New to trains - any advice?

S

Sauber

Greetings,

I have been modelling for a number of years now, starting with planes and finding a little more success in racing cars (I've posted a few on this site in the past). I've not done one for a few months now as GSCEs took precedent for a while, but a trip to Chester led me to a model zone closing down sale where I found a Revell BR 01 and BR 02 twin pack for only £12. I bought them as I have always liked steam trains and these trains reminded me of the working BR 52 Kriegslokomotiven I saw on holiday in Germany last year. As I have never built a locomotive kit before, is there any advice specific to this style that anyone can give me before I start? Perhaps which paints are best for colour matching would be great. Advice given to me when I started cars, such as using sandpaper on rubber tyres, turned out to be very useful, so anything you may have to offer would definitely be of use. I have loved the friendly and constructive advice I have found on this site.Thanks in advance, I am definitely looking forward to trying something new.

N

noble

Hi Benji i've built a few locos mainly in 1/35 scale but two deisels in 1/87, only thing i can say is this type of modelling needs a little more patience. Don't try rushing through this especially if you have to build up the chassis frame. Make sure that you bulid at least this part on a smooth flat bench, and ensure that the frame is flat and square and level. Once you get this right everything else will naturally fall into place just go slow and take your time. If you want take a look at my BR52, BR86 and bp 44 armoured train it will hopefully help at least a little.

scott

S

Sauber

Hi Scott. Thanks for the heads up on the chassis, I'll watch out and take my time over that. I had imagined it might be a little more time consuming and fiddly than other stuff I have done and so I'll definitely take you advice on being patient. I'd love to take a look at your trains, I'm sure it'll be a great help.

Thanks again,

Benji