Build along with Wonwing from start to finish -Hawker Tempest V

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Smaller tasks to do today on the Tempest,first the remaining underside stringers were added I wondered what the four holes were for in the former just in front of the wing ? they were for the front ends of the formers to fit into then drawn back towards the rear.

The tailplane and fin were covered in thin depron,this gives a bit more shape to these and stiffens them up without adding weight at the rear,the depron is simply laid over the balsa frame then trimmed and sanded to shape.

The tail wheel is interesting,there was not one supplied in the kit so I took a look at what wheels I have in my stash,the wheel is quite large for a fighter and I found a genuine 1941 wartime wheel made from moulded fire clay,fire clay was considered a non important material in wartime so was used for accessories,a simple wire leg and it was glued into place with jewellery cement ideal for wire to wood joints,the cement is made by Pritt and called 'metal glue' I found it by accident and have used it ever since.

The tailplane glued into place,covered in thin depron to prevent warping.

Next the tail fin,a paper covering has been applied where the canopy sits,this gives it somewhere to grip rather than just on a few stringers,also the covering can butt onto this as well.

Lower stringers and root fillets have been added.

The period wartime large tail wheel made up with a music wire leg.

And the wheel installed with jewellery cement,some cotton binding will be added when dry around the balsa support,then the paper doors can be fitted.

Tail parts soon after cladding with thin depron.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Today I have concentrated on working on the wheel wells,they looked wrong with no inner finishing off so I have inserted material around where the position is for the main wheels,also other work as can be seen in the photographs below with a brief description.

Where the wheel wells are I have added balsa infills so they will look like proper wells once painted,on the upper surface the cartridge paper panel which represents the aircrafts skin also helps the effect,the undercarriage is made to plug in for display and removed for flight,the cannons have been added as well made from balsa dowel with pins for fixing to the leading edges of the wing.

The wing root fillets have been made from cartridge paper that was rolled under a rolling pin resting on carpet underlay to give a slight dished effect.

The paper is fixed with aliphatic resin adhesive,once in place the surface is rubbed with the fingers to smooth it out onto the framework,it quickly grabs,by pressing gently you can ease it around compound curves.

The distinctive cannons made from balsa dowel sanded by hand,once primed they will be drilled for added effect.

Looking down onto the wing fillets.

Basic wheel parts,these slot into the corresponding slot on the wing underside,balsa traps the wire end fixings.

The rolled paper tailwheel doors cut to shape and mounted,laminated glued paper is excellent material for things like this.

Undercarriage hydraulic suspension represented with rolled paper and barbecue sticks cranked in the middle with a smidgin of adhesive.

Wheel doors pre painted with black/white identification underwing stripes ( not to be confused with invasion stripes ) white is artists gesso primer just happened to be conveniently at hand,these doors will be mounted onto the printers litho plate seen to the left making them warp free once fixed into place onto the mainwheel legs.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Concentrating on the undercarriage assemblies today and made good headway as can be seen here,materials and construction details under each photograph.

You can see the wheel well infills here in this view,much better than seeing voids into the wing.

Sitting on her undercarriage for the first time,I have blocked in the cockpit with scrap depron to stop the rubber lubricant from splashing into the clear canopy,a lesson learned from many similar situations in the past !

The undercarriage slots,a good fit into the receptive boxes in the wings.

The doors were glued to printers litho plate for more stability.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Barry,
This is really looking good. what do you mean by water shrunk?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The cockpit canopy has been added,some areas of the model have been lightly painted,I say lightly because paint is heavy to a flying model and needs to be applied sparingly,some areas will be left grey tissue colour,the white/black identification bands are done with artists gesso chosen because the white gives good coverage with one coat.
The panels above the wheel wells wrinkled on me and they are being sanded and smoothed down,I made a mistake by not applying paste onto the paper and the tissue wrinkled,we are constantly learning new things.

The kit propeller will be used for test flying and a three blader is being carved for display purposes.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A bit of lightly applied artists watercolour paint brings the Hawker Tempest V alive,I broke the exhausts off while handling so will make some more stronger ones,the repaired overwing panels were left in primer to see how they settle down.