Neils F6F-5 Hellcat 1/72

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Neil glad to have you onboard looking forward to watching this come together, from what I've heard it's a good kit

D

Doug Hughes

Looks good, Neil. I have this in my stash - bought it when it wasn't under a tenner. Doh!

First Name
Neil
\ said:
Looks good, Neil. I have this in my stash - bought it when it wasn't under a tenner. Doh!
One immutable law of this site I've found, if you have a kit in your stash, someone else will probably have it but bought cheaper :smiling3:

First Name
Neil
I seem to be one of the last to start this, however, got some PE now so the office:

View attachment 98108

View attachment 98109

View attachment 98110

View attachment 98111

I do have some PE switches and belts but a combination of finger size and eyesight means I am not even going to attempt getting these in place.

As per normal I painted the main parts on sprue in a couple of thinned coats but I have to say the Tamiya sea blue (XF-17) is very dark so I may add some white to it when I do the final coat when it is all together to lighten it a little bit - although I guess it might lighten with kleer and flat clear so I can try them on a spare part.

Oh I found a reference piece that shows all the F6F-5 which this is, were painted interior green below the side control panels and black above - which is why it is both black and green, also some ref pics show this as a very heavily weathered aircraft (Death and Destruction) so some scope there.

office1.jpg

office2.jpg

office3.jpg

office4.jpg

First Name
Neil
Progress report...

Altogether except the canopy and prop and a few add on's (added a couple of bits since these were taken).

Next is sanding any joins down such as underneath, a final coat or two of sea blue, then the decals etc. Leaving the prop until that is done with decals and final seal. Wish I had done that with the front undercarriage (not in these photos) as they also have decals and they will be awkward. I may see if they pop off easily and can do them with the decal too.

View attachment 98693

View attachment 98694

View attachment 98695

View attachment 98696

View attachment 98697

DSC_3960.JPG

DSC_3964.JPG

DSC_3970.JPG

DSC_3972.JPG

DSC_3975.JPG

First Name
Neil
First Name
Neil
So after mangling the original decals I needed to get some more which duly arrived from Hannants but now I have a dilemma, I now have 8 marking schemes that all use the same colour scheme that I have already used (all over sea blue) - 7 of them are US carrier based but there is an Armee de l'Air for Vietnam 1952 - the only difference is the decals. Still as I have a few of the "death and destruction" decals on, rather than try to get them off too I'll use that set - I may need to buy another F6F-5 and use the French version though - nice looking decals - PrintScale ones.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice to have spares for later Neil. The French Indochina version would look pretty good, I think they were possibly more colourful than the standard US schemes with yellow stripes from memory (I wasn't there!).

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Well, the stripes I must have imagined. Still a nice scheme Neil.

First Name
Neil
Nearly done, decals on and humbrol clear applied (the Klear - cloudy stuff - was making the acrylic run). I am going to apply a little bit of weathering - not too much, but out of interest as it is a dark blue, if I wanted to apply a wash would a black wash even show up? Would it be better to apply a lighter grey perhaps? I'm thinking I don't want to ruin it as it is my first GB but a dark wash seems a little pointless.

I did see in AMW someone use a yellow pre-shade on an olive finish, presumably, a pale blue or off-white at least, pre shade on the middle of the panels would have worked here - well it would if I used an air-brush anyway? It's a nice little kit but there are plenty of US Navy kits I could try that on I suppose.

Pics to follow when I have taken some more.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Avgas in particular (leaded high octane petroleum) tends to leave a light grey residue rather than black, so that's what I'd recommend to apply for exhaust streaking if you were so inclined Neil. I think these aeroplanes were pretty well maintained, and with a gloss finish were probably much easier to clean that their land based contemporaries.

First Name
Neil
Ah, OK, so looking at pics of Hellcats they seem to have a distinctive white streak from the exhausts following the wing profile, that grey colour is what I probably need but other that than they do look "clean". Thanks Joe.

First Name
Neil