Need some advice on weathering products

C

CrazyDan

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the large scale of weathering products that are around these days. So I thought, I'll gather some information and this forum seemed like a nice place to start.

Firstly I'm currently building a fairly large project which includes Trumpeters Morser Karl Gerat and Trumpeters BR52 Krielgslokomotive. I've had a look around to get an idea on what others have done to paint and weather their versions of the models. I've found a few images I'd like to use as a reference point, which I've put in the spoiler below. But I'm very unsure on what products I'd use for various parts. For example, the rust, dirt and grim areas.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which products I should take a look at? And any brushes or tools I'd need to help with the weathering process.

Thanks Dan.

55f13585b70f6.jpg

55f135a100bf5.jpg

br-52-kriegslok-trumpeter.jpg

2060-27582.jpg

D

dubster72

Hi Dan & welcome to the forum.

I think it's very difficult to answer your questions in a concise way, simply because in the last few years so many weathering products have come onto the market.

Companies like Vallejo, AK Interactive, Ammo by Mig have really revolutionised the weathering field. And of course everyone has their own personal favourite!

So if you have deep pockets & don't mind buying stuff to experiment with, I'd advise getting some of those products & trying them out. I've not personally used any, but some people swear by them.

What I use is oils & artists pastels to create these effects. A decent set of both will set you back about £40 & last for years. A set of AK Interactive rust effects is around £18 alone... you can see where I'm going with this ;)

In the interests of fairness, the advantages of ready-made products are convenience & saving time.

To give you an idea of what's possible using my method, here's some pictures of the exhaust of a Panzer IV
20161218_113740.jpg 20161218_113622.jpg

By applying ground up pastels & fixing them with white spirit, you're only limited to your own imagination.

HTH Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Dan & welcome to the forum...

What I use is oils & artists pastels to create these effects. A decent set of both will set you back about £40 & last for years. A set of AK Interactive rust effects is around £18 alone... you can see where I'm going with this ;)

In the interests of fairness, the advantages of ready-made products are convenience & saving time.

I couldn't have put it any better myself. I have pastels and oil paints that are at least twenty years old and are not about to run out any time soon!

Ready made products are indeed convenient, but with a little practice you can develop your own skills with oils, pastels etc and enjoy a much wider palette, unrestricted by what anyone else deems to be the perfect effect. I will let someone else advise you on the 'ready made' products, there are some very good modellers here who use them and are much better qualified to comment. For example, BarryW used some to very good effect on one of his recent builds

It is just my opinion, but I believe the market for ready made products which has developed in relatively recent years is a response to modellers looking for a quick fix, in itself just a reflection of what is going on in society at large. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this at all and I have seen tremendous results achieved with these products, but there is another way which can be a lot more fun.

The choice is yours. Whatever you choose I wish you good luck and a lot of fun with your models.

Cheers

Steve

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I tend to agree, with Patrick, I use oils-thinned with white spirit and applied using a soft brush or makeup sponges. I do use weathering pigments but mainly for rust/dust but these are used sparingly. I also use pastels, rubbed on or crushed and added using a pigment fixer. I have use felt pens, pencils even eyeliner pencils to get effects.

This is my latest project a 1/16 Tiger, it is part way through weathering and it is black and brown oil paints, thinned and applied using a soft brush and make up sponge, other weathering is rust, I mix my own from three pigments and that is applied using micro-brushed and cocktail sticks.

C

CrazyDan

Thanks for all the replys and useful information.

Ive bought myself some of the premade dusts and washes and I'll also pick up a pallet of pastels from my local art store and give them all a try.

I would of never actually thought of using pastels and oils but from the pictures that have been posted they seem to have a very nice effect.

Once again thanks all :smiling3:

J

John Rixon

And look at Jim (Grumpa's) work using very basic acrylic craft paints. It's a testament to keeping it simple and cheap, no one can accuse Jim's models of looking anything other than dirty and grimy and, well, used!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Welcome to the forum.
Not a lot to add but there are plenty of tutorials and help on YouTube. It might be a good idea to view a selection of them