Needle in and out - which way?

M

MarshMan

I’ve read conflicting ideas about this. One is ‘out from the front in from the back’, others in and out from the back. Is there a right and wrong?
Max

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I go out from the front and in from the back Max. It pulls the paint away from the inner workings.

A

Awins

I’ve read conflicting ideas about this. One is ‘out from the front in from the back’, others in and out from the back. Is there a right and wrong?
Max
When cleaning push needle from the back so that it enters towards the nozzle. That way you are not drawing paint into the air brush. Re assembling again from the back towards the front.

Reactions: JR
M

MarshMan

When cleaning push needle from the back so that it enters towards the nozzle. That way you are not drawing paint into the air brush. Re assembling again from the back towards the front.
Hi Alan
If you actually mean ‘so that it EXITS towards the nozzle’ then you appear to be agreeing with Ian, otherwise we already have conflicting ideas!?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I always take out and put in from the front. Obvisouly taking it out means I'm not pushing paint back through the seal, and my theory is by putting it back from the front the brush will already have been fully cleaned and I'm not risking damaging the needle tip. :smiling3:

M

MarshMan

I always take out and put in from the front. Obvisouly taking it out means I'm not pushing paint back through the seal, and my theory is by putting it back from the front the brush will already have been fully cleaned and I'm not risking damaging the needle tip. :smiling3:
Hi Bob,
Yeah, one of the things I’d read was that you could damage the seals putting it in the front?
Max

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'm with Bob, I remove and insert from the front.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
you could damage the seals putting it in the front?
I think you're more likely to damage the seals if you catch them with the sharp end of the needle. Wouldn't do the needle much good either.

Pete

M

MarshMan

Okay, I can see that opinions vary on this! All I can say is, don’t fight boys and girls!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i have an Aztek.....i dont have this problem :smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::smiling5:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
What’s an Aztec, apart from an extinct South American?

its an American airbrush........uses a totally different system......has interchangable nozzles for different sizes or applications......the needles are only an inch long......and in some sizes are plastic!

lots of people hate them and like to deride them, i think they are great............ive own everything from cheapo chinky air brushes to badger and iwata.....all have terminally let me down in one way or another

dont get me wrong, Azteks have their own problems but i like them

this is a nozzle assembly....about twice real size lol

312ia37.jpg

M

MarshMan

its an American airbrush........uses a totally different system......has interchangable nozzles for different sizes or applications......the needles are only an inch long......and in some sizes are plastic!

lots of people hate them and like to deride them, i think they are great............ive own everything from cheapo chinky air brushes to badger and iwata.....all have terminally let me down in one way or another

dont get me wrong, Azteks have their own problems but i like them
Fair enough Paul. I see you’re from’t north, lovely place!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Besides the Aztek, with ordinary dual action airbrushes, how do you insert the needle from the front unless you remove the sharp tip of the nozzle? :thinking: As much as possible I try not to mess with that tip and seldom remove it for cleaning so I always insert the needle from the back. The precision diameter of the shaft in which the needle passes through is a tight enough fit so there is no chance in the needle tip of catching anything in its path through the airbrush as long as you do not touch any of the working parts.

Japanese airbrush needles tend to be sharp and thin at the tip. For anyone with rough handling should use Badger brushes as their needles are double bevelled which means it keeps its thickness as it tapers and then is bevelled sharp at the tip. No chance of bending unless you use it as a toothpick.

Somebody explain how an Aztek airbrush works?

Cheers,
Richard