Neil's Self-Sculpted 1/32 RAF Pilot

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Wow and wow Neil, that's quite exciting stuff. Results look good, so well-done you .
Reading Jims and your description of moulding think I shall defer for the moment !
Thank you kindly ,John.
Yes it's quite frustrating; mind you, this is not exactly unambitious......there are easier things to mould and cast.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Somebody mentioned dogged determination earlier on, well I think this is going to drain my reserves....

I thought all except the head on this one was usable until I looked at the pic

IMG_20201026_135434579.jpg

and with that in mind I tried casting just the head, with the mould tilted to encourage the bubbles away from the nose and chin

IMG_20201026_135521624.jpg
Close, but no cigar.
So, to paraphrase Strictly-
Keeeeeeep casting!

I promise not to show any more failures after this as it's going to get tedious, but there might be a bit of a wait until my next post.......
cheers
Neil

D

Deleted member 6559

Neil, I've bought far worse from 'reputable' suppliers, so I think that's a good first attempt. Seems that getting the air out can be a bit of a headache - why is it bubbles an pin-holes always occur in the worst possible places? Rather you than me, but I know you'll sort it out.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil, I've bought far worse from 'reputable' suppliers, so I think that's a good first attempt. Seems that getting the air out can be a bit of a headache - why is it bubbles an pin-holes always occur in the worst possible places? Rather you than me, but I know you'll sort it out.
Cheers Peter, don't hold your breath.....

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I am happy to report that after 5 attempts I eventually achieved a decent casting!
Here is the rogues' gallery of failure
IMG_20201026_204125151.jpg

The decent one is not perfect but it will do. I had a lot of bubbles to fill and a few warts to remove -and I found more once I started painting- but I've finally started painting

IMG_20201027_164201398.jpg
So he should be done in time for the end of the GB-just...
Thanks for looking
Neil

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Here is the rogues' gallery of failure

Hi Neil,

Perserverance paid off for you Sir! I would probably have to make 20 before I got a good one. I do hope you didn't bin the others as they would make great figs for a wild zombie vignette or diorama. Shot full of bullet holes and hungry for more flesh. Just a thought..........

BTW, the good one is coming along very nicely too!

Prost
Allen

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil,

Perserverance paid off for you Sir! I would probably have to make 20 before I got a good one. I do hope you didn't bin the others as they would make great figs for a wild zombie vignette or diorama. Shot full of bullet holes and hungry for more flesh. Just a thought..........

BTW, the good one is coming along very nicely too!

Prost
Allen

Cheers Allen,
I saved the feet, they were the only usable bits, and I HATE sculpting them.