"N" Gauge

J

jankers

As the weather is so poor I am considering starting an "N" gauge layout.(My boats are usually built outside)

Can anyone advise upon the cost of say a 2 by 4 foot layout with two locos and a dozen trucks. I prefer tank locos and would build a freight layout.

The reason I ask is that funds are limited and I was under the impression that N gauge is/was expensive (I last looked 20yrs ago and am unable to find a local supplier).

N

new to trains

to be honest jankers its a case of how long is a piece of string, i too primarily run RC marine models but have dabbled in trains now for about 2 years or so...

I now model N gauge, my layouts are normally built on hollow core doors ( lightweight yet rigid )

so just over 2 feet wide but about 6 and a half feet plus in length....

if you want a simple double oval, and a basic tank loco or two and a few trucks then i expect you would be looking at a cost in the region of £200 all in..... and a graham farish starter set may be a good starting point, comes with a tank loco about 6 wagons, basic oval and power transformer- all this for about £60 - 80 quid for the smaller freight style starter sets, but if you want all singing all dancing electrified points, scenry, DCC locos or something like KATO rolling stock then the price tag could rise dramatically- so its depends on what you buy....

i dont know if you use ebay at all but this may be a good place to look at second hand values of rolling stock, also check out some of the stores like rails in sheffield, they often sell used goods but they also sell new items, they sometimes list track starter packs and various grades of used rolling stock..... its worth looking to establish current prices for N gauge stock.

also it may be worth picking up a copy of say railway modeller magazine- listed in the back will be shows and swapmeets and collectors fairs, this may also lead to a good starting point for purchasing a good start up bundle !

anyway good luck and keep us posted on progress ! - and when it comes to buying tunnel mouths, bridges and scenic stuff for your N scale layout, let me know- i sell / distirbute alot of this stuff and also sell it on ebay....

J

jankers

Thank you ntt,

The costs seem quite reasonable (I seem to recall individual trucks being priced at £12-£14), so I shall certainly consider. Won't commit at present however as the 'spare' room may soon be occupied by Mother in law.

Just bookmarked Rails, thanks for info.

B

bodobodot1

I knew someone once who built a whole N guage layout in 4x2 ft and it was amazing. As my old dad (and almost everyone else) used to say, less is more.

N

new to trains

i often build layouts on hollow core doors, nice and strong, rigid -no flex, somewhere to bury the cables for points and power supply, and best of all, manageable, lightweight, and if needs be portable !