Need a face mask

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon

I need a new paint spraying mask, my cheapy one is not upto spraying lacquer, have started to smell the paint.

Any recommendations?? Have been looking at a 3m 6002 series

Thanks bob

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
I am a Lacquer painter too. Curious in what people recommend, I have a Force 8 Half Mask Twin Respirator FM-F8-A1P2 with pair of A1P2 filters and I still get gassed.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just make sure whatever you get has A1 organic vapour and P2 particulate protection as a minimum and you’ll be fine Bob. Andy’s recommendations all meet that spec. I’ve got the 3M one and I can spray lacquer for a couple of hours and still smell nothing....mind you, my sense of smell is not as acute as it was before I had Covid :tongue-out3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Alexander. Those spec of cartridges should be fine. Does the mask fit properly (is this seal leak rather than filter breakthrough) or do you have facial hair? Just asking because face masks are designed to fit properly on clean shaven people only....filters don't last forever either. How old are yours?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just make sure whatever you get has A1 organic vapour and P2 particulate protection as a minimum and you’ll be fine Bob. Andy’s recommendations all meet that spec. I’ve got the 3M one and I can spray lacquer for a couple of hours and still smell nothing....mind you, my sense of smell is not as acute as it was before I had Covid :tongue-out3:
Excellent, thanks Tim!

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
Hi Alexander. Those spec of cartridges should be fine. Does the mask fit properly (is this seal leak rather than filter breakthrough) or do you have facial hair? Just asking because face masks are designed to fit properly on clean shaven people only....filters don't last forever either. How old are yours?

Hey Tim,
Maybe 1/2 yrs. I have “designer” stubble . I thought it It could be fit; I will test and report back.
What are the guidelines in replacing filters?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Depends upon the specifications Alexander. The filter will be rated for a number of hours use. Six months shouldn’t be an issue with general hobby use though. A rough way to test fit is to put your palms over the filter inlets and see if you can pull a vacuum when you breathe in,...

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Depends upon the specifications Alexander. The filter will be rated for a number of hours use. Six months shouldn’t be an issue with general hobby use though. A rough way to test fit is to put your palms over the filter inlets and see if you can pull a vacuum when you breathe in,...
Thanks Tim.

Often wondered how to do that. Although I probably only get the airbrush out once a month at the most and use a spray booth that vents outside, I really need to get a better mask but have been put off by all the different sorts of filters and how long you can keep using them for - very confusing.....

The first one in Andy's list comes in at a reasonable £25 and a pack of 10 filters is only £11, which will last me a long time.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Any mask filter used for painting should be rated A1 to remove solvents and at least P2 to remove particulates Andrew. Anything lower (A2/3 or P3) than that is not going to give you the protection you need. The 3M one on Andy’s list is A1P1 rated, for example. If filters are coming in at a pound each they are probably use once and throw away! For hobby use I would think annual filter changes will be more than enough. The rule of thumb is that if you can smell it or taste it, and your mask is fitting properly, change the filter!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Any mask filter used for painting should be rated A1 to remove solvents and at least P2 to remove particulates Andrew. Anything lower (A2/3 or P3) than that is not going to give you the protection you need. The 3M one on Andy’s list is A1P1 rated, for example. If filters are coming in at a pound each they are probably use once and throw away! For hobby use I would think annual filter changes will be more than enough. The rule of thumb is that if you can smell it or taste it, and your mask is fitting properly, change the filter!
Thanks Tim for this and the link. Well have a proper look when I get the time..... Not easy with a school age children.....

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks for the advice Tim, just ordered a Moldex 7000 ( with power steering ) plus the filters you advised, twin pac.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for the advice Tim, just ordered a Moldex 7000 ( with power steering ) plus the filters you advised, twin pac.
You won't regret it Bob. I had one arrive the other day to replace my ageing 6000 and it's even more comfortable.

The quick change filters are great too. I wear the P3 when sanding, then add the ABEK ones for painting, otherwise keeping them sealed in their supplied package to extend their life.

The whole thing comes in a sturdy plastic tub too, so it can be kept safe & clean when not in use.

This is the one I got, which comes with filters already. They are a bit overkill for modelling use though, but regular AB replacements can be sourced elsewhere as well as P1, P2 & P3 particulate ones.

I also bagged one of these for work, but definitely overkill for a bit of airbrushing :smiling5:

devilbiss_FD3DE590-5181-11E3-AF1B005056A302E6.jpg

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
That may come in handy when i get my 1 / 1 scale StuG lol

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ohhhh....Tyvek suit! Not seen one of those for a few years! I bet you sweat in that rig!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Indeed Tim.

That's not me pictured, I haven't been that slim for about 20 years :smiling5:, but wearing one of those for 12 hours a day isn't the most comfortable!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nope, that’s what I remember.....you must be wearing them to keep dust to a minimum, they don’t keep anything out!