Newbie airbrush options

M

munkster

From a brief search I can see that this is an oft-requested subject area but I wondered if someone could give me any reason why I would opt for this

Spraymaster High Detail Gravity Feed d/a Airbrush Kit

over this

2010 MODEL AIRBRUSH KIT COMPLETE WITH COMPRESSOR AS18

Both have gravity feed brushes and both are dual action (I am told by a mate that these are Good Things??) but one kit includes two airbrushes. Is this just a gimmick or is the second brush worth having? Or is the single brush set up of superior quality perhaps?

Total newbie to this so go easy on me!!

Thanks in advance as ever :smiling:

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Well, it looks to me that the compressor is the same in both so it is down to the airbrushes. the single airbrush set has a fixed cup on the AB rather than the clip on types on the twin set. Personally I prefer a fixed cup as it is less likely to get damaged when cleaning out, quite possible will stuffing some kitchen towel in the cup to clean it that damage can be done to the pie that connects the removable ones. I have heard of these actually snapping off while cleaning. This is very unlikely to happen to the top mounted fixed cup.

Are two airbrushes needed? Well, I know that some like the extra capacity of the bottle feed that the second AB has in the twin set for spraying primer and varnish on large models. As I rarely do anything over 1:48, I don't find the small cups a problem, they hold more than you would think and it goes a long way. The single AB also has the trigger stop control in the handle rather than the screw at the end of the handle. All this does it allows you to set how far back, and therefore controlling the amount of paint, the trigger will pull back. This can be very handy for beginners when trying to do fine lines as they only have to worry about pressing down on the trigger (controls the amount of air) as the trigger stop will limit the pull back on the trigger (controls paint flow), this is the duel action.

The quality of the airbrushes will be about the same, generic Chinese made and can be surprisingly good. Most of us started with one of these, including myself, and after upgrading to a better engineered AB still use the old Chinese ones for some jobs, I know I certainly do even though I now have an Iwata AB.

Either set will get you going and should last a fair time. My only concern is the strength of the mounting for the removable cups on the twin set. Others may,I am sure, dissagree with me ;)

M

msm2

I have the eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace which brought last week. I cannot fault it. Check some of my other threads.

F

Fenlander

Have to say Tony that the extra £10 or so for the tank is well worth it and would make a better choice in my opinion. The tank offers a reservoir of air so that the air supply to the AB is constant and does not 'pulse' like the none tank version. I know that people get along fine without a tank but I like them.

M

munkster

If I were wearing a hat I would take it off to you for the speed and detail of the reply - much appreciated.

Are we suggesting that the link in msm2 (Tony??) 's post is a better bet then? Is the tank the huge thing on bottom of the compressor by any chance?

F

Fenlander

It is, the black thing. The compressor fills this with air and then stops running. As you use the air the compressor will kick in to re charge it so that you do not have the compressor running all the time. Well worth it in my opinion. My small compressor only has a very small tank and it does keep the compressor running more than I would like. I would certainly go for the tank version. The AB will be the same quality as any of the others, they all supply the same ones, just slightly different in cosmetic looks.

Although this one has the removable cups by the look of it. Maybe Tony could comment on them, I am only going on what I have read, never enough to make an informed decision.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I would go for a compressor with a reservoir (tank). I prefer a paint cup which is integral to the airbrush for the same reasons as Graham. I also notice that the first one has a 0.2mm nozzle which IMHO is quite small for spraying some model paints. I have brushes with 0.3mm nozzles which may not sound much of a difference but are 50% bigger. With care you can spray a very fine line with them.

Cheers

Steve

M

msm2

I can post some pics of the one I have here,showing the compressor and airbrushes that I recieved.

Tony..

M

munkster

I can post some pics of the one I have here,showing the compressor and airbrushes that I recieved.
That would be good if you have them to hand, don't worry too much if it's a hassle. Did you buy your kit from the actual link you posted then? Starting to get a few quid more expensive than my original post options of course

:guilty:

M

msm2

I did buy from that link. No probs at all with seller. Post pics later as my net is running slow.

Tony..

M

munkster

Looks good thanks for posting that - maybe I ought to buy one - I think I deserve it :smiling:

(I don't, but when does that ever stop us??)

M

msm2

No probs anything to help. Airbrushes come with spare part diagrams.

Tony..

M

munkster

You know what... I think you might be right :hehe:

Whether "She Who Must Be Obeyed" agrees is another matter entirely.