New Compressor - help me decide

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Guys,

looks like I'm going to have to get a new compressor. My trusty (25 year old) SimAir Airbox is playing up, the compressor is not kicking in and topping up the tank until it's empty.

Having a read on here I was initially interested in the AS-186s from John at ~£75. However I then started looking around and saw good reviews of the Sparmax TC-610H Professional which is ~£160.

I've always been a buy once cry once sort of guy, and I am tempted to spend the extra on a decent brand, but really wondered what you guys thought?

Cheers,

Bob

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Bob,
I also have a simair compressor probably about the same sort of age. You may find that’s it just a pressure switch sticking and might just need a service?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Si,

I did think about getting it serviced, however I'm not sure if I can get that done locally, or what sort of cost would be involved. I tried to get information online to see if it's something I could do myself, but it's so old now that I couldn't even find a manual for it.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
That’s a shame, hope mine has life left still!

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I might take it apart at some point and try and get it fixed, always good to have a spare. :smiling3:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I don’t know about the Sparmax, I have had an AS186 , just to be clear the one with a tank, for about 5 years with no problems.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Dave. :smiling3:

I've decided to pull the trigger on the Sparmax. I'm sure the 186 would have been fine but I got a good deal so ordered one.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers for the replies guys. The new pump should be arriving today so I can get back to spraying. :smiling3: