Navigating a ruined factory district dio

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
One Miniart Facrory Ruin kit highly modified, one home-made warehouse facade fashioned from foamboard and styrene, one Miniart Railroad Dead End kit and the chain hoist is from a Miniart 5-ton gantry crane kit. Headless Grenadier figures come from the old Warriors vignette Cross Of Iron. I think I can finally prime the whole affair and move on to painting....

Attachments

• 20210916_182839.jpg
    20210916_182839.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210916_182658.jpg
    20210916_182658.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210916_182621.jpg
    20210916_182621.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210916_174941.jpg
    20210916_174941.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 39

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks guys !! Those warehouse doors look like they came from a movie set of Lord of The Rings but their magnitude was my intention. The Miniart doorways were definitely out of scale, I never could grow fond of that. Saw another built example online where the modeler had walled his up and I liked the look.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
PS I know the buildings are situated awfully close to one another especially with a rail present. The dio base was originally wider. But once I realised that my display case was too small I had to go with artistic license

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Ron, love the whole thing.

You mention the building being close, don't think that looks bad, the rail line buffers are interesting a nice addition to the scene. The narrowness of the two buildings like that draws the eye into to the center, damned good I say. Oh and nothing wrong with the hight of the doors, match the building style, warehouse doors were often that high in pre war Europe.

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great job on this so far. Rubble/structures-outstanding. Love the 120.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Ron, love the whole thing. You mention the building being close, don't think that looks bad, the rail line buffers are interesting a nice addition to the scene. The narrowness of the two buildings like that draws the eye into to the center, damned good I say. Oh and nothing wrong with the hight of the doors, match the building style, warehouse doors were often that high in pre war Europe.
Hi Ron, love the whole thing. You mention the building being close, don't think that looks bad, the rail line buffers are interesting a nice addition to the scene. The narrowness of the two buildings like that draws the eye into to the center, damned good I say. Oh and nothing wrong with the hight of the doors, match the building style, warehouse doors were often that high in pre war Europe.
Hi Ron, love the whole thing.

You mention the building being close, don't think that looks bad, the rail line buffers are interesting a nice addition to the scene. The narrowness of the two buildings like that draws the eye into to the center, damned good I say. Oh and nothing wrong with the hight of the doors, match the building style, warehouse doors were often that high in pre war Europe.
John, Thanks buddy, I'm glad you like it and noticed the buffers ! While the scene is from my imagination, I perused quite a few period-industrial-factory photos for useful ideas.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great job on this so far. Rubble/structures-outstanding. Love the 120.
Paul, thanks ! Remember that in the book / movie, these guys were a rearguard to their battalion's retreat many hours before. The idea is that once that trailer wheel hub snapped, the Kettenkrad (had to be a tiny tow vehicle per dio space constraints) driver didnt want to bother with it since he was on the run and the rubble terrain was too hazardous anyway. Despite it being a valuable asset, he abandoned it. Later the Cross of Iron grenadiers presumed it had been booby-trapped so they're giving it as wide a berth as they bypass it.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice scene you have there Ron......hope those guys find their heads soon ;) Rick H.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Rick ! Yeah, looks like they just got 'em blown clean off.... lol ! Will probably use the movie-character heads provided, but considering substitutng with Hornet heads with stahlhelms instead perhaps