Need inspiration for next project!

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi all,

Just asking for some advice about figure projects besides the Tamiya 1/16 scale range (I've done 3 but none of the others in the range really interest me). There are some excellent looking resin models on Ebay/Amazon in the same scale; are these desirable to build and paint or a pain in the arse? Also I'm guessing you have to 100% research/source the paint scheme because these figures are shipped without manufacturers assembly/paint guide like Airfix/Tamiya?
Would consider doing some smaller scale figures but virtually all the kits in smaller scale have multiple figures; why is this so? For war game purposes I'm assuming. I prefer to paint a singular figure without doing an entire platoon. Are there any buying options out there for a single 28mm metal figure or are you basically forced to buy an entire army (not keen on that idea because it would take ages to complete the project)?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Gavin.
For inspiration on single larger figures try looking through something like this…
There are many companies making figures in a bewildering variety of materials, scales, and periods. The best way to get inspired is to simply browse through and see what bites….

If you are interested in 28mm figures then something like this may help…

Most metal figures come in packs of several sculpts and are aimed at gamers building units. For plastic figures I would look for what interests you, then find a single sprue on EBay (there are lots of sellers). The cost won’t be prohibitive.

If you are looking for WW2, for example, Perry figures are very good.
The sculpts are excellent. However, some of the metals need a fair bit of clean up. The plastic figures are better in this respect.

Hope this helps…

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Gavin

There are a number of Companies that make 1/35 scale figures particularly in resin. Alpine are noted for their quality and they do have colour pictures to help with the painting guide. In larger scales take a look at Pegaso for metal cast historical figures, and Young miniatures for large scale resin busts. Finally take a browse on Planetfigure.com to see the range of stuff available,

John

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi all,

Just asking for some advice about figure projects besides the Tamiya 1/16 scale range (I've done 3 but none of the others in the range really interest me). There are some excellent looking resin models on Ebay/Amazon in the same scale; are these desirable to build and paint or a pain in the arse? Also I'm guessing you have to 100% research/source the paint scheme because these figures are shipped without manufacturers assembly/paint guide like Airfix/Tamiya?
Would consider doing some smaller scale figures but virtually all the kits in smaller scale have multiple figures; why is this so? For war game purposes I'm assuming. I prefer to paint a singular figure without doing an entire platoon. Are there any buying options out there for a single 28mm metal figure or are you basically forced to buy an entire army (not keen on that idea because it would take ages to complete the project)?
Gavin,
have a look at the ICM 1/16 figures https://icm.com.ua/catalog/?type=figure- the 'guards' series are a bit pedestrian, but the Viking, Gladiator, Centurion & SWAT members are worth a look ( and Game of Thrones dead, if you're that way inclined ) - figures to avoid in this scale are any of the MiniArt figures, they are very poor, and need a lot of work, even before you can start painting.
I've done the ICM Viking, and the SWAT Team Leader, and although my figure painting skills aren't very good, I was happy with the result.
One cautionary note about buying resin figures off ebay - it's too easy to buy rip-off copies - if it's very cheap, then beware!
Dave

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi Gavin.
For inspiration on single larger figures try looking through something like this…
There are many companies making figures in a bewildering variety of materials, scales, and periods. The best way to get inspired is to simply browse through and see what bites….

If you are interested in 28mm figures then something like this may help…

Most metal figures come in packs of several sculpts and are aimed at gamers building units. For plastic figures I would look for what interests you, then find a single sprue on EBay (there are lots of sellers). The cost won’t be prohibitive.

If you are looking for WW2, for example, Perry figures are very good.
The sculpts are excellent. However, some of the metals need a fair bit of clean up. The plastic figures are better in this respect.

Hope this helps…
Many thanks for your input Tim, that website has a plethora of options!

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi Gavin

There are a number of Companies that make 1/35 scale figures particularly in resin. Alpine are noted for their quality and they do have colour pictures to help with the painting guide. In larger scales take a look at Pegaso for metal cast historical figures, and Young miniatures for large scale resin busts. Finally take a browse on Planetfigure.com to see the range of stuff available,

John
Thanks for your advice John. Will have a look at these recommended manufacturers offerings.There are some nice looking 1/16 scale resin figures on Amazon, Xingcheng are the makers? They are quite expensive so i assume good quality. Ever heard of them?

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Gavin,
have a look at the ICM 1/16 figures https://icm.com.ua/catalog/?type=figure- the 'guards' series are a bit pedestrian, but the Viking, Gladiator, Centurion & SWAT members are worth a look ( and Game of Thrones dead, if you're that way inclined ) - figures to avoid in this scale are any of the MiniArt figures, they are very poor, and need a lot of work, even before you can start painting.
I've done the ICM Viking, and the SWAT Team Leader, and although my figure painting skills aren't very good, I was happy with the result.
One cautionary note about buying resin figures off ebay - it's too easy to buy rip-off copies - if it's very cheap, then beware!
Dave
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. That's a nice catalogue, very extensive selection. Also I agree about the MiniArt figures, they do look a bit rubbish I must admit. The resin figures on Ebay/Amaxon are going for about £40 each so i assume they are genuine at that price? G

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Never heard of that maker but at 40 quid they are probably knockoffs. Only buy from the well known manufacturers.

John

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John is probably correct, Chinese copies of Andrea sculptures ( and others )
can be found everywhere. Aliexpress is full of these knock-offs.
Have you considered busts? There are some very nice 1/9 or 1/10 examples around................
Dave

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Gavin,
I was perhaps a bit dismissive of the MiniArt Models - some of them can be made presentableView attachment 443628
This is the MiniArt 1/16 Athenian Hoplite - he needed extensive surgery under his kilt, and under his helmet before I could get bits to fit! If you can find one at a bargain price, it'd be worth it, just to practice on!!!!
Dave
ps the build log of this is herehttps://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/1-16-miniart-athenian-hoplite.34677/#post-487195
Dave,

That's an excellent well painted figure, very neat. You're undoubtedly talented. Best MiniArt completed figure I've seen yet. G

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Gavin,
I've bought from this UK seller a few times https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_trkparms=folent:mitches-military-models|folenttp:1&_ssn=mitches-military-models&_sop=15 He does full figures, as well, but the price shoots up
Dave
has a website, as well https://www.mitchesmilitarymodels.co.uk/
Thanks Dave, will give that a peruse. I have considered busts but the subject always has to grab me. I would love to do a figure/bust of the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket! Does such a thing exist? These manufacturers should do a movie figure series....G

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gavin,
the busts from MItches are pretty good
This is a Russian pilot Ivan Kozhedub Hero of the Soviet Union
DSCF0376.JPG
You have to source your own base & mount. I did this in acrylics - I know most figure painters use oils, but I can't get on with them mysellf!
Dave

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Gavin,
the busts from MItches are pretty good
This is a Russian pilot Ivan Kozhedub Hero of the Soviet Union
View attachment 443716
You have to source your own base & mount. I did this in acrylics - I know most figure painters use oils, but I can't get on with them mysellf!
Dave
That's very good Dave, some neat detail there. I always use acrylics.
Usually Tamiya acrylics with a few drops of paint retarder for everything on the figure except the face and Vallejo acrylics for the face.