Need help with WW2 British Tank Crew uniform colour

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning guys. :smiling3:

I'm in a quandary, I'm building the Tamiya Achilles (which technically is artillery) which comes with a very nice set of figures. The instructions call out for XF-60 Dark Yellow for the uniforms.

1.jpg
However, looking at the Tamiya web page for this kit, the picture of the figures shows a more greener colour.

2.png

I did a search for British Tank crew (I'm assuming the artillery wore the same colour uniforms??) and came up with a Panzer Aces colour which on their website looks like this.

3.jpg

However, when looking to buy this the colour swatch shown looks like this.

4.jpg

Which is obviously much browner.

So now I don't know what to do. I have a good selection of Tamiya paints so ideally would prefer to mix something myself. However I'm not very good at doing this by eye, so a formula for the right colour would be much appreciated, failing which an idea on what off the shelf paint would be close enough.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

B

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I have always gone for a Khaki Drab for British Uniforms (XF-51 in Tamya), although I am sure someone will say that is incorrect. I have never been too bothered by accuracy, just what looked right to me.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Jack. :smiling3:

I have XF-51 so that would be an easy option. Like you I'm not obsessed with perfect colour matches, but the Dark Yellow just didn't seem right.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Morning guys. :smiling3:

I'm in a quandary, I'm building the Tamiya Achilles (which technically is artillery) which comes with a very nice set of figures. The instructions call out for XF-60 Dark Yellow for the uniforms.

View attachment 376566
However, looking at the Tamiya web page for this kit, the picture of the figures shows a more greener colour.

View attachment 376567

I did a search for British Tank crew (I'm assuming the artillery wore the same colour uniforms??) and came up with a Panzer Aces colour which on their website looks like this.

View attachment 376568

However, when looking to buy this the colour swatch shown looks like this.

View attachment 376569

Which is obviously much browner.

So now I don't know what to do. I have a good selection of Tamiya paints so ideally would prefer to mix something myself. However I'm not very good at doing this by eye, so a formula for the right colour would be much appreciated, failing which an idea on what off the shelf paint would be close enough.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

B

It looks like they're wearing the lightweight denim tank suit, not battledress, so a pale greenish grey or tan would be correct. Possibly Vallejo Russian Uniform. They were issued to all AFV crewmen from summer 1944 on.

Here are a couple of pics, an original one and a reproduction:

004.jpg.8a25210e7212e8e156f3136cb7ea6274.jpg
british_denim_tank_suit_by_kay_canvas_070619_1.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Alex. :smiling3:

You are right, they do look like one piece overalls, so maybe the XF-51 with some buff added would look right.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The one with the leather waistcoat is wearing battledress, I think, going by that he only has one front leg pocket on his trousers. Could just be they didn’t want to try moulding it at such an awkward angle, though.