Need some info

F

fli48rc

My next project is going to be a Sopwith Tripe. I have been looking at various pics on the Internet and I need some help. On the rudder of quite a few Sopwith planes I can plainly see:

SOPWITH

Aviation Company Ltd.

Kingston - on - Thames

But just above the SOPWITH is something I have not been able to make out.

What does it say? Does anyone have a link to a clear picture. I am going to create my own decalage...

Thanks

Mark

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
My next project is going to be a Sopwith Tripe. I have been looking at various pics on the Internet and I need some help. On the rudder of quite a few Sopwith planes I can plainly see:SOPWITH

Aviation Company Ltd.

Kingston - on - Thames

But just above the SOPWITH is something I have not been able to make out.

What does it say? Does anyone have a link to a clear picture. I am going to create my own decalage...

Thanks

Mark
*** Mark,it says 'The' Sopwith Aviation company.

The small mark which looks like an 'I' is in fact a woods frame inspection panel placed just near the upper tailplane bracing wire.

Meanwhile I will keep my eyes open for a closeup picture for you.

F

fli48rc

Barry -

Thank you for the quick reply.... I knew you would know!

I will try a document the build and post it... have to get the camera working though.

Regards

Mark

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Barry -Thank you for the quick reply.... I knew you would know!

I will try a document the build and post it... have to get the camera working though.

Regards

Mark
*** You are very welcome Mark,if you need any assistance with the camera just yell out,there is plenty of knowledge here on digital photography and the software to download the images.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I found a picture!!
*** There you go,the picture also shows to good advantage the unbleached Irish linen covering,which used to go yellow after a few years of discolouration of dope and atomised Castor oil,this literally covered the airframe in a sticky mess, very akin to how our IC models look and feel after a few seasons flying,the castor lubricant had the effect also of softening the dope finish and rotting the fabric,on a light hearted note pilots did not need to take syrup of figs as the castor also acted as an excellent tonic for the system !! :cheeseygr