New build, Cagiva Mito Evolution 125

M

m1ks

Scale - 1:1 :smiling3:

OK strictly speaking, not a 'build', more a strip and rebuild and strictly speaking not a model, however.

Bike looks like this, Mini Ducati 916 clone, every 17 yr olds drooling fantasy, (yes i'm trying to recapture my misspent youth in a haze of two stroke fumes, especially as i couldn't afford one of these when I was younger)

Mine currently is stripped to the frame / engine / running gear and was CAKED is crud, you would not believe, it had been the property of a 17 yr old with the typical mechanical sympathy of someone that age.

So a good half day with buckets of WD40 and Gunk and a good hose down then blow off with an airline and we have, ta-da

Yes, theres a bike under the gunge, looks pretty good and I know it runs well, some light surface corrosion to the alloy parts but with the rubbish off not bad.

Plastics to de-crud, wheels to prep and re-spray, then a host of new bits, Fork seals, tyres, brake pads, fluids etc etc

Last edited:
M

m1ks

An awesome 125 stroker too, 33BHP, 105MPH, until they choked it with rules and regs a couple of years later, mine is the first gen, full power version but apparently the later ones were very easily de-restricted with an exhaust mod or change, and a chop and adjustment to the airbox.

I have a suspicion that I'll find it too cramped for my old bones once it's done, MOT'd and on the road again, being used to bigger and typically comfier machines this one felt very cramped when I test rode it but we'll see once i have it set up properly. (if it makes me grin like an idiotic teenager for a months worth of riding before i'm too crippled that'll cheer me up), if only this had been out and far cheaper when I was 17, ahhhhhhh, memories through a haze of blue smoke :smiling3:

It is a gorgeous looking bike itsn't it, so until i've cleared the shed a bit and can afford a 916 this will do. My wife has difficulty understanding the necessity for more than one bike rather than three or four but then I just ask her how that works with shoes, you can only wear one pair at a time :smiling3:

D

delmonteman

A mate of mine had a Mito, de-restricted it and it flew. After one particularly violent thrashing, the exhaust caught fire! Turns out, his brother had been putting fag packet innards down the ehaust.

C

chrisonord

I hope you are going to replace the electrics with something non Italian. I am the owner of and have owned several Italian bikes, all of which have caused me grief.

Lovely looking bike though got to say. have fun!!

Chris.

M

m1ks

That is a nice one, the austrians can design striking machines, (despite their huge gaff of not letting Ewan and Charlie use KTM's for Long way round, ouch, bet someone got their arse kicked for that while BMW laughed long and heartily)

For pure two wheeled gorgeousness though the 916 still has it, even over the new 1098/1198 and such, i personally think it was a pinnacle of sportbike design in looks, next to that the most gergeous Japanese sports bike ever is the Kawaski ZXR750H1, (not that i'm biased because I have on in the shed) :smiling3:

C

chrisonord

The new Ducati Diavel is next for me, the black Carbon one. MMMMMMMM, very nice. Your right about the ZXR too very nice aggressive looking piece of art. Confederate Wildcat is another favourite, not a fan of cruisers, but that thing looks like it would bite you in two.

Z

zooks

Nice little project. Doesn't the Mito have a cogtastic 7 speed box.

T

treyzx10r

Man you guys across the pond still get the 2 smokers ya lucky bastids;)looking forward to seeing more Mike,very nice project.

First Name
Andy
The new "small" bike really do look nice, first time I saw one of these I first thought it was a 916 until I got closer, they really are a sweet looking ride...

The bike to have when I was 16 was the FS1E, but I had to settle with an old Honda 50 step-through, great little bike though, went everywhere, on and off road, I then changed it for a Suzuki TS50ER, being tall it looked a bit better... While I was waiting to turn 17 I managed to buy an RD250 from a breakers, frame was straight but the rest needed a lot of work, got it all finished then they changed to law so I could only have a 125 until I passed my test, so sold it...

17 I got myself a Suzuki GS125 (kick start version) and a couple of other mates also got them, 2 got the electric start versions with the small headlight cowling, once I passed my test I had a load of different bikes and enjoyed every moment...

How are you getting on with this...

Andy...

M

m1ks

not had much time on it to be honest. it's currently on paddock stands and the rear wheel is off, has been degreased and is awaiting attack by a rotary wire brush to loosen the remainder of the flaking paint then it'll be primed and painted followed by the front.

Sold one of my bikes I wasn't using to make space to work on it then a bargain MT500 popped up, well, you know how these things go, so hoping to get the wheels done and new tyres on and refitted before the really really foul weather kicks in then I can move it to get the MT in the shed out of the weather, next project is getting the BMW K MOT'd and sold to make room, ahem