Neil's 1/32 Fine Molds Douglas Bader

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
Great stuff. Given that 1/32 is pretty small the detail is good and he does have the look of the great man about him. Nice to see the first splash of colour.
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well, Douglas is all done bar the shouting- by which I mean the crazy idea of creating see-through goggles.
I thought I would show him now, in case the goggles are a disaster.
IMG_20201015_174618237_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpgIMG_20201015_174633591.jpgIMG_20201015_174645380.jpg
He doesn't really look like the man himself, more like Robert Duvall, to my eye. But I am just happy his face looks vaguely human. Life is too short.
Annoyingly the camera really shows the washes on the Sidcot suit, which are not so stark in real life-even under the optivisor.
So, goggles next -here is a shot of the danger zone!
IMG_20201015_174714173.jpg
thanks for looking
Neil

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Neil.
My word you do work in some small scale and yet do so well .
What about the glue you were going to tell us about, think I've seen the advert for it,nearly bought some , but will read your thoughts first .

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil.
My word you do work in some small scale and yet do so well .
What about the glue you were going to tell us about, think I've seen the advert for it,nearly bought some , but will read your thoughts first .
Patience, grasshopper

• Love
Reactions: JR

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
This is the stuff, John.
s-l1600 (2).jpg

U/V Glue
We use a very expensive version of it at work, but to be honest I think we were swindled as this is just as good for the little things we use it for. It's especially good for gluing two clear things together with a large surface area.
The great advantage is the glue doesn't go off until you cure it, so you have infinite repositioning time. It should be ideal for PE work, I would think, although I haven't tried it myself yet.
And for 11.99 including the torch it's worth a punt.
ANYWAY, back to Douglas.
My plan was to place something like release paper from double-sided tape behind the back of the goggle lens, fill it with the glue and remove the backing.
When I came to do it ,I decided on a piece of polythene, because NOTHING sticks to that. What I hadn't realised was how *&%$ing small it would need to be!
IMG_20201016_082337377.jpg
I had to bend this shard into a U-shape and fiddle it into place in a space about 4mm x 3mm x 3mm!
Then I added a drop of the glue to each lens and cured it, with my fingers mentally crossed....
But it worked, thankfully.
My photography skills are not really up to the job, but you can just see the reflection here
IMG_20201016_083629195.jpg
It would have been cleverer to remove the goggles altogether, really, but hey ho, next time, eh?
I'll just put him on a base and he is done.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic work neil , the likeness is excellent , as is the painting . The goggles look perfect , fiddly but so worth it , cheers tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Neil, that's the stuff, thought it might repair some glasses.