New Robbe Submarine

K

KenP

I was over at Westbourne Models this morning and saw a box that was new to me. It was a new Robbe submarine, called U2540 a U-Boat mark XXI , I think.

About 6' long, dynamic diving, comprehesive instruction manual with loads of construction photos. Includes all fittings, including motors etc. has retractable diving planes. Price, verbal quote, was £350

Less than half the price of an Engles. !!!!!!

D

Drilmar

True, but remember this is a dynamic diving model, whereas Engel models are static diving, and the prices includes the dive modules.

Not really comparing similar products.

D

Drilmar

I don't think there is a "yes or no" answer to that question.

It purely depends on what the particular individual wants.

Some believing that static diving is truer to scale, whereas others are equally happy with the end results of dynamic diving.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Can you explaion the difference between dynamic diving & static diving please ?

D

Drilmar

Basically Static Diving is where the boat contains some form of ballast tank/tanks. These can be filled with water, to cause the boat to submerge, or "pumped out" , for resurfacing. There are various methods of controlling the water levels, e.g. pumps, gas/air pressure systems, etc. This method can be used to control the dive/surfacing of the submarine even when not moving forward, hence the term Static Diving.

This method of control is more akin to full size practice, and lends itself to very sophisticated forms of automatic trim and depth controls, at a price of course, as per the original comments

With Dynamic Diving on the other hand it is a more simplified method of control, where the model is ballasted to a point of neutral bouyancy, then the use of the dive planes during forward motion will cause the model to dive and resurface as required. Similar to elevator control in an aircraft model. This method will only work during forward motion of the model, and stopping will cause it to resurface, regardless of dive plane control.

I hope this gives some insight into the basic differences of the two systems.

Peter.

D

Drilmar

KenP,

Just to add that I agree the Robbe kits produce excellent models, and are good value for money.

I have an Eden Type VII, & Trafalgar, an Engel Type IX, and the Robbe Type XXI looks very tempting!!!!!

Peter.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thank you Peter for that excellent explanation,much appreciated.

K

KenP

Hi Drilmar,

What do you reckon to the detail and fittings on your Engel Type IX ?

I presume it's the U177 hull and fittings?

Any problems cutting the "slots" in the hull? ( I believe they are pre-cut inn the Robbe U2540)

KenP

D

Drilmar

Hi KenP,

Yes it is the U-177, but I didn't build it, I was lucky to get it from a friend who was disposing of it. Also, there was extra work done on the weathered type finish, so I can't really comment on an "out of the box" model, but I am sure that the cutting of the slots will be very time consuming.

The slots are precut on both Robbe kits, Type VII and Type XX1.

Have you seen the Type VII from John Bertola? A combination of mouldings from him, and precut deck and fittings from Accurate Armour.

Accurate Armour also do a diorama type Type VII and Dock area, at 1/35th scale I think, but it is a resin waterline model. Very detailed.

Peter.

K

KenP

Hi Peter.

Looked up John Bertola via Google. He doesn't appear to have his own Webb site.

But..... his Type VII looks pretty good.

However it is about as pricy as an Engels kit, it may have more detail though but that is difficult to tell without seeing the kit etc .

Pros are the detail of the sub and it is cheaper than an Engels if you use his modular diving system ( not specified as to type of system, dynamic or static . ) The diving system is £250 and the sub kit is £520.

Cons, he doesn't appear to like credit cards. I like to use them for card protection rather than send a cheque and hope for the goods sight unseen.

If you put in an Engels static diving system then it gets really expensive,

No info on the internet re plans, build instructions, etc.

all in all a bit of a shot-in-the-dark buy.

Good food for thought though !!!!!!

KenP

D

Drilmar

Hi KenP,

I have the data brochure from JB on his Type VII, when I can retrieve it from my "filing system" I will get a copy to you, just for general interest.

This could take "a day or two", a true comment on my "filing system"!

Peter