Newbie paint problem?

First Name
Stu
Hi all, not sure if anybody can offer some advice please. I have just "re started", and decided to have a practice on a basic model (Airfix Red Arrows starter kit), before moving on to something a little more exotic.

I have cleaned all the plastic as previously advised, (warm water, washing up liquid). I have applied some of the acrylic red which was provided with the kit. Initially it seems to "wipe off" as soon as I applied it. However I left it alone to dry assuming I would need another coat or two, but after re-painting the 2nd coat it does not seem to add any extra "depth" of colour?....ie you can still clearly see the "grey" (original) colour of the plastic underneath?

I have never used acrylic before. Do I need to use a primer first? (If so should this be a red primer?) Could the paint have "gone off? (I gave it a good mix before application). At the mo I am just practicing on the "underside/none visible" part of the plastic.

many thanks for any advice.. :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Red paint is inherently transparent in nature Stu. It will show the underlying plastic. I would prime first with a red primer and then expect to put on three or more coats of red to get a good depth of colour. Don’t be tempted to put the red paint on too thick, it won’t help and will just leave brush marks and obscure detail. Thin multiple layers are the way to go. Good luck!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
a primer would definatly help........gives the paint something to adhere to

is this an airfix starter kit with those little pots of paint?.........cos they are rubbish to use

and as tim has said, red is a not the best colour for coverage

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Stu,
we did a group build beginning of 2019 - using starter kits only - no additional paint or other bits - I did the Airfix Jet Provost - all over Red! The red paint didn't cover very well, and I did four coats - I would have done more, but I ran out of paint.................
Red is a difficult colour - you really do need a red primer under it to make it work. Don't be put off by this, everyone has problems with it! As an additional comment - those tiny Airfix paint pots aren't up to much anyway, get some Vallejo, MiG, AK acrylics for your next build :thumb2:
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Like Tim said, red paint is transparent to a degree — not just the Airfix one, but pretty much all red paint. The same goes for yellow and, surprisingly to a seemingly lesser degree, orange. The smooth plastic you’re painting it onto probably also doesn’t really help in getting it to cover well.

As the others suggested, a coat of primer will likely help a lot, but another trick you can use is to put on a different colour first instead of primer. Preferably one fairly close to what you need, like a medium brown if you want to paint the model red. However, this will cause the red to appear more brownish exactly because of the red paint’s inherent transparency.

Since this is a Red Arrows plane, probably the simplest way to get it to look right will be to build it, mask the canopy and spray it with red paint from an aerosol can. You don’t necessarily need to use model paint for that: you can get a suitable colour of car paint for this just as well.

Last edited:
First Name
Stu
..hi all and thanks for the brilliant advice!!

..yes its a starter kit that includes the little paint pots. Was not expecting a lot to be honest, just wanted to try my hand at something before I "moved on". It seems a good idea to buy a can of "red" spray, particularly given that the main feature of this model is the red paint!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just be careful you shake the can well and don't flood the model with paint. Keep the can moving while spraying....Tamiya sprays are good by the way, more suited to models than car sprays.

D

Deleted member 5496

Stu assume you are using Airfix (Humbrol Paint0 which came with the kit.

How I do it.

Clean as you mention. Then I use a 1000 gauge wet & dry paper with lots of water. Gets shot of the shine on the plastic plus gives a grip on the plastic for the paint.
After wet & dry clean, as there is residue, I use some airbrush cleaner better than water as it removes grease.

Then primer. For acrylics I use Stynylerez. Found it first class as it wet & dries well (1200 gauge paper) to give a nice finish for the finishing paint. Also if necessary it sands to a perfect edge & does not peel.

Just recently used red but Tamiya. Not sure if you are hand painting or airbrush. Tamiya stay away from hand painting.

Airfix paint. I would thin down a lot for the first coat & quite a bit for subsequent coats. Make sure the paint is cured between coats.

Airbrushing is much easier to get a consistent depth of paint with red. Hand brushing really thin down.

Just a thought is the red gloss ? If so get some flat red as close as possible. Gloss is the very devil to use direct on plastic also as a first coat on primer. Two coats of base flat red then gloss.

Laurie

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just be careful you shake the can well and don't flood the model with paint. Keep the can moving while spraying....Tamiya sprays are good by the way, more suited to models than car sprays.

and make sure you take precautions.....not nice to breathe in!

First Name
Stu
ta for all the good advise.....just brought some red spray paint of Amazon...Humbrol I think...will give it a go on the back of a piece to try it out....

..longer term I like the idea of airbrushing, but too early days at the mo given that if I do go down that route I would want a "better quality" system, and I understand these cost quite a bit...

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
and I understand these cost quite a bit...

depends................you can get cheapo 'starter' sets that work quite well, to see if you get on with it, for 50 to 80 quid if you look

you would be surprised how many model makers started out with one, with a cheap chinese air brush, before moving on to something better

and dont think of it as a 'cost', think of it as an 'investment'...........look after it and it will last a long time

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Stu,
don't get the idea that a top of the range compressor gives better results than a budget model ! It's compressed air - it doesn't matter whether it comes from a £1000 machine, or £100 it's still compressed air! The airbrush itself - yes, you can spend a lot of money for a quality product. I've been using the AS186 since 2013, with really cheap & really expensive airbrushes, no problems..........
John has them in stock.................
https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/pr...or-with-cooling-fan-scale-model-shop-as-186s/
Dave

First Name
Stu
..ta for the advise. I had assumed getting an airbrush would make me a better modeller :smiling3: ..but I will wait a while longer and see how I get on!..

..and thanks for the heads up regarding compressors...I will be back at the appropriate time to seek further advise on all things airbrushes!!

D

Deleted member 5496

I had assumed getting an airbrush would make me a better modeller :smiling3: ..

Ha ha no. But the airbrush may make painting easier & perhaps, depending on your hand brushing, give a better finish.

Years ago there used to be, I am sure it was on this forum during my first stint, a model maker who only made Lancasters. All were hand painted.
From memory he use to sit in his armchair watching TV while painting. Superb finishes he achieved.

Laurie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi mate
Experience makes you a better modeller. The tools just make some tasks easier or give more reliable results ..... make sure you enjoy the hobby before splashing the cash....try a few different kits and genres and see which way you want to go first.

First Name
Stu
..good advise. I have a Tamiya 1/35 Panzer waiting in the wings, but I also got a cheapie Airfix 1/72 version to practice on after my "Red Arrows", but I think I might chose another cheapie or two first and see how they go....always fancied a Lanc as I had one when I was a boy in short trousers, and my dad was ground crew on them during the war.....and at least they are mainly black which might help with my lack of painting ability!... ;)..

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Agreed with Tim: you need the basic tools like a knife and cutters, and a few other basic ones like sandpaper and some small files make your life easier from the start, but really, everything beyond a modelling knife is not 100% necessary for modelling. As your skill develops, you’ll discover other tools you’ll have a use for, but it’s far better to base your tool choice on experience rather than expecting more tools to give you better results.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
if you want a red that real pops, use a yellow base coat.
My only comment about the cheap compressors is this. Buy the best that you can afford. Been there got the T-shirt. A cheap compressor at say £50 suddenly is not so cheap after you have tried three of them.
Many of the different makes are basically all same just a different colour.... Almost always are poorly made diaphragm type jobs. I have seen some with rubber o-rings on the piston. Great fun when they heat up and stop the piston until it cools down. Spend a bit more and buy a reputable brand.