Neil's 1/32 Fine Molds Douglas Bader

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
IMG_20200928_103818602.jpg
I found this on the Bay of Fleas, and I thought he would be a nice little quick project to finish up with.
I haven't heard of FineMolds before, but the date on the instruction sheet is 1998, so what do I know?
They do some other well-known pilot figures, but this is the one that floated my boat.
Bader is a controversial personality in the BoB, as discussed elsewhere on here, but he is very much a part of the story, and remains an inspiration regardless of his opinions.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Your wish is my command, Oh Ralph!

I cleaned up the multitude of parts and sharpened up the detail here and there.
IMG_20201009_191244163.jpg
He is holding his flying helmet in his left hand and I struggled to make sense of the other blobs -it was only on looking at the instructions that I realised it is actually goggles and oxygen mask. So I tried to define it all a bit better- especially the filled in areas between the eye-pieces and the underside of the oxygen mask.
IMG_20201009_191308690.jpg
I was thinking about the challenge of painting glass goggles on solid plastic, when I decided to see if I could actually make them clear.

I did a little experiment with U/V cure glue(which I will discuss later) and I think I can manage it, so I trimmed out the lenses altogether, along with the underneath of the oxygen mask.
IMG_20201010_200730714.jpg
IMG_20201010_200712272.jpg
IMG_20201010_200738378.jpg

Then I made the wiring for the headphones and the oxygen hose.
I was trying to figure out how to make a corrugated, hoover-type hose but my research showed that the early type of masks had a thinner, smooth, cloth-covered hose, so that got me off that particular hook.
IMG_20201011_091557541.jpg
I scratched the jack plug and oxygen connector, and now I think we are ready to go.

Thanks for looking in

Neil

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great subject, a great man, however flawed he may have been.

You've improved him, or his kit, a lot and you've barely started :smiling3:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Very nice work Neil :smiling3:.
Finemolds do a lot of 1/700 ship parts.

Cheers Ralph. and 1/32 scale seatbelts as well, I've discovered.
A very nice looking figure Neil. Good to see that you couldn't resist cutting as usual.
Yes it does look a bit like the man himself- I'm sure I can obliterate that with my painting.....
It's only a little bit of cutting ;)

Great subject, a great man, however flawed he may have been.

You've improved him, or his kit, a lot and you've barely started :smiling3:
Very kind of you to say , Steve, thanks

Neil. Nice looking fig. I’ll be watching this one
Thanks Lee, welcome aboard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Neil, I don't know if its possible or noticeable but Bader stood awkwardly because of his artificial legs. You're doing good so far with his headgear and goggles.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL looks ok to me as at a RAF COLTISHALL airshow back in the late 6o's he pushed past me when i was in the flight line an i thought who do you think you are by pushin past me an when he wandered over to a spitfire i think it was people were sayin thats bader an then i saw how he was walking an thinkin there goes a living legend an i was filled with awe
chris

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil, I don't know if its possible or noticeable but Bader stood awkwardly because of his artificial legs. You're doing good so far with his headgear and goggles.

Cheers,
Richard

Cheers Richard.
I think he's leaning quite unnaturally forwards, so that will do for me

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
WELL looks ok to me as at a RAF COLTISHALL airshow back in the late 6o's he pushed past me when i was in the flight line an i thought who do you think you are by pushin past me an when he wandered over to a spitfire i think it was people were sayin thats bader an then i saw how he was walking an thinkin there goes a living legend an i was filled with awe
chris

That's quite a claim to fame, Chris, barged by a living legend! ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
Iconic figure. The work you are doing is worth all the effort.
I will always see DB as Kenneth Moore in Reach for the Sky. Any controversy does not prevent Mr Moore doing a cracking job portraying an heroic character.
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil
Iconic figure. The work you are doing is worth all the effort.
I will always see DB as Kenneth Moore in Reach for the Sky. Any controversy does not prevent Mr Moore doing a cracking job portraying an heroic character.
Jim
cheers Jim,
I haven't seen the film for a while, time for a re-visit, methinks

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent improvements neil , hes going to look awesome . Finemolds are a japanese company up there with the best of them as far as detail and finish goes , price too unfortunately . Cheers tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Should look good Neil an i dont know if it was true or not but i herd tell that as barder had no real legs he coud pull more G's an turn tighter in a dogfite as his heart dint have to pump blood down his legs
chris