Need help applying paint!

L

Linush

Hi! As the title says i could use some guidance how i apply paint to my models so it will look as good as it ever could.

If you look in my gallery you can see my collection of models. If you look on the right, the camoflage looks a bit shabby to me. I've also noticed that painting in two directions with a brush leaves a mark.

So i want to know as well what i should use? Should i go on with brushes or should i start using a air-brush? I've used an air-brush before but i can't really tell if it did any good or not. Also it has come to me that some of you use spray cans and just cover up the parts you don't want sprayed and just spray on.

Also; WHEN do i start painting? Because at the time i've always painted the models AFTER the whole assembly. Except for the parts where it says in the manual that it should be painted, like wheels for example.

The reason i'm asking you this is because christmas is running up on us and i've asked tha parents to get me a PAnzer VI E Tiger and a german 88mm Flak 36 ATG/AAA.

Merry christmas!

Linush,

R

rjwood_uk

to be honest there is no one best method. they all have their ups and downs.

brush painting is far easier and if you get a decent brush and decent paints (and like you say) brush in one direction you wont get brush marks.

spray cans are good for a nice overal finish but some can put too much paint down and you cant always get the colours you want.

airbrushes are the best in terms of control, you can regulate how much paint is going on (with a double action air brush), you can spray an colour you want and any type of paint with the correct thinners. but they can be expensive and you sometimes need more than one type of airbrush and various needles to get the right level of presision. also a compressor is the best way to power them and they are not cheap.

L

Linush

What about the 'When' part? As i said i always apply coating including camoflage and everything afterwards when it's all assemblied. I gotta say it's quite tricky.

B

Bunkerbarge

It very much depends on what you are painting so you have to think very carefully abut how it is to be assembled from that point on. For instance sub assembly's can best be painted prior to adding to the model such as an engine, winch, crane, gun, aircraft armament etc. but things that require joints to be cleaned up and hidden can only be painted after assembly of the main parts such as a ships hull or the main parts of a tanks hull.

I always create sub assemblies and then make a plastic handle to hold it and paint it as an individual item.

Think about what access you need to be able to paint the parts easily and how you are going to achieve the result you are after. Every model is differrent but experience does show you the best way to complete certain types of model.

Things like camoflage would usually be applied later in the model construction as the paint lines should be seen to flow from one part to the next. If you did these seperately there would always be the danger of the camoflage lines not lining up when you assemble the parts.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Linush,

I started to go into detail about my techniques for painting, but then remembered a link that i have passed out here in the forum a few times that contains tips, tutorials and tons of helpful information and links to other sites.

I realize you are wanting to know when to paint and the best way to do it, and i could tell you that I do alot of "presassembly painting of subassemblies, which, is my preferred method and is reccomended by alot of people.

Anyway, I have written and re-written this reply three different time already and each time it gets longer so I am just going to give you the link and tell you to look over the entire page and dont be afraid to click on the different topics found there. I am certain you will find some useful info there that wil answer your questions and you might even find inspiration there too, to try something you have never tried before.

So, here ya go, I am sure you will find a couple hours of reading enjoyment:

http://www.craigcentral.com/models.asp

I hope this helps and welcome to the forum,

Greg

PS: you can find this topic " Basic Camouflage Techniques " in the "Tips and techniques" section of that site. However, you can just click on the underlined words above to go directly to that tutorial.

Check out my gallery by clicking on the link under my info

<-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited: