Neil's Tamiya 1/16th Luftwaffe Pilot

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Neil. There should actually be a seam where you've filled.

1467_d.jpg

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
well, I bit the bullet last night and attacked the vast expanse of Luftwaffe Uniform, and I put a first coat on the Schwimmmweste.
I found it a very intense experience, I don't know how Peter Day does it day after day. Maybe it's just a confidence thing?
There's still some blending to be done on the jacket and of course lots more work on the life vest.
IMG_20200724_090707545.jpg
IMG_20200724_090720213.jpg
thanks for looking
Neil

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Ok here's some more intensity.........
I think this top part is more or less done now, except for the separate bits of the Schwimmweste which I will attach at the end for fear of damaging them.
I've never worked this way before(top downwards),and I wore nitrile gloves all the while to avoid grease marks and scratches, but it seems to have worked out ok so far.front.jpg
back.jpg
I attempted to show the texture of the webbing, and I was thinking about trying to represent the texture of the wool uniform like Mike the Kiwi does at 1-32 scale :flushed: ,
but I chickened out.
Another time........
There is also the thorny issue of the cuff title which should look like this
j_742_1.jpg
Nice and simple...............:tired:
I will have one attempt at painting it, but I will probably crash & burn, so Plan B is to try and make a decal. Tamiya have helpfully provided an artwork I can use, so that will be another nice little challenge.
I also need to overhaul my brush cleaning method, as at one stage my brush shed little black particles into the yellow-grrrrr
thanks for looking
Neil

D

Deleted member 6559

Coming on very nicely indeed Neil. I wouldn't try and copy the cuff title verbatim, just make marks that give an impression of lettering. I know that you're portraying Galland and will want accuracy, but there are some slightly simpler designs as an alternative:

DUZmags2C.jpg

Also worth noting that the majority of the lettering is hidden where the cuff title presses against the jacket.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Coming on very nicely indeed Neil. I wouldn't try and copy the cuff title verbatim, just make marks that give an impression of lettering. I know that you're portraying Galland and will want accuracy, but there are some slightly simpler designs as an alternative:

View attachment 394055

Also worth noting that the majority of the lettering is hidden where the cuff title presses against the jacket.
Good point!!
Thanks Peter

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I've done the breeches now, although I might tweak them a bit more.
IMG_20200730_134628653.jpgIMG_20200730_134638856.jpg
I had a go at the cuff title, too.
Unfortunately, Peter's comment about most of the lettering being hidden turned out not to be the case, as the words are so LONG!
It's nowhere near perfect ,but I'm happy enough with it not to try again, and not to bother with plan B.
thanks for looking
Neil

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thank you chaps , very much.
Well I'm calling this one DONE.
I have enjoyed the painting experience, despite it being WAY out of my comfort zone(I don't think I HAVE a comfort zone yet when it comes to painting,actually).
I clearly have a lot to learn about blending and shading on these vast surface areas, especially given the quality of other more expert painters on this forum, but generally I am quite pleased with how this has turned out.
I won't be doing another big one until I get back to my 1/12 scale French Grenadier, and the painting stage is still a way off for him. I mustn't get too used to big guys yet because I have a rather large stash of 1/35 & 54mm figures that I want to get through before old age catches up and I lose the ability...

So, heeeeeere's DOLFO!

Finished A.jpg
Finished B.jpgFinished C.jpgFinished D.jpgFinished E.jpg

I decided to base him on a bit of French airfield.
As a kit it is very straightforward and a good one to get started on , I think (except for the bloody cuff title).
Anyway, thanks all for looking and encouraging
Neil
DAMN I've just noticed I need to gloss the peak of his cap:rolling:

D

Deleted member 6559

Brilliant Neil - very nicely done indeed. Bravo!

First Name
Andrew
Great figure Neil.
I was watching a 20 min video of Mike painting the texture on webbing. He had already done some before the video and then says that he’s got another couple of hours to do! That guy has patience as well as skill!
Your guy looks good without it.
Andy