MY VERSION ON A MANNED LUNAR ORBITER.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi guys.

I have really gone back to my basic scratch making and adapting model making-I.E making stuff from junk.

I decided to have a got at, what I thought, would be a straight forward project-making a slightly different Apollo and the new Orion manned Moon capsule that is small and fits on a base-nothing fancy, the idea was desk model.

Now, the main thing here is that I do not have any adhesives, no epoxy and the like so, most parts have had to be drilled, tapped etc. On closer inspection and trying to overcome fit issues I can see that epoxy is going to have to be used in certain places so that will have to wait until I can get out.

So, first things first the stand. I knew I had a brass and aluminium base as I managed to buy some old ones from a jewellers. What I needed was a the rod, found some, then it came to getting the two together so out came the tap and die set, got them sorted.

The model itself is mainly metal, aluminium, some parts will be painted.

The main body is a broken old torch with all the guts taken out, this is ideal as the main body and for the idea I have.

I sorted the insides by using old inhaler cartridges, using my mini cut saw to slowly get through the ali canisters-I need the canister to fill the internal void, add support for the stand which needed to be bolted and also for the engines-I went through loads of bungs, wood etc before finally settling on this as it was the best.

The main body is now attached to the stand and the insides fitted, the engines fit, there will be an antenna to make and fit and also toying with idea of a solar cell array-but will see...on to the capsule.

I found a metal fitting that works a treat and have started trying various internal fitments for the hatch and top section-this is still a work in progress as I then have to mate this to the actual body.

For something I thought wouldn't be too difficult the parts that fit then don't with others is proving a pain...but we shall persevere!

Attachments

• P1014377.JPG
    P1014377.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 15
  • P1014382.JPG
    P1014382.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 15
  • P1014384.JPG
    P1014384.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 14
  • P1014385.JPG
    P1014385.JPG