vb-comments-welcome.html

Last edited:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very nice Graham. Love the weathering nicely done not over the top.5*

Vaughan

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony