New Bust

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi guys

Getting prepared for Gern's emergency GB I thought I should get back into sculpting a bust.

I like to start with a wooden form ( 1 below) that will be the basis for a build up of various clays. I then start to cover this form with Magic Sculpt to start, fig 2 and 3. The head is a Magic Sculpt base onto which I will sculpt the features using a heat hardening clay.

Steps 1 2 3.jpg

I started this using the mirror to capture my ripped torso, as an academic study from my anatomy books, now I think I should make him into someone. My question is who? I need some suggestions as to who this figure could become.

John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Always amazing how you do these sculptures. As for suggestions a Canadian lumberjack?

Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hmmm,
Whilst a lumberjack would be very cool,maybe a bit obvious?! ....
.... How about a "Peaky Blinder"?!! :smiling3:

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Superb bit of sculpting. Surely a torso that impossibly lean could only belong to a bodybuilder? Or a superhero?

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks guys

Lumber Jack would be difficult since he has no hands etc to hold an axe. I like Peaky Blinders maybe wearing just a vest. Super hero has to be a possibility and I am thinking of perhaps some of the ancient busts of Zeus.

John

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
How about Tony Stark (Iron Man) without his suit on of course, with his little "Mini Reactor" poking out of his chest and glowing in the dark?.......just spit balling here.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Lumber Jack would be difficult since he has no hands etc to hold an axe.
Good point, I assumed they could come later..so my next suggestion would be a walking dead type zombie ‍

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
If I may join the suggesting rabble, the pose, as it is now, with its defiant attitude suggests me a rock or movie star. Probably it is too much muscular for a Freddy Mercury bust but what about Jackie Chan?

Andrea

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I have finally turned him into the ultimate philandering Rock Star ZEUS. Two reasons the hair and' still to be added drapery will be fun challenges and secondly his hair covers up the always hard to sculpt Ears. Still lots to add but here he is so far.

zeus.jpg

Needs quite a bit of cleaning up.

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Certainly something of the rock star about him John, or even a BeeGee vibe….

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes thanks Tim.

So the sculpting is done. You may notice that the face and hair are a little darker than the rest. This is because I use a heat hardened clay for the more detailed bits. It will all be primed with Tamiya extra fine and then I have to decide if I will paint him realistically or if I should just make him look like marble.

sculpt done.jpg

John

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice John you my friend are a Artist no doubt but we all new this anyway lol.