Neil's Tamiya 1/16th Luftwaffe Pilot

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I seem to be on a painting kick at the moment, let's hope the mojo stays around while I do this one.
IMG_20200709_214253117.jpg
IMG_20200709_214326290.jpg
I haven't painted a figure this large since I did those Airfix 1-12 figures back in the dark ages, so this will be a challenge to my adult sense of what is acceptable. But don't expect anything like Peter Day's or Steve Brodie's standard :flushed:
There are two heads , one of which is Adolf Galland, so I will be trying to do him justice(but not too hard).
Annoyingly the Galland head is the one without the cap, and wearing it at a rakish angle was his trademark, so I will be doing a slight amount of butchery, but other than that it will be OOB.
Only one more sleeep!

D

Deleted member 6559

Good to see this Neil. I've done it a couple of times and it's a nice kit. I think that the heads are enough alike that putting a moustache on the capped one will make him look like Galland.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice one. We have an RAF pilot and a Luftwaffe pilot in the group build now.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Will be watching this Neil. If it's Galland, you'll only need to scratch the cigar he holds behind him.

Cheers,
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I’ve cracked on with Dolfo today, whilst putting the finishing touches to the Flying Scotsman.
It’s a nice easy kit which makes a change for me these days. I couldn’t resist sharpening up the back fill at the tunic skirt and lapels etc, and then I realised the life jacket covers most of it doh! :rolling: There’s so much nice detail that gets covered up on this model that one day I might do another one and just leave off the lifejacket. Maybe I’ll give him proper riding boots as he would be off flying duty.
Anyway,I gave him a ribbon for his Knights Cross
IMG_20200710_173300990.jpg
Then the fun started.
Richard mentioned the fact that Galland always had a cigar and suggested putting it in his hand behind his back. I was going to do that, then I thought ‘where’s the fun in that?’ so I decided to put it in his mouth . I was expecting to have to break out the Duro and sculpt a new lip, but it turns out his lips were slightly parted anyway, so I just drilled a hole and poked in the end of a cocktail stick.

Ta daaaa!
IMG_20200710_153831589.jpg
I was just about to take a razor saw to his head for his cap and I was bracing myself for getting the angle wrong when I remembered my Dremel. So instead of sawing his head I hollowed out his cap and bingo!
IMG_20200710_153641653.jpg
Now I can paint his face without the visor being in the way and just pop the cap on afterwards.
IMG_20200710_154053756.jpg
It’s not a great likeness but who cares?
So there’s some filling to do then I’ll fit the life vest. There will be joins to fill in that but when that’s done it’s bring on the wet stuff!
Thanks for looking

Neil

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The cigar and cap at a rakish angle make it look like Galland. It's just how we perceive these things.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I think it does look like Galland. I've just been catching up on the 3 part Battle of Britain program that was on recently. In part one, Galland is discussed and shown quite clearly. You've captured his style perfectly.

D

Deleted member 6559

Wow, you didn't hang about did you? Great work getting the cap to fit and pulling out the detail. I'm not sure why Tamiya detailed the front of the jacket - if they'd have left the straps off the back it would have given option, but otherwise....

As for the likeness, well it sure looks like Galland to me.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I think it does look like Galland. I've just been catching up on the 3 part Battle of Britain program that was on recently. In part one, Galland is discussed and shown quite clearly. You've captured his style perfectly.
I'll take that as well :thumb2: thanks Colin

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Someone's on a roll Neil, good to see.
I shall grab a seat and enjoy this.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I was struggling to think who the officer on the box looks like, he looks familiar, but I've looked at images of a LOT of Luftwaffe officers over the years.

I think he may be based on Gerhard Barkhorn.

Barkhorn.jpg