name

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI guys sorry to have to ask this question but what button on my pc do I press to get my name to come below my thread remember guys im new to this pc an I cant get it to come down. An I don't want to bother my wife's friend sue over such a trival thing chris

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Chris,

Your name is already displayed on each post on the left hand side, under your username.

However if you want it to automatically add to the bottom of every post, you need to edit your signature. At the top of the page you should see the blue bar that has options like Home, Forum, What's New, etc. To the right of this bar you should have you avatar and username. If you click on you name it will drop down a box, and one of the options you can choose is Signature. Click on this option and it will take you to another page where you can add and save your signature.

Cheers,

Bob

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi again Chris,

Having re-read your question I'm now wondering if you jutt mean how to leave a line at the end of the sentence and your name. In that case its the enter key, the big one on the right hand side of the keyboard.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks bob i'll give it a try an thank for rereading the question as I was totally lost with your first answer cheers
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
To be honest (and probably somewhat blunt), I had been meaning to ask you to occasionally press the Return or Enter key on your keyboard when you write messages :smiling3: Every message you’ve posted has consisted of a long run-in paragraph, which makes them hard to read sometimes. If you press the Return or Enter key, you’ll go to a new line and can continue typing there. This way, you can insert blank lines (by pressing the key twice) to make the messages much easier to read.

On most Windows PCs, the key is marked “Enter” but it may instead say “Return” or have an arrow like this ↩ on it. Here’s a photo to show the one I mean (circled in red):

Enter.png

P.S. I don’t see the point in typing your name at the end of the message. It’s a common habit on this forum (and many other frequented by modellers), but your name is already shown beside all your messages, and if you want it on every message anyway, you might as well put it in your signature instead. (To do that, click on your name at the top of the screen, next to where it says “Inbox”, to go to your account details. Once there, click on Signature in the list on the left of the screen, which will shown you a text field into which you can type the text you want to appear after each message you post — like, in my case, the text Prefers the term “applied quantum mechanics.” — and then on the Save button.)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Ok jakko I wont bother putting my name how's that but I just did it to be polite to those im talking to

an please remember im new to this pc as I am to this forum.I don't know what half the button's do on my pc as im still learning but how 's
this for spaceing for easy reading ?

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris.
I normally put my name at the end of a post.
When you write a letter you sign, so what's the difference. As you say its polite.:smiling: but each to their own
John .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I wont bother putting my name how's that but I just did it to be polite to those im talking to
It’s entirely up to you — a lot of people do put their name at the end, I don’t because (as I mentioned) I don’t see the point when it’s displayed next to the message anyway.

an please remember im new to this pc as I am to this forum.I don't know what half the button's do on my pc as im still learning
That’s why I decided to mention it :smiling3: For the record, I didn’t say it to be nasty or anything, but to help you type clearer messages.

how 's
this for spaceing for easy reading ?
Much better :smiling3: Note that you don’t need to press the Enter/Return key in the middle of a sentence, not even when the line reaches the end of the text box in which you’re typing it. The computer will take care of the new line there — you only need the key if you deliberately want to begin the next sentence on a new line.

I normally put my name at the end of a post.
When you write a letter you sign, so what's the difference. As you say its polite.:smiling: but each to their own
My take on this is that computer software exists to make life easier for us, in this case by putting my name next to my messages so that I don’t have to :smiling3:

Reactions: JR

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just to add to Jakko's advice, think of the enter key as a carriage return key on a typewriter. Hit it at the end of a sentence or paragraph when you want to start a new line.

Normally you would hit it twice so that you leave a gap between the new sentence/paragraph and the previous one.

Cheers,

Bob