New tooling Airfix Hawk

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi all.

I have been moaning about the quality of some Airfix stuff lately (and been reprimanded for it !) so I will give it another go to see if the new generation tooled kits are better.

I got hold of a 1/72 BAE Hawk 120 as the SAAF uses it and I have the decals for the SAAF plane.

At first glance it looks to be a well engineered kit with some nice detail.(Impressed so far)

I will post on the fit later.The one thing Airfix has outdone themselves with is the Decal sheet! This is enormous and looks to be of good quality.It even gives the dificult to mask colour sceeme as decals.

I will post on my progress soon.

What was the cockpit colour of the BAE RAF hawk 120/128's???

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Well, since I cant paint the harvard at work, I made a bit of progress on the Hawk.

I have joined the fuse halves with some sanding needed to get it to fit, same with the wing tops and bottoms.

The moulding for the wingtips were to thick and I had to sand quite a bit away to make it fit well.

The wing to fuse joint is acceptable, but it will require some filler to get right.

Pix to follow

Theuns

PS. here are the colours it will be in.

View attachment 35941

View attachment 35942

hawk.jpg

hawk 2.jpg

T

T. van Vuuren

The plane so far. I droped the flaps, filled/sanded the joint lines and modified the flap hindges.

Painting soon I hope!

Only hassle I foresee is the embrittlement cord in the canopy, it is very obviouse, but way to fine to try and paint on...........

Theuns

View attachment 36503

View attachment 36504

models 001.jpg

models 002.jpg

T

T. van Vuuren

Completed atlast!

I had some fit issues on the canopy, but appart from that and the deep pannels I am happy with it.

The SAAF decals are aftermarket and the paint is Humbrol enamels free handed on.

It is of plane # 251 of 85 advanced figter school.

I did like the newtool hawk, but I feel the newtool 1/72 Spit 9 was better quality of fit and finer engraved pannellines. Hopefully the new line from Airfix will follow the same route and they will have a winning series!

Theuns

View attachment 38180

View attachment 38181

models 053.jpg

models 054.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice result Theuns.

T'is a nice bird the Hawk- and a very nice build of one. Are you slowly becoming an Airfix convert?

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi theuns, great job! Looks like it wasnt all plain sailing but it came out fantastic in the end. Excellent work on the two tone grey camo- not an easy paint job to get right ,especially in 1/72. cheers tony

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Lads. Well, let's just sat that if Airfix keeps up the quality and price like they did on the newtool Spit, then yes I do like them ....allot LOL! (never thought I would say that!)

It surely is no TamiGawa, but for the $ it is good, and I like their range in 1/72 scale.Have not done any of the new 1/48's yet.

The painting was a tad chalanging, but I think it is acceptable. I have in the meantime managed to break my badger airbrush and it will cost lots to fix! So I might try my hand at a 1/72 Airfix Bf 110 and see if I can still brush paint..........stay tuned!

Theuns