New Paint

First Name
Penny
Hey Guys, Ill post the question first then the explaination as, well, you know me, I do waffle on a bit.

I need to start my paint collection again, which brand do I go for. Im thinking of AK interactive

So, in a nutshell, I had a couple of bad moves and due to poor finances the contents of a lock up are now gone, so my model supplies are very limited and I need to rebuild.

Most specifically Im aiming at building US Navy aircraft but I will build other models and I want to use a range that is realistic so Ive downloaded the very excellent Aircraft colours and Camoflague page

It lists all the relevant colours based on the year and Id like to go with this.

My previous favourite was Vallejo Model Color but there are a lot of gaps for this colour, and although there are still gaps AK Interactive seems to be good matches for a lot of the years.

So more detailed questions

Are AK Interactive really great paints. As good as the AK You tube site claims
What are they like for airbrush work?
What are they like for brush work?
Thinning. Can I use ordinary thinners. I normally use a "home brew" thinner which is essentially this

Any help is appreciated

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Do you use an airbrush?

If so then lacquers are the best option. I would recommend MRP lacquers as they are easy to work with being airbrush ready and ultra thin. They have a huge colour range identified by their colour standards, ie ANA, FS, RLM, BS etc. All the colours you need for WW2 main combatants are there along with a lot more. They also come in large 30ml bottles that clearly identify them.

You will need a small range of ‘basic’ water based colours to hand brush fine detail over them as lacquers are not good for hand brushing. I have a grand total of 11 Vallejo Model Colour for this (and 193 of MRP)

First Name
Penny
Do you use an airbrush?

If so then lacquers are the best option. I would recommend MRP lacquers as they are easy to work with being airbrush ready and ultra thin. They have a huge colour range identified by their colour standards, ie ANA, FS, RLM, BS etc. All the colours you need for WW2 main combatants are there along with a lot more. They also come in large 30ml bottles that clearly identify them.

You will need a small range of ‘basic’ water based colours to hand brush fine detail over them as lacquers are not good for hand brushing. I have a grand total of 11 Vallejo Model Colour for this (and 193 of MRP)
Im really not a fan of anything that is not water based. I much prefer water pabed paints and then Ill do weathering in enamal based products.

I do use airbrushes for larger areas but I am much more of a fan of brushwork. Thats why Im asking if they will work well for both. Id rather have a nice thick paint that I thin down to my needs than have to buy one for brushwork and another bottle of the same colour for airbrush work.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm gradually replacing my paints with AK3, as older bottles run out - I find them consistent - I brush & airbrush with them - I use good old tapwater to thin them, without any problems.................
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Like wise with Dave , changing over as required .

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
No single range may meet all your needs mate - don't be afraid to 'mix 'n match' !
Steve

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Bovril and marmite you probably won't find two thoughts the same here the ak third gen seems to be popular ive a few personally dont rate it as my ammo stuff depleats ill go back to mr hobby aqueous and tamiya ,as Barry says lacquer paints are best through the airbrush but if like me you use the dining room table you become very unpopular using them. Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I like and use Vallejo Model color as my main range. Brushes well, sprays well. There are a few gaps in the range though I think that is down to the daft names most of the colours have. Many of them are a pretty good match to the real thing but its a task finding them. I also find them reasonably unaffected but Tamiya extra thin. As long as you let it dry untouched. Handy for adding all the small detail parts after painting.
Yes it crinkles the paint but as it dries, 99% of the time it flattens down again.

First Name
Penny
Bovril and marmite you probably won't find two thoughts the same here the ak third gen seems to be popular ive a few personally dont rate it as my ammo stuff depleats ill go back to mr hobby aqueous and tamiya ,as Barry says lacquer paints are best through the airbrush but if like me you use the dining room table you become very unpopular using them. Dave
Yes I agree, there are always many differing opinion, but I think I got the answer I needed in that AK 3rd Gen seems to be a good paint. Yes, unfortunately I am like you in that laquer paint isnt an option for me as I too have the dining room doubling up as a hobby room. PLus, and yes, Ill confess, Im really lazy at cleaning. I like to use water paints as they clean up so easily. I have a few coffee jars filled with various solutions to aid me in my airbrush cleaning. I also use the airbrush as little as often, although this is mainly because I just prefer to paint with a brush. I only really use airbrushes when the area to be painted is just too large, or Im after a particular effect like blending colours through a transition.

So, thank you all, my questions have all been answered and as usual you have been the stars of the show.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Yes I agree, there are always many differing opinion, but I think I got the answer I needed in that AK 3rd Gen seems to be a good paint. Yes, unfortunately I am like you in that laquer paint isnt an option for me as I too have the dining room doubling up as a hobby room. PLus, and yes, Ill confess, Im really lazy at cleaning. I like to use water paints as they clean up so easily. I have a few coffee jars filled with various solutions to aid me in my airbrush cleaning. I also use the airbrush as little as often, although this is mainly because I just prefer to paint with a brush. I only really use airbrushes when the area to be painted is just too large, or Im after a particular effect like blending colours through a transition.

So, thank you all, my questions have all been answered and as usual you have been the stars of the show.
Penny,
I only started using an airbrush when water-based acrylics became widely available - I live in a flat & the smell of enamel/white spirit hung around, with just brush painting - so using an airbrush was not an option. With acrylics, though no problem - when cleaning my airbrush, the last 'blow through', before putting it away is water with a few drops of lemon washing up liquid!
Dave