New Bedford Whaler...'Safe Haven'...Completed.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It was a toughy and fought me all the way, but here is the finished build. I hope you approve and thanks for your support during the making of this diddy diorama......

All the buildings and 'things' lying around are scratch made from bits of card and thin plastic sheets. The 1/200 figures didn't have a make name, but look fine.

Here are the rather too many pictures - You should have seen the original number! Trigger happy or what?

New Bedford Whaler 184.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 168.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 182.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 193.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 169.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 171.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 190.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 181.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 167.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 198.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 188.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 176.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 174.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 196.jpg

I did a bit of a rough watercolour back ground for this one...

New Bedford Whaler 177.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 173.jpg

New Bedford Whaler 172.jpg

"Have a good drink tonight boys, but remember, we cast off first light!"

New Bedford Whaler 161.jpg

Me mitt!

New Bedford Whaler 199.jpg

Thanks again for all your comments during the actual build. I appreciated every one of them.

Time to put to sea......

Cheers,

Ron

New Bedford Whaler 180.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

Holy moly Ron! I kid you not, when I first saw the initial picture, I thought you'd posted a restored actual ship!

That's simply amazing, the quality & attention to detail is astounding.

Although it'll take pride of place on display in your household for a while, you should consider lending it out for public display - there must be a museum, library or school that would love to show that off.

( and I'm not saying any of this coz you're now a Moderator!) clear.png

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That is very nicely done Ron, superbly executed. ...... I like it a lot matey.

J

John Rixon

Wow, I must have missed this! I was pretty gobsmacked when I was scrolling through the pix, but totally gobsmacked when I saw the last pic!!! Fantastic work, I take it you use a magnifier??

N

noble

You've out done yourself this time Ron mate, outstanding work.

Scott

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Amazing work Ron, beautifully made and enhanced by the stunning piccies.

This is my fave, just love it,

new-bedford-whaler-161-jpg.140185.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That really is brilliant. I can smell the sea - and I live in the midlands................

D

Deleted member 4539

Have been watching this a lot.

I really enjoyed seeing this come together.

And WOW what a finish,All your hard work has really paid off. :D

I would love to see this in the flesh(so to speak).

C

Caledonia

Well Ron, The first photo, and the one silhouetted against the sky are unbelievably realistic. Top marks as usual, at the risk of repeating myself, this has got to be one of your best works. Derek

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Holy moly Ron! I kid you not, when I first saw the initial picture, I thought you'd posted a restored actual ship!
He has Patrick! Like I said recently, Ron's actually a giant and this is a real ship. All I want to know is which harbour did he visit and how many people did he terrify when he dropped that huge hand on the quayside!?

D

dubster72

\ said:
He has Patrick! Like I said recently, Ron's actually a giant and this is a real ship. All I want to know is which harbour did he visit and how many people did he terrify when he dropped that huge hand on the quayside!?
Haha I thought I heard screams of terror yesterday! Attack of the giant Ron! clear.png

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ever so much for the really excellent response to my model. I am genuinely and utterly well chuffed by your most flattering and yes, humorous comments. Considering it nearly ended up in the bin on more than one occasion, I'm now glad I persevered with the s*d! The one slight let down, that I didn't notice, is the small kinks in the bowsprit standing rigging. I'll see if I can tighten them up a bit. Knowing my previous luck with this build, I'll snap the mast!

John, I've tried using a magnifier in the past. but I can't get along with them one bit...When I look through them, I keep missing what I'm trying to work on, if that makes sense!?

I just use ordinary reading glasses - and pray.

Sorry folks, but I couldn't resist this......I know it's on the original post, but not full size.

I've only just noticed, but see the bloke top left? He looks as though he's just come out of the tavern and having a wee in the gutter. Sheer luck that I positioned that figure right there.

New Bedford Whaler 180.jpg

Anyway, thanks again for all your terrific posts.

Ron

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Ron

What a build when i first saw this i thought you had the usual size ship kit you know about 18" standard size to see you hand against this is mesmurising and the best sea/harbour dio i have seen absolutely brilliant in concept attention to detail and execution

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
absolutely stunning build the detail is museum quality this is one to be very proud of you sure can knock them out the park kidda

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry, Colin and John, our posts crossed.

Thank you so much for the very flattering content. I appreciate it and glad you like the model.

A

american

I am so impressed. Actually :eek:I am jealous!! Well done! This is a master piece and I love every millimeter of your dio!! Good job! Perfect job!