Need a little help

B

bobnv

Was having a chat with Bobby Conkers about the Cutty and mentioned that was looking at maybe next one would be the Titanic, we cruise a lot, he said that he had built one and could help me with some tips, ran right out to my corner computer and ordered one. Really wasn't thinking I guess thought $30 US was a pretty good price w/free shipping for a 1/96 model. Well couple days later was checking on shipping status and decided to enlarge the box Hmmmm box has on it 1/700 so I dig deeper, a 1/700 is a block of plastic that you glue other blocks of plastic onto. Got it cancelled and started looking for a 1/400 they don't make it in a 1/96
The dilemma is in Revell I am looking at $150 and up so no brainer looking at other options, found two.

Can you guys help me on this. My options so far are and Academy 1/400 and a Minicraft 1/350, I don't mind a bit of knife work, sanding, or having to break out the chainsaw a couple of times but have no idea or concept of the quality of either of these brands but both are priced under $100 so my checking account will love it and I can start my "stash" as soon as I find somewhere to keep my stash. Haven't told my wife yet what my plans are for displaying this stuff is.

Tanks in advance

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Hi Bob.
Only had the Revell 1/350 model myself but the Academy 1/400 Titanic has good reviews.
Try RMS Titanic on Scalemates for a full list with reviews.
Jon.

B

bobnv

Thanks Jon,
will wander over and see what I can find. I grew up in the age of Revell, AMT and Monogram so lot of these modern designer brands are totally new to me. My first choice of weapons was always Revell.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
A 1/96 version would be impressive - it would be over 9ft long!

B

bobnv

Ya, that was an afterthought realization but my back room is 10 ft long so I'm good to go, have 12ft if I leave the closet door open, but will have to ask the wife where she wants me to move the elliptical to. And that's why I backed off and decided to settle for a 400 BUT .................. I thought about it

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Trumpeter have recently bought out a 1/200 Titanic. The one I've seen has a lighting kit included so is very expensive - don't know if they do one without.

But a 1/200 Titanic would only be about 4ft 6 inch long (about 1.4m in new money) so plenty of space for it in your back room ....

B

bobnv

Trumpeter have recently bought out a 1/200 Titanic. The one I've seen has a lighting kit included so is very expensive - don't know if they do one without.
But a 1/200 Titanic would only be about 4ft 6 inch long (about 1.4m in new money) so plenty of space for it in your back room ....
Chased it down..............
Will only say this one time: Holy :poop: Batman
You were being generous when you used the term "very", they are asking a pound of flesh
I am just getting back into this so not forking over my first born :astonished:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bobnv

OK did some research and review hunting, went with the Academy 14215 The White Star Liner Titanic, 1/400 both the Academy and the Minicraft were in the same ballpark pricewise £63, $80 Colonial (blame bobby conkers for that ;)). Just ordered it but due to Corona delays prob won't get it till mid next month, it is not considered a priority shipment (what are these people thinking, this is a model, this is tension relief for mental stability) on the other hand haven't even started my Cutty Sark so guess I can wait at least a couple of weeks.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Bob,
totally off the wall - but I remembered I have a 1/250 CARD model of the Titanic - published by a German outfit called Wilhelmshaven last century :rolling: - Looking around - I see there is also a card 1/200 Titanic by Fly Model - A card model is something really different - taking it to extremes there was a 1/72 Card model of a SD14 Cargo Liner - LINK- well over 2m long, what you would call a long term project!
Dave

B

bobnv

Absolutely, have bookmarked it. Seems the illustrations are missing but considering it goes back to 2018 not surprising
Colors and referances are there, that's what counts

Back in my beginning days of modeling you just bought a kit glued it together, painted it and put it on a shelf. Now you have to do 6 months of research before you even open the box. :upside:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Glad to help as I have two on the go at the moment one at 1\250 and the other is the academy 1\350.

B

bobnv

Bob,
totally off the wall - but I remembered I have a 1/250 CARD model of the Titanic - published by a German outfit called Wilhelmshaven last century :rolling: - Looking around - I see there is also a card 1/200 Titanic by Fly Model - A card model is something really different - taking it to extremes there was a 1/72 Card model of a SD14 Cargo Liner - LINK- well over 2m long, what you would call a long term project!
Dave
Sure it's only about 8 feet, can build it in the back room. Then tear out the wall to get it out............ Are You Crazy
But it does look like a hell of a challenge and it's only $300 US