Na zdorovie (Cheers!!) 1/48 KV1 and Tank Crew

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
•    Base http://www.asda.co.uk
•    KV-1 http://www.hobbyboss.com/index.php?g=home&m=product&a=show&id=906&l=en
•    Foam sheet http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk
•    Steppe   http://www.migjimenez.com/en/grass-mats/415-spring-steppe-.html
•    Snow http://www.precisioniceandsnow.com/
•    Figures http://stalingrad.diorama.ru/

When I was in ASDA the other day looking for a frame for a picture, for a change, I noticed they have started to sell ‘Box Frames’, I started wondering if I could use one of these for a base, but it would take a lot of filling to get the inside depth to met the top, then it hit like a brick, why do that when I can just  turn the frame over onto its base, rip the mount off and flip the insert over so I have a nice smooth piece of wood to work on. Five minutes later and a piece of my foam stock is hot glued on along with a piece of ‘Mig’ steppe;

Next was to mask of the wood surround in preparation for the snow, again I went to my favoured choice been from Precision Ice and Snow, once masked a coat of hair spray was applied followed by a fresh sprinkling of snow. Once this had settled a large soft paintbrush was employed to remove most of the snow and patch in other areas, I masked off a rear area, using kitchen towel, added more hairspray and snow, again I used a brush to feather this ‘drift’ into the steppe.

I will need to ‘bed’ the KV-1 into the ground next;

And the reason for the title;

Two tankers celebrating getting through another winter - Na zdorovie 

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks great Steve,very good idea,and how well your base has turned out,superb look KV-1,I have seen thes two figures as well,and

are on my to get lish,lov the look of them,real well done, :D

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very nice Steve, simple yet effective base really shows KV off very well, bet those fellows bums are a bit chilly sitting on that cold steel though....BRRRR!....Jim ^_^

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice Steve, simple yet effective base really shows KV off very well, bet those fellows bums are a bit chilly sitting on that cold steel though....BRRRR!....Jim ^_^

Might have to sculpt a old worn blanket/ piece of tarp for them to sit on, lol 

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice one Steve

Lee  

N

noble

Very effective and a great example of how keeping it simple usually creates the best images.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Oh, excellent! B|

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start Steve,a nice flat or dark brown wash to bring out him detail,so you can real see what your working with, :D

will look forward to seeing how he turns out,

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
nice start Steve,a nice flat or dark brown wash to bring out him detail,so you can real see what your working with, :D

will look forward to seeing how he turns out,

Thanks

He has been upgraded since that photo :| , base colour changed and highlights have been added (XF49+XF2 + XF20a) in light wash passes, about 10 i think, tonight will be the shadows , personally i am not a fan of dry-brushing the highlights as can sometimes seem a bit harsh, prefer washes - but it takes oh so much longer  :S

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
will look forward to seeing him,always interested in how others do there figures, 9_9

your so right,Steve,on small  figures like,28mm or 1.72 yes dry brushing will work,in my eyes,once you get to 1,35,

as you say ,so I always paint in the highlights ,as well,with there faces some times can get away with it,as its a small area, :D

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Can't believe I have spent two hours on these little guys tonight, especially the face on the "tanker helmet" chap, I can see the highlights etc, but only through magnifying glasses, would have been easier to just slap a flesh tone and be done with it, but damm me I can't !!. So tanker two face painted and shadow wash applied to them both, think it maybe a bit brown though, so here they are clinging onto dear life off the edge of my desk ;

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
there looking god,Steve, :D

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Those figures are looking exceptional! B|

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
on the home straight now, just need to add some weathering to the figures, boots jacket etc, glue his left arm on and try and find the other guys hand !!

Then 'bury' the tracks into the landscape.T

G17_3547.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice work with the figures ,Steve,there turned out well, :D

First Name
Stuart
Great idea with the frame its perfect.