New to Tamyia Acrylics and want to know the best way to brush paint with them?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Does this count as a large area?Trumpeter 72nd STUG III.

All Tamiya acrylic. All brushed.

Sorry your experience has been apparently all been bad. I've found the paint friendly when thinned and retarded properly.
Nice job, I also have brush painted 1/72 (1/76 )armour with tamiya acrylics with good results but I found anything larger a real struggle. The finish required on an aircraft needs to be quite good regardless of the scale ,its just something i dont think is easily achievable by brushing these paints on larger scale models.Here are a few i have brushed with tamiya , 1/76 armour and 1/144 aircraft ,but anything bigger gets sprayed. cheers tonyView attachment 41153

View attachment 41154

View attachment 41155

P1040137 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1050690 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1080623 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

A

andygh

Sorry you didn't find my post helpful
Sorry, I seem to have raised a hackle

I'm just trying to be helpful

I think the consensus shows that brush painting Tamiya is a pain without as you say "proper technique" or retarding, why bother when easier alternatives are available

PS. I love spraying Tamiya, Gunze, Lifecolor etc. & I love brush painting with Vallejo and Andrea

Use whichever paint you like, if you're happy with your results fine, each to their own

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Can we conclude that some people like Tamiya others dont for brush painting.

I have never closed a thread due to it becoming a contest to have the final word. I have no with to do so.

I think that the original question has had reasonable comment. Some helpful, some not directly helpful but a valid point of view.

Can we either get this thread on track again or let it lie.

Ian M

J

jbank

\ said:
Can we conclude that some people like Tamiya others dont for brush painting.I have never closed a thread due to it becoming a contest to have the final word. I have no with to do so.

I think that the original question has had reasonable comment. Some helpful, some not directly helpful but a valid point of view.

Can we either get this thread on track again or let it lie.

Ian M
Let me start off here with an apology. I had no intention, and still don't, of stirring emotions or suggesting even vaguely that anyone's favorite paint be replaced with Tamiya with my posts. My point, perhaps unartfully expressed, was that Tamiya acrylics can be brushed to a nice finish. That is all.

I'm not trying to convert anyone to brushing Tamiya acrylic paints. I'm not an advocate of any brand of paint. Each have their own characteristics and each may be more appropriate in some circumstances than in others.

yak face - Looking at your attached photos, it looks to me that the paint was curing as you painted. The cure time needs to be slowed considerably. This way you will not get paint rolling up on your brush as you stroke. Your comment on small areas was very valid. My posting of the STUG was meant as an example of a larger area brushed. My text was not measured. In fact, it was needlessly antagonistic. Please accept my apologies.

andygh - No hackles raised here. I took your comment as being wry. I was amused. I was trying to reply in kind, hence the smiley. Sorry, my amusement didn't come off in response.

I think I'll leave my comments as they are here. I am sorry for the ruckus I've kicked up.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
No need to apologise j (youll have to let us know your name!), im sure no one has taken any comments as anything other than a discussion ,i certainly havent. Youre right about the paint looking like its curing as its being brushed , on the hunter it was the final matt coat that caused this effect ,and this was a revell paint!! cheers tony

A

andygh

It’s often difficult to express ourselves with a keyboard & things end up get misunderstood, no offence intended or taken :peace:

Nice looking models by the way :score:

Anyhow, I hope Gobby58 got something useful out of this thread :thumbsup:

T

TonyBv9

\ said:
Anyhow, I hope Gobby58 got something useful out of this thread :thumbsup:
I certainly did. Your tip for softening the edges of camo patches by using thinner on the base coat is great. I will give this one a try in the future.

Thanks,

Tony

D

dubster72

oooh I missed this thread! What a palaver! Whilst I'd agree in general that Tamiya acrylics are not brush-friendly, I have recently been experimenting with Mr Color lacquer thinner which also contains a retarder. The results on bare plastic are much the same, but on a primed surface they go on very well with a nice smooth finish.

Cheers

Patrick

C

CDW

Interesting thread of sorts .... some good points, personal methods and a few nice tips in there.

I'm a bit obsessed with Citadel acrylics myself, very rarely use rattle cans (cheapo black, grey and white) and only use an air brush for getting a background wash on larger areas (hence i have a 12.99 humbrol disposable jobbie)