Neil's Airfix 54mm 95th Rifleman

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil,
Some really nice work there, the new straps are a great improvement.
Thanks Paul :thumb2:

Well there has been a little bit of progress this weekend, in the form of his haversack and coat tails. Milliput has a 90 minute-2 hour working time and with some things you just need to wait for the almost-cured firm stage; it’s not often I can be sure of an uninterrupted 2 hours bench time so this is slowing down the build a bit.

Coat tails
IMG_20190521_174250428.jpg

Haversack
IMG_20190521_174037507.jpg

I added the frog straps for his sword bayonet, which I could only do when the Milliput was almost cured. It will all still require some fettling, but it’s a stage further on.

That’s all for now

Cheers

Neil

D

Deleted member 6559

Taking shape very nicely Neil. Milliput does take some getting used to doesn't it?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Neil, all that metal webbing reminded me of my Scots Grey. Good work so far.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Andrew
I’m enjoying watching him nicely develop Neil. Thanks for blogging and bringing back happy memories of what drew me into this hobby.
Andy

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Beautiful work Neil. If this is you being rusty then there is no hope for me.LOL

• Haha

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top work neil , inspired by your build and itching to do something before the figure group build starts ive started on my rifleman. Its only going to be a straight out of the box ( or blister packet) jobbie unlike your amazing reworking , but im still watching closely for any helpful pointers. Ill be replacing the plastic card strips with wine foil and yoghurt pot lid but everything else is as Airfix intended, cheers tony

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Neil, Looking very nice the additions of the straps are taking this to a whole new level.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just started to look at this build Neil, some 4 pages into the build. Some fantastic work going into it I'll be watching it from now on.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Agree with Paul.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Afternoon all, sorry for the hiatus; I’ve had a large dose of work and life and household responsibilities getting in the way of the important stuff!

I am, however, pleased to report that there is now progress on the rifleman.

Whilst mucking about with toothpaste tube and lead foil I got the feeling that his left index finger was too short, so I snipped it off and inserted a piece of thin wire as an armature.finger before.jpgfinger.jpg

In my sculpting I have always struggled with individual fingers so I don’t know why I did this. I had just made up some plastic soup from sprue and dichloromethane , which I have never done before, so I thought this might be the time to road-test it.

finger after 1.jpg

It took a few attempts but it now meets with my approval. I will probably use it again for this because it dries a lot quicker than Milliput or Duro and allows me to carve it without deforming the thin wire.

finger now.jpg

What I realised afterwards is that there was nothing wrong with the forefinger, it is his thumb that is too long…….doh!

I have trimmed it but don’t have a picture yet
I carried on with the strappage using lead foil and toothpaste tube, and a couple of etched buckles.

It took some figuring out what went on first and which strap passed over which- thank goodness for the re-enactors websites!

haversack straps.jpg
I tried to show the weight pressing down on the shoulder straps by filing some of it away, but I’m not very happy with it. Trouble is I had such ‘fun’ with the haversack straps I’m not going there again-I’ve got another one to do anyway so hopefully I’ll make a better fist of it with him.
straps back view.jpgwaterbottle.jpg
And then I discovered I had left off the powder horn string which is attached by leather tubes to the cartridge pouch belt, so I had to tease the haversack straps apart and detach the waterbottle strap to fit it in grrrr!:rolling:

I used 0.3mm diameter lead solder for the first time since I bought it years ago. It was lovely and malleable but I was terrified of it snapping through work-hardening.

Still I got there in the end –powder horn strap.jpg

I have decided to concentrate on this one figure in the sure knowledge that I won’t finish them both for the end of the GB.

And then I couldn’t help myself, but I went all Steve Jones :blow-kiss-2:and decided the Shako cords needed to be improved…….:flushed:

IMG_20190430_213554433.jpg

But that’s for next time

Thanks for looking in

N

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great work Neil, and very useful reference for me , im just about at the stage of adding the straps on mine . Co-incidence with the finger too, I dropped my figure and his index finger on the left hand snapped off and vanished , so ive got to fashion a replacement digit as well, and now you mention it he does have a VERY long thumb!!! (maybe I could shorten the thumb and stick the amputated bit on his index finger!) cheers tony

• Haha

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Great work Neil, and very useful reference for me , im just about at the stage of adding the straps on mine . Co-incidence with the finger too, I dropped my figure and his index finger on the left hand snapped off and vanished , so ive got to fashion a replacement digit as well, and now you mention it he does have a VERY long thumb!!! (maybe I could shorten the thumb and stick the amputated bit on his index finger!) cheers tony
:smiling2: that should work, Tony! good luck with the straps- I've dremeled out the pack a bit to get a better fit,by the way